Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calls from number 008006754131

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Ken Shabby wrote:
    008006754131 is a real number? More importantly, how do you report an "agent" that hides their number, as all of the nefarious ones do?

They work for Newtel. You report Newtel for bad business practices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

paulm17781 wrote:
    They work for Newtel. You report Newtel for bad business practices.
    Are you sure? I've recieved calls with a number like that from Eircom.

How do those numbers work anyway, is there any way of backtracing them?

adam

Ken Shabby wrote:

No, but the guy who called me said he was from Newtel, that was my first clue...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ken Shabby wrote:

1800 not 00800 (international freephone)

Sponge Bob wrote:
    1800 not 00800 (international freephone)
    Ah, now I geddit. Thanks SB.

• Advertisement

Eircom are non compliant in the sense that Biddy from the Eircom Citywest<.cg snip> rings out with a number like 1800500500 even though she is not at the end of the call distribution queue behind that 1800500500 number (which actually ends up in Stephens Green) were you to ring that number.

Newtel are even guiltier than you think. The 'foreign' call centre is allegedly in Dublin while pretending to be abroad behind an International Freephone number. <.cg snip: if you've any, like any, shred of evidence for posting such claims, then go ahead.. but until then, this is libellous opinion>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

jlang wrote:
    5 calls today. First 3 from the same guy and on the third, I think he realised he'd spoken to me before because he hung up on me as soon as he heard my voice! Didn't stop them calling back twice more after and only the 5th left the company name. Wouldn't listen to any argument about taking my number off their list though. Infuriating!
    Another bloody call today from Newtel. Think it was the same guy again. Let him waffle on for a bit but once he stopped for breath, I asked him why they keep ringing me when I said no already. He said the number was marked as not called yet - obviously not true but he did say they wouldn't ring again. We shall see. Even if their offer was the best available, this is not the way to get me to even consider it.

jlang wrote:
    Another bloody call today from Newtel.

Report to Comreg....

My line is VOIP on cable. I have had a missed call from an 'out of area' number everyday this week. I assume it is still them. I wish they'd stop, they can't sign me up, I don't have a phone line!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sponge Bob wrote:
    The 'foreign' call centre is allegedly in Dublin while pretending to be abroad behind an International Freephone number

Is it definately in Dublin?

The only calls I've got are from English sounding people.. I've only had 3 calls, that I've answered, from them though.

The number in the OP is not a valid International Freephone (which have 8 digits, not 7). I suspect it's a badly configured UK freephone number. It is routable, but ends up with an engaged tone (which can mean anything, granted, but it is a valid routable number).

<adminHat>Less of the libellous opinion SB, without some proof. Banning you is not my chosen career path</adminHat>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

These days I treat these callers the same way as any twat who comes to the door trying to sell me anything - 'no thanks', close door / hang up.

• Advertisement

Gurgle wrote:
    These days I treat these callers the same way as any twat who comes to the door trying to sell me anything - 'no thanks', close door / hang up.

Ask them to stop calling you first. Otherwise they can call back. :D

CG is probably dead right. Newtel are deliberately mispresenting an International Freefone number that is not there or theirs and munging the calls somewhere when it hits their Network. That number should not be routable by Eircom at all which would put a stop to their gallop .

Here is the Global Database search and International Freefone conditions page (they are called UIFN 's ) , the number does not exist . How very naughty.

http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/universalnumbers/uifn/index.html

As a licenced carrier with Comreg they should be reported to Comreg and the UIFN number Registrar

UIFN Registrar
    International Telecommunication Union
    Telecommunication Standardization Bureau
    Place des Nations CH - 1211 GENEVA 20, Switzerland

Tel: +41 22 730 6220
    Fax: +41 22 730 6200
    Email: universalnumbers@itu.int

I sent a mail to Newtel and cc'd Comreg. I demanded that Newtel remove me from their database. I'll let you know if I hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The only thing about the silent calls is that if you answer these you will definitely get more follow up calls.

All that those calls are is an automated dialling system checking to see if the number is valid, if you answer your number goes into the database and you are going to get a lot more marketing calls.

You can of course opt out of the NDD but it is not going to stop the foreign calls. Nobody can do anything about them as they are coming in from abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Go ex-directory.

How does going ex-directory stop calls from an automated dialler I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I thought that they used phone books to harvest numbers. I have never had a call from these people ever. However there is loads to said for being ex-directory.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

They were calling, called me 3 times in one day. They said my eircom bill was €60 and they could reduce it to just €35.99. And of all the three calls it was an Indian person calling

Then they rang again the next day but I told them to feck off as they were really annoying me and I never heard from them again...

The same day I mailed them I got a call from them. Someone in Donegal this time. I asked her to removed me from their database and never call me again. She apologized, didn't say if I was removed though.

I don't want to go ex-directory, a few tedious calls shouldn't make me change my mind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They were calling, called me 3 times in one day. They said my eircom bill was €60 and they could reduce it to just €35.99. And of all the three calls it was an Indian person calling
    I've gotten calls from people and the quality of the line was awful, not an inducement to buy. If you get a real person on the line then stall to waste their time ( while you do something else of course, so you genuinely have to ask them to repeat themselves because you really aren't listening - oh and get their name so you can complain if they hang up thus hopefully wasting more time for their supervisor etc. , maybe non sepecific stuff so as not to make it person) , hanging up just means they annoy someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If these kinda annoying cold calls continue the phone book will be about 3 pages long in a few years time!

Practically everyone I know is going ex-directory.

I've started just asking them to hold the line. Put them on hold (our DECT phone plays AWEFUL music) and then going away to make a cup of tea, watch tv.. go out.. whatever...

They eventually get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭jmcc

t|nt|n wrote:
    Nobody can do anything about them as they are coming in from abroad
    Apart from eradicating whatever ****ing third world country they are calling from - which is a bit inconvenient because the scum in Ireland who hired them would still be walking around.

Regards...jmcc

t|nt|n wrote:
    Nobody can do anything about them as they are coming in from abroad

Not true. With me it was Newtel calling. You just complain about Newtel not the guy ringing. Once they are a company that trade in Ireland you can do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Let them finish their sales pitch an say you're interested. Then when they start talking say 'Can you hold' and put them on hold.

I did this and came back every 10 minutes and said 'can you hold again' and they were there for 30 minutes while i was watching telly :)

I found it so much fun i'm going to do it with every sales call i get :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

This Newtel crowd are a Godsend for Eircom. They are the best advertisers, really bringing the message across to the masses that it is best to stay with reliable, good old Eircom, and not to venture into the dangerous land of other telecom providers.
    They should have been stopped by our regulator by now.
    ComReg is still "investigating" them.
    It would be helpful if anybody rang up askcomreg (Telephone: 01 8049668 or LoCall 1890 22 9668) or ComReg (Tel: 01 804 9600 or LoCall: 1890 22 9600) and made a complaint about the repeated cold calling from this outfit, after having asked for not to be called again. There is as well the issue of the company giving tariff information on the phone which is not backed up by their website.
    The ComReg operator will make a note of your complaint.
    As usual it helps if they get a crowd of complainants – this should not be necessary, but that is the way it is.
    P.

My reply from Comreg
    Dear Paul,

There is new legislation in relation to unsolicited calls so please click on the following consumer guide from our www.askcomreg.ie website for information on unsolicited calls and the NDD: http://www.askcomreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/CG09RR.pdf. This should answer any queries you have. Information on the relevant legislation, SI 535 of 2003, is available on the Data Protection Commissioner’s website at www.dataprivacy.ie.

If you request an Operator or company to remove your contact details from their marketing list, they are not supposed to contact you again. If they do and you wish to complain, you will need to contact the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner.

Best Regards,

Commission for Communications Regulation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭John mac

You can ring up eircom and get them to block any incomming calls from these pests.
    Can't remember the number but i was getting 4 or 5 calls a day from them . I think i rang the malicious calls section and they put me onto another section.

ComReg tried that with me too. (And there is nothing wrong per se to register a complaint with the Data Commissioner.) But NewTel have a license from ComReg and ComReg have an obligation to be the watchdog here. It can't be simply delegated to some watchful consumers.
    Ask ComReg to note your complaint, they are obliged to do so and the operator will do so, and tell them you expect them to look after that issue. They are in charge and they get paid to do this, and they should not be allowed to pass the buck.

P.

John mac wrote:
    You can ring up eircom and get them to block any incomming calls from these pests.
    Can't remember the number but i was getting 4 or 5 calls a day from them . I think i rang the malicious calls section and they put me onto another section.
    I won't do that because I am interested to find out how long it will take ComReg to efficiently act against this godsend for the incumbent.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I've been seeing missed calls all week now from a blocked number. Today I was finally here to take the call - Indian guy "Hello I'm from Newtel communications and I know you have an Eircom line"
    My answer - "And how do you know that"
    Reply - "Ahh everyone in Ireland has Eircom line"
    me - "No they dont"
    Him - "how much is your eircom bill"
    me - "hmm sometimes 2 euro, sometimes 2000 euro"
    him - "how is that possible sir"
    me - "its not"
    him - "so how much is it"
    me - "I don't know "

goes on for awhile, I had time on my hands, he was getting mega pissed off, then I said "bye now". Just waiting for another call.

Advertisement