Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Wega 42" Lcd Rear Projection TV. What do ye think?

Options
  • 31-10-2005 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Was thinking of buying this TV on ebay.
    SONY WEGA 42" LCD 100Hz DOLBY FLAT WIDESCREEN
    Do any of ye have one of these, or know someone who does. Was just wondering what they are like. One of the biggest advantages of this model for me is the PC input. However I have read some negative comments about pixelisation and bad black levels.
    Also, what do you think of the price. It would cost about €1250 delivered, to me that sounds OK, but I don't know that much about these things.

Padraig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

thats not really an lcd, its a rear projector with a tiny lcd inside made by texas instruments. the light from a powerful bulb is shone thru the lcd and the image is projected onto the scree.
    its not something u will hang on ur wall lets put it that way, the back sticks out 3 foot at least.
    picture is excellent when u look at it straight on, very bright and well defined. however if u look at an angle its basically useless, excellent price also.
    downside is the bulb life and the constantly rotating colour wheel. bulbs are 3 or 4 hundred and need replacing every 2 years. motors go in colour wheels etc.
    my advice is to buy a 37 inch true lcd and sit back and enjoy it. plasma is virtually dead and is only soldering on, lcd offers numberous advantages over plasma, including low electricity consumption, alot less heat, so will last alot longer. also pq is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

I know its not an LCD. But its LCD rear projection as opposed to DLP or CRT rear projection. CRT RP is too bulky I think, and I don't like the "rainbow" effect from DLP.
    In a perfect world I'd love a 42" LCD, I know they are a much better TV, but try finding one for that price with that resolution!
    However, about the bulbs, I have heard very differing views on this, has anyone owned a rear projection TV. How often (if ever) did you have to change the bulb? How much do new bulbs cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lomb wrote:
    its not something u will hang on ur wall lets put it that way, the back sticks out 3 foot at least.

Its actually less than 18 inches.

Advertisement