Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The A-League

• 31-10-2005 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I had to sample the local football, of course.

I've been to two games so far. Sydney Fc -v- New Zealand Knights last week, and Sydney FC -v- Newcastle Jets yesterday.

The away support is a non-event. There were 12,000 at the NZ game, and 9,000 at the Newcastle game. NO NZ fans, and about 500 Newcastle fans, Newcastle is just a bit up the coast from Sydney, I expected more.

This saturday, I'm thinking of going to the Sydney FC game, away to the Central Coast Mariners.

Anyway, on to the football. NZ weren't the best, and Sydney made light work of them, winning 2-0. The defending in the league as a whole is shocking, but there are some good forward players. Sydney seemed to be lacking in the Left Wing department too. I'm not too up on the names yet, apart from Dwight Yorke, of course. He looks like he can't be arsed half the time, he certainly doesn't want to run. His touch is Zidane-esque compared to those around him though, and what he lacks in the movement, he makes up for with his superior ball-holding and pass-spotting skills. He draws a lot of fouls. But he misses easy chances.

It's enjoyable to get to see actual live football again, and I tihnk the likes of Shels, Cork City, Derry City and maybe even Bohemians could hold their own down here.

The Sydney FC fans love Terry McFlynn, and they use the "Oh Teddy Teddy Teddy Sheringham" for him. :D

Anyway, I'll efinitely be heading back for my live football fix over the coming months.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Good to see you're not missing out on the fix! :) At least you don't have to resort to a bar stool for your fix just yet! ;)

Aren't those players paid like 15K a week?! 12,000 fans to see players who can't control a ball is quite shocking, but a huge success for the marketing over there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

That's cool, cheers for that. I've wanted to hear a bit about the A-League since its makeover.

12,000's not bad...how big is the stadium?

Nice to hear some of our sides would be up to the pace out there...I'm a little suprised though that you weren't more impressed, I thought they'd be a step up tbh. :confused:

By what you've said, Dwight York seems to be out there for the sunshine and the pay day? :/ ahh well....

Keep us up to date if you get the chance...I'd like to hear more. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Great hearing from you seansouth and that your getting your fix of football anyway. Hope your living it all up over there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hmmm, not a premiership thread, so only 38 views at my time of looking.

Dont ya just love Irish 'football' fans'? :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Good to see a look at another league. Hows the standard though when compared to eL? Above? Below? Barstool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I watched the NY/NJ Metrostars when I lived in New York. I have to say I enjoyed it... Nice to see a team progress and get better over time and support them from the start as such...

Im usually interested in these 'new' leagues and how they progress. They can only make football stronger in the lesser-known football nations such as USA and Australia were. They have good sides now....

I still try to follow MLS as best I can these days.

Hopefully the A-League takes off in the same way as MLS..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I actually think the standard of the MLS is quite poor considering the resources behind it. I'd kill my own grandmother for the stadiums they have though. Nice to hear from you SeanSouth, you're missing some great Shels performances but we're already looking forward to next season.

Also a bit weird that most of the people replying here are eL fans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I actually think the standard of the MLS is quite poor considering the resources behind it. I'd kill my own grandmother for the stadiums they have though. Nice to hear from you SeanSouth, you're missing some great Shels performances but we're already looking forward to next season.

Also a bit weird that most of the people replying here are eL fans...

I am just back from a few days in Boston and to my surprise most of the Irish people I know there who has been slaming the MLS since it's inception in the mid 90's are now commenting how how entertaining it is.
    Aparently they play very open, attacking football and they have despensed with any 'Americanisations' they have made to the game (running penatly shoutouts from 35 yaers to decide drawn games etc).

It's still well below the 4 main sports (Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey) in viewership, but participation espically at under age is very high.

I am just back from a few days in Boston and to my surprise most of the Irish people I know there who has been slaming the MLS since it's inception in the mid 90's are now commenting how how entertaining it is.
    Aparently they play very open, attacking football and they have despensed with any 'Americanisations' they have made to the game (running penatly shoutouts from 35 yaers to decide drawn games etc).

It's still well below the 4 main sports (Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey) in viewership, but participation espically at under age is very high.

Not really on topic but I remember when I was in Chicago last year Man Utd were playing Bayern Munich and I was watching it on the TV. United had a free kick about 35 yards out and someone decided they'd have a go. Anyway, just as the players foot made contact with the ball the commentator screamed "VINTAGE!". I didn't laugh as much on the entire trip, it was hilarious.

Part of the reason "Boston Goals" is my favourite piece of television every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Yeah i noticed that it is infact mostly eircom league supporters acually replying to the thread , the reason been is that hey we are the real football fans that would watch and are interested in anyting football related , and we dont sit on the bar stool :D

Sarge wrote:
    Yeah i noticed that it is infact mostly eircom league supporters acually replying to the thread , the reason been is that hey we are the real football fans that would watch and are interested in anyting football related , and we dont sit on the bar stool :D

Sarge! Your head! Its going to... EXPLODE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Sarge wrote:

Very funny,
    Another reason may be that there was an article in the Indo a few weeks back mentioning the possibility of Genisis pointing to the A-League as a possible blueprint for EL re-organization. And the OP is a big EL fan from what I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Under-age and College 'Soccer' in USA is huge at the moment...

Mark my words... USA will win a world cup within the next 4 tournaments. You have been warned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Under-age and College 'Soccer' in USA is huge at the moment...

Simply because after that there is nothing not even a bleedin 5 a side league :(

I was in NY for a bit and played for an Irish pub vs Italian/Mexican/English pubs and restaurants. I was a legend!!!

God they were so **** they made me look good, played about 15 games and only once was there a yank playing. Once College or High School is done there is no www.astro.ie or anything like it for playing any kind of sports. Would explain the chubbiness if nothing else :)

/Btw playing the italians they had 9 up front i picked up the ball in my own 18 yard box and ran the length of the pitch and finished with a delicate lob from the edge of the box. Got it on camera too .....god they were awful....or ehh i was great....

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    /Btw playing the italians they had 9 up front i picked up the ball in my own 18 yard box and ran the length of the pitch and finished with a delicate lob from the edge of the box. Got it on camera too .....god they were awful....or ehh i was great....

Upload it!!! We'll decide.

Advertisement