Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sky Mobile TV set for launch

• 31-10-2005 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

credit: http://www.media247.co.uk/skydigital/

Sky and Vodafone have announced they are set to launch a mobile TV service from tommorow.

The service, Sky Mobile TV, will give users of Vodafone's third-generation (3G) devices access to 24-hour news channels as well as sport, entertainment and documentary programmes.

The deal between Sky and Vodafone marks a significant step forward in the delivery of entertainment and information to mobile phones. Users will be able to enjoy television programmes even when they are on the move and, for the first time, will have around-the-clock access to live breaking news and sports reports from Sky News and Sky Sports News.

The companies said the service would be free until the end of January and would be charged at £5 a month thereafter. It is offering two packages: a news, sport and factual programme service, including content from CNN, and an entertainment and music package including content from Sky One and MTV.

Sky Mobile TV channels include Sky News, CNN, Bloomberg, Sky Sports News, At The Races, Discovery Factual, National Geographic Channel, History Channel, Sky One, Sky Movies; MTV, Living tv, Discovery Lifestyle, Nickelodeon, Paramount Comedy, Cartoon Network, Bravo, Biography Channel.

Additional mobile channels are likely to join Sky Mobile TV over the coming months.

Richard Freudenstein, BSkyB's Chief Operating Officer, said: "Sky wants to give customers the flexibility to access our services in the way that they choose and Vodafone is an ideal partner to help make this happen. With Sky Mobile TV, you can now keep up. This is an innovative service that complements our existing pay-TV activities,
    extends the reach of Sky content and delivers an additional stream of revenue."

i wonder will it be available here in ireland:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Dunno if it'll be available here in Ireland, though Vodafone would need to work more on upgrading their network to 3G!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ferryman

I'd say it'd be a lot more than the equivalent of £5 over here though, more like EUR10 plus I reckon...
    Don't Vodafone currently offer some Sky-based package of video content for EUR10 per month?

A huge number of operators seem to be launching this "Mobile TV" thing, do people think it'll be the big revenue-generator the networks are hoping for? I know it might be a pretty useful service, but in reality would you sit and watch a 30 minute TV programme on the bus? IMO it'd be great for short news/sports clips (such as goals etc), but anything more - I just can't see the average person on the street going for it.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If its launched in the UK, it will likely be launched here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

If its launched in the UK, it will likely be launched here...

Eventually.
    Nothin' on it on vodafone.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Has no one got a 3G phone to look to see if its available?:rolleyes:

p.s are 3G phones worth buying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

Zhane wrote:
    Has no one got a 3G phone to look to see if its available?:rolleyes:

p.s are 3G phones worth buying?

Yeah they are if you're gonna use it mainly for multimedia purposes and ya get a good memory card.

I checked in "new in 3g" on the wap site but nothin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Hi Everyone

I checked several times today and the SKY TV service on the mobile phones doesnt seem to be available here.So I decided to get a bit smart and try and log into britains vodafone live wap site live.vodafone.co.uk , the service appeared to be available but when you click on it, an error message comes up and it doesnt let you watch it. Also just to remind you dont go to live.vodafone.co.uk cause it costs about 80c for every page you view !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

byte wrote:
    Dunno if it'll be available here in Ireland, though Vodafone would need to work more on upgrading their network to 3G!:(
    I think 3 are way ahead of them. AFAIK Three started building there 3G network before vodafone and because they got there licence first, they have more 3G bandwidth available so would be in a better position to provide such services. One of the reasons that Sky would choose voda GB is because they would give preference to a british company. Cant blame them for that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Hi Everyone

been in touch with vodafone and they have told me that "they are currently testing the service"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

right don't know a lot on 3g so bear ith me. Say your on a vodafone contract for lets say 25euro a month with unlimited 3g downloads.you download an mp3. wil that mp3 store on your card so you can copy it to your computer or wil it be gone the next month?

• Advertisement

And will sky tV be available on all 3g handsets or just the new ones?

bump

Advertisement