Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calls from number 008006754131

Options
  • 31-10-2005 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

I've been getting calls from this number today. When I answer there is silence sometimes I can hear someone speak briefly before hanging up.

Anybody know this number?

JC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

+800 is an International Freephone Service... (according to http://kropla.com/dialcode.htm).

Have you tried calling the number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

TMB,
    Knowing it was a european free phone number I rang them back but got a weird tone from the number.

Got a call later from them, turned out to be a company called Newtel.

Told them not to be ringing me again(trying to get me to move my phone calls to them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

JackieChan wrote:
    TMB,
    Knowing it was a european free phone number I rang them back but got a weird tone from the number.

Got a call later from them, turned out to be a company called Newtel.

Told them not to be ringing me again(trying to get me to move my phone calls to them)

I would advise you to avoid them like the plague. I used to work for them a few years ago as one of the lads that call people up and try to get them to switch over their phone to them. I left when I found out that Newtel were knowingly ripping people off. It was a huge scam, they used to operate in an office on Anglesy street in Cork City, just beside the Garda station. I was disgusted with myself for not realising it sooner. The last I heard they were raided and closed down, although I have no way of confirming this - but I do know that they no longer operate from that area anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

My mother got a phone call from them NewTel crowd the other day. She had been meaning to change from Eircom for a while so she listened to what they had to say. When she asked them to send out more information they said they would if she gave them her bank details. I was listening in on speakerphone and couldnt believe it. They really pressured her into giving them her details. It sounded dodgy to me straight away so I advised her against them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There's a delay when you pick up because they're using automated diallers. These people are scum of the earth.

Where's that office sjones?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The regulator could fine them £50,000 for each silent call they make. Thats to
    say a proper regulator like Ofcom in the UK not our shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Get on to the ComReg consumerline and make a complaint. 1890 229 668

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

They called my house three times one day. Firstly a missed call. Second time i briefly listened to what he had to say and said im not interested. The phone line at this house is in my mothers name so when an indian sounding guy called me for the third time he quite forcefuly requested that he speak to the bill payer a Mrs .......... I said even more forcefuly I am not interested do not call here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

They're the artists who want to sell you 400 nationwide minutes for €49.99 per month.

- 'Thats less than half the price at eircom's standard rates'
    - 'No its not you lying bitch, thats ten times eircom's rate'
    - 'I'll sign you up then, OK ?'
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

These type of companys piss me off, none the less I enjoy asking them can they beat 10e a month that I'm paying which includes 300min of free calls and line rental (as such)

• Advertisement

Ken Shabby wrote:
    There's a delay when you pick up because they're using automated diallers. These people are scum of the earth.

Where's that office sjones?

It was next to the chipper just up from the Garda station.

Lads they were not legit at all. Prime example, they use the phone book to call people, when you ask where they got your number they will say "on a cd eircom gave us". It's all scripted. Using the phone book to call people like this is illegal IIRC. They don't keep track of who they have called so you can get several calls from them, and the person calling you now doesn't know you have been hassled before.
    The figures they quote you are completely wrong, they won't send you any info in paper because you'll figure them out. We were told to say

"We don't send out information because the majority of people will throw it away, ending up costing us more money which would mean an increase in our prices, and you don't want that do you? I mean, how many leaflets that come in the door do you pay attention to anyway? I know I throw all of mine in the bin"

We used to stick to the Cork region because it was easier to convince Cork people. I worked there a couple of weeks and left. I was absolutely sickend by them and regret ever working there. :(

sjones wrote:
    It was next to the chipper just up from the Garda station.
    Lennox's?

I was trying to explain somewhere recently that it's just not worth the hassle of quoting the DPA and the like at people any more, because they just don't take any notice of it. I was just commenting on personal experience though; this confirms it.

I wonder what our new DPC, Billy Hawkes, is doing about this. Will he measure up to Joe Meade I wonder?

adam

Yeah just before Lennox's. There's a little door that leads up a stairway and they were at the very back up there. This door was open all of the time.

I think I'll give ComReg a call actually. Let them know about their business practices and the like.

Good job, you should do that.

I must pop in there some day, see if they're still there, ask them about all the calls I've been getting. Nothing serious, but I'm a big lad, I can be imposing, and they've been harrassing me...

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Good job, you should do that.

I must pop in there some day, see if they're still there, ask them about all the calls I've been getting. Nothing serious, but I'm a big lad, I can be imposing, and they've been harrassing me...

I was told they are gone but I can't be certain on that, as I did nothing to confirm it. It would definately be worth going in there. They start at 10am, the new shift starts at 3pm.

I'll give ComReg a call in the morning and let you guys know how I get on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

see this contact information for them, no mention of Cork .

http://www.newtel.ie/Cont.htm

That's not actually the lads who are making the calls though, they do that via contracting. It was Gen Communications that we were doing the contract for Newtel with.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

sales calls are contracted to various agencies - If you contact the direct marketing association they can put your number on the do not call list. I think i got the number through com reg I dont have that now.
    The contractors you worked for sound like gangsters propbably why they went out of business. I had some dealings with Newtel and I was under the impression they generated their own list as they used direct dialers
    The number will be redialled a couple of times if no one picks up .
    Its telesales If you dont want to receive the calls there is nothing stopping you getting yours put on a do not call list . If you have a complaint about the way your sales call was handled contact the customer service there and let them know nicely what the standard of their contracted service is .If you have a valid complaint ie being missold a product or failure to carry out service as specified then contact com reg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No it's still only £5,000 in the UK and that's not per call :(
    "less than 3%" still means 1 in 34 calls per centre can be silent
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/31/ofcom_crackdown/
    BT, for example, receives more than 112,000 complaints a month from people worried that they've received a "silent" call.
    Call centres must also not hide their number when calling people so that their calling line identification (CLI) is available on all outbound calls.

And the industry must ensure that fewer than 3 per cent of calls end in "silent calls" as opposed to the current industry standard of 5 per cent.

Ofcom hopes that these measures - including asking the Government to increase the maximum fines for offenders from £5,000 to £50,000 - will help combat the problem.
    elderly people in particular are "unduly inconvenienced by these calls and often believe that they are receiving malicious calls" and that those who find it difficult to get to the phone are "also seriously inconvenienced"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I got a call from these muppets last week so they're obviously still operating. It was an Indian girl on the phone who was really pushy. Her English was terrible and I could hardly understand her. I asked for their website so I could check out their rates and she said it was newtel.ie but she told me not to sign up on the website otherwise she wouldn't get her commission. So she said she'd ring back in a few days after I'd have seen the site. She rang back a few times and each time she was told I wasn't in. Then she rang back again tonight so I thought I'd have a bit of fun and took her call. Again she was really pushy but I lashed into her about their service being s*ite and bascially told her to f*ck off.

I just searched boards now for 'newtel' and saw this thread. Pity I didn't see this before hand or I woulda had a few more things to say to her. Hmm now theres an Eircom guy who keeps ringing for me, can't wait to tell him to F*ck off :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I got a call from Newtel and as soon as the guy (who was Indian so I reckon definetly same crowd as mentioned) introduced himself I asked to be removed from their database, he hung up. I believe they HAVE to removed you if you ask.

I should have told him to take my calls. I use VOIP over cable so that would have been fun for him to work out... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Got much the same calls as these about 3 weeks ago, four days on the trot. Phone would ring about 11am, then would get call from a guy with an Indian accent about an hour later. Only difference being that the number was withheld. Could not get a company name from the guy, until the last call, when he said he was calling from Tele2. Got onto Tele2 who assured me that they had nothing to do with the calls. Has this company (Newtel) actually told anybody what they are offering ? 4 calls from them and I'm still none the wiser !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

They rang me too last night.

It sounded like they were ringing off a payphone. It took a few seconds before I could hear their end.

plazzTT wrote:
    It sounded like they were ringing off a payphone. It took a few seconds before I could hear their end.
    That's because they're using a dialler. When you pick up you go into a queue on their end, and the next available operator picks up the call. Diallers should be banned in Ireland; I'm surprised they weren't already.

Not that it would stop these fraudsters. It's the telcos gaining from this kind of activity that should be strung up.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I also got a flurry of calls from the same company. They don't seem to take no for an answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

5 calls today. First 3 from the same guy and on the third, I think he realised he'd spoken to me before because he hung up on me as soon as he heard my voice! Didn't stop them calling back twice more after and only the 5th left the company name. Wouldn't listen to any argument about taking my number off their list though. Infuriating!

jlang wrote:
    Wouldn't listen to any argument about taking my number off their list though. Infuriating!

Report to Comreg. They HAVE to take you off if you ask.

paulm17781 wrote:
    Report to Comreg. They HAVE to take you off if you ask.
    They do. But they won't, because they don't operate within the rules.

adam

Ken Shabby wrote:
    They do. But they won't, because they don't operate within the rules.

That is why you report them.

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote:
    That is why you report them.
    008006754131 is a real number? More importantly, how do you report an "agent" that hides their number, as all of the nefarious ones do?

Advertisement