Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

File Missing Error

• 31-10-2005 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

windows wont start a file is missing or corrupt-install<windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

A friend is getting this error when starting his laptop,I have googled the problem but any hits i got eg,forums on the topic were to techie for me and/or didn't seem to resolve the problem.
    I also tried searching boards posts but its disabled.
    I will be picking up said lappie later so any suggestions/help would be kindly appreciated.

its an ACER t212(OR SOMTHING, ABOUT 3AND HALF YRS OLD)
    OH YEA RUNNING XP PRO
    Can i use the XPdisc and just do a repair?

THANKS in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

has she been pissing about trying to change the windows boot screen?
    if so, it should just be a case of restoring that file from cd...
    (you may even be able to boot into safe mode if that file is missing/corrupt iirc... i have a feeling i'm wrong there though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

could u get a screen shot of boot.ini file it could be that thats corrupted

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Could be a failing hard disk! Maybe that file is on a bad sector and therefore unreadable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

I guess a screenshot is out of the question as it wont get far enough on startup.I believe it was a fresh install that was working.He did say he had turned off and on a few times with no problems then suddenly got the error.
    would it be a bios problem or is it just the windows software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

usually a hard disk problem, could try to reinstall windows over the current install, see if that fixes it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

Im off to work now please keep suggestions coming
    any links to hard drive checking type software reccomended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

pogcica wrote:
    would it be a bios problem or is it just the windows software?

If it was a bios problem it might not even give you any screen, so its either a bad hd or just windows ****ed up.

1. See if you can boot to safe mode, if so just perform a system restore.
    2. Boot to a command promt using cd and run chkdsk /r,could sort also.
    3. Find out what hd it is from the BIOS and then u can go to the manufactur's website and download the diagnostic tool from it. Depending on size it could take up to an hour to complete, but at least u'll know if the HD is dead or not.

Advertisement