Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Wireless Question!

• 31-10-2005 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

i have the netopia wireless router from eircom and i need to know how to unlock the wireless for laptops to log onto it, when i try it says i need some code and i have no idea where to get that.

Any ideas

Dr. Gonzo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Its your WEP code for security and what not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Use the installation CD they supplied you with the router. Moron!
    unfluffy & uncool (Although justified ;) )

O.P: Please read the fine manual that acompanied the hardware, or reset the router and use the supplied CD. Failing this, please contact Eircom. No default password or tutorial on bypassing WEP/WPA will be provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

Use the installation CD they supplied you with the router. Moron!
    Bit harsh me thinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

I bought a Belkin wireless adapter for my laptop but i was told by eircom netopia or eircom dont support third party. the guy said the Belkin and other third person hardware try to set up their own network so wont work with netopia router. you might have to buy a netopia adapter to make it wireless. i gave up trying to get the wireless working and just use the wires but they are too short to streach to there i need them to reach.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

While it they won't support third party it should work. Can you see the netwok?

• Advertisement

i can see the network. i have a signal strenght. i went into the system and clicked on the Belkin wireless and went into properties and clicked to fix the problem, but all it said was it couldnt find an IP address. its a while since i tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Have you a wired network connection on your PC. You can connect in on one of the wired ports and change the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

go into network connections...

go to the properties of the wireless card...

go to the properties of tcp/ip... put in

192.168.1.1 in IP address
    255.255.255.0 in subnet (should fill in by itself)
    192.168.1.254 in gateway

and then 159.134.237.6 in primary DNS
    and 159.134.248.17 in secondary

if this doesnt work... use the cable for a minute (only for a minute)

and put in 192.168.1.254 in the web browser address bar
    (you should see netopia homepage)
    go to expert mode on the left... go to configure... then wireless
    theres a privacy thing there that you can turn off (at your own risk)

once you get connected.. look up stuff on either WEP or MAC address filtering (i use MAC... its easier)

did the eircom people not even attempt to configure this!!??

p.s. a friend of mine is using that same Belkin thing with the netopia... it works

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm using a belkin pci card to netopia router, works fine, altough belkins software seems a little messed up.

thanks for your help men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

go into network connections...

go to the properties of the wireless card...

go to the properties of tcp/ip... put in

192.168.1.1 in IP address
    255.255.255.0 in subnet (should fill in by itself)
    192.168.1.254 in gateway

and then 159.134.237.6 in primary DNS
    and 159.134.248.17 in secondary

if this doesnt work... use the cable for a minute (only for a minute)

and put in 192.168.1.254 in the web browser address bar
    (you should see netopia homepage)
    go to expert mode on the left... go to configure... then wireless
    theres a privacy thing there that you can turn off (at your own risk)

once you get connected.. look up stuff on either WEP or MAC address filtering (i use MAC... its easier)

did the eircom people not even attempt to configure this!!??

p.s. a friend of mine is using that same Belkin thing with the netopia... it works

Joe_chicken!,
    I have the netopia wireless router from Eircom. connected PC via LAN port, working superb. I am now trying to connect laptop. The issue i have is, when i go to the netopia webpage to see the WEP key, it looks for a user name and password. Eircom told me to try eircom ,broadband1 or eircom@eircom.net, broadband1. is there anyway to reset this??. I mailed eircom last night, still no reply,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 steeo

I'm having a bugger of a time aswell trying to setup my eircom wireless. I have a Cable and Wireless LAN notebook card and it is not seeing a network connection at all. Both are installed correctly but still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

Belkin will work fine with the netopia, the only problem is with the Utility program seizes control of the wireless feature in XP, you can use the blue eircom CD to install the belkin adapter and it will use XP to handle the wireless connection and will setup the security feature for you,

Advertisement