Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheat-Free Bread

• 31-10-2005 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Can someone please recommend a wheat free bread please? Not gluten free if possible? I've had a search around and can't find anything available in Ireland, ta...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

I have been wheat (and yeast) intolerant for about 10 years so hopefully i can help a wee bit.:)

not sure whereabouts in ireland you are but if you are ever in the galway area there is a bakery called griffins where they do rye soda bread, rye bread (with yeast) and spelt bread (its an alternative to wheat that some people can tolerate its very similar to wheat in texture and taste and i think comes from the same family). There are also a few german rye breads which are a bit of an acquired taste and are much better toasted, you can buy them in any Aldi or Lidl and in most healthfood shops(usually called pumpernickel)

If you want to have a go at baking your own there are a few good websites if you do a seach for wheatfree bread, doves farm (flour products found in healthfood shops) have a list of the types of flours that they have and one or two recipes, you can also send off for a recipe sheet. There is another one called Orgran (again in healthfood shops) lots of different flours which you can use in most recipes in the place of wheatflour. One website that i found is www.cookitsimply.com there is a whole section on wheat free baking and cooking as well thousands of others for meat, fish, veg etc.

The unfortunate thing is that so far i haven't found anything that tastes as nice as wheat bread but if anyone out there can prove me wrong i'd love to have some new alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can get Spelt bread in Dunne's Stores, I think it's from the abc bakery or one of the other speciality bakers Dunne's stocks. Tastes great to me as someone who isn't gluten intolerant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Tesco also do a wide range of wheat free foods (breads, biscuits, goodies).

Advertisement