Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMART P2P problems

• 31-10-2005 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Anybody else having P2P problems with Smart?
    I seem to get disconnected from internet every time I open up limewire. The only way to get conected again is to disconnect modem and reboot PC. Is there any way to prevent this happening? Some different settings?

Grateful for all help.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

joplin wrote:
    Anybody else having P2P problems with Smart?
    I seem to get disconnected from internet every time I open up limewire. The only way to get conected again is to disconnect modem and reboot PC. Is there any way to prevent this happening? Some different settings?

Grateful for all help.

Have a look at the Smart bb support forum:

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/ it is worth posting there as the Smart response is usually fairly prompt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joplin

dub45 wrote:
    Have a look at the Smart bb support forum:

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/ it is worth posting there as the Smart response is usually fairly prompt.

i find the response quicker here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

You`ll have to either

1. Use the smart modem/router in bridge mode, and get a new router.
    2. buy a new router with built in modem.
    3. Don`t use P2P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Are you using the Aolynx router provided by Smart. If so, forget using any P2P software with it.

It can't handle a large number of simultaneous connections as it apparently has a limited memory space.

Best advice is to buy a new ADSL2+ modem/router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

pizzahead, darkmaster2 is coorect,
    setting it as a bridge will work...quite a few people are using this method.
    I have the smart router/adsl2 modem set in bridge mode,
    i then has a wireless router(Asus) doing the PPPoE....
    Somebody else here has there windows xp machine doing the pppoe....
    what is youre setup joplin?
    One computer connect into the smart router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

I got the Linksys WAG354G in Argos, it's an ADSL modem wireless router that looks to work fine with P2P, at least so far anyway :)

manythanks for the replies.

How much would a new modem be? and how should i have it connected?
    I've got windows xp and only one computer connected to the smart modem that i got free of charge.

joplin wrote:
    manythanks for the replies.

How much would a new modem be? and how should i have it connected?
    I've got windows xp and only one computer connected to the smart modem that i got free of charge.

If you only have one PC connected up, then using the aolynk modem in bridge mode will work fine for you. you will need to setup the pc to "dial up" though.
    There is a thread a good few weeks old that gives instructions on doing this.

thanks

you woudlnt happen to know where it is, i have looked through old ones

Heres the thread on the Smart forums

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=11

And here is a piece on setting up the pppoe dialer on Xp once you have the aolynk in bridge mode

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/en/guide/winxppppoe.html

EDIT. You won`t need a lot of the info on that page as its for another broadband operator, but it will give you the idea ;)

• Advertisement

MANY THANKS!

much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Just to add that the wireless modem smart sell works fine with P2P, the problems seem to be with the standard modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Just looking for advice on a wireless modem - I pressume that this would work withh Smart broadband - Linksys WAG354G Wireless-G ADSL 2+ Modem Router Gateway, not bad I think, works out at around €100 incl delivery

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

robo wrote:
    Just looking for advice on a wireless modem - I pressume that this would work withh Smart broadband - Linksys WAG354G Wireless-G ADSL 2+ Modem Router Gateway, not bad I think, works out at around €100 incl delivery

You can get it in Argos for around that price - save you having to send away for it.

Advertisement