Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calls from number 008006754131

Options
13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Netwel pestered me and it was when I complaiend to the Data Protection Office that i was told that my "do-not call" preference which was lodged in August 2005 failed to be registered. They confirm that from around the middle of this month I should be ready to rock'n;roll !

However Newtel are scum - they drove my mother in law to distraction so much that she even rang the Guards. When I heard about it I rang up eircom and got her on the do-not-call but she's elderly and these calls worry her especially when they have always given her incorrect numbers.

One method to deal with these guys is to ring them on the freephone numbers using your mobile - lets him them in the pocket...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is there a website to put yourself on the do not call list?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Bond-007 wrote:
    Is there a website to put yourself on the do not call list?
    Ring your phone company and tell them you want to opt out of the NDD (National Directory Database). If your with BT you can do it in your account online. It takes 28 days or something like that to kick in.

If you are already exdirectory, do you still have to do this?

Bond-007 wrote:
    If you are already exdirectory, do you still have to do this?
    From the Eircom website:
    Only customers who have their phone numbers listed in the phone book or with directory enquiries can opt out of unsolicited calling by way of the National Directory Database (NDD). Ex-directory customers cannot opt-out of unsolicited calling by way of the National Directory Database (NDD).
    It doesn't say if you're ex-directory you're already opted out.

• Advertisement

Well I have never had such calls so I would assume that I am opted out, touch wood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

that 00800 number does not exist and is a fraud IMO .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Kaizersoze, I got these calls for 5 or 6 days on the trot. Called Eircom and they removed my number from the database. As far as I can remember, this was late nov/early december. This week got 3 more calls. As soon as I hear the accent I say "Are u calling from Newtel ?" Guy says yes. I say "Please remove my number from your list and do not call again". Guy says yes. Next day they call back. Its becoming really irritating.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I mailed Newtel and cc'd Comreg, I got a call from Newtel (an Irish person this time) after this. I asked to be removed and haven't been called (including missed calls) since.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Sponge Bob wrote:
    that 00800 number does not exist and is a fraud IMO .

Any time eircom have rung me there's a leading zero in the caller ID (so the number comes up as 01800207407 or something). Could it be the same thing? 0800 could be a UK Freephone maybe? Just a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I was getting about 10-15 calls a week from these asses and rang COMREG and they advised to call my operator and asked to be removed from the NDD.
    Did this and no calls for about a month and then all of a sudden they started up again.
    Rang my operator again and they said that my details were on the NDD and removed it again. That was 2 weeks ago and no calls from them(nearly always an Indian person).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

If enough people (and sadly it seems only then) make complaints, ComReg will slowly start to move:
    ComReg has powers to investigate the activities of telephony service providers that make repeated, unwanted, direct marketing calls and has launched a formal investigation into a company in respect of a number of specific complaints received to date. ComReg is coordinating with the Data Protection Commissioner’s Office in carrying out this investigation.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

hope thats Newtel they are talking about.

Whats eircom winback up to these days :p ?? .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Whats eircom winback up to these days :p ?? .
    Does this dept still exist? They have been very quiet as of late.

Bond-007 wrote:
    Does this dept still exist? They have been very quiet as of late.

They did up until a year ago.

There have been two missed calls in two days on my parents phone. Both from 800 207 407. Is that Eircon or someone else?

1800 not 800 its eircom all right.

No phone calls but in the last 3 weeks I've had 4 Eircom reps call to the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Count yourself lucky you dont have to deal with American telemarkters :)
    When i was living in Ireland, i was pestered by Newtel on a few occasions. Very annoying but just filled them with crap.

Them: Would you like to save money on your phone bill?
    Me: No
    Them: So you want to waste money then?
    Me: Yeah why not, i have heaps of money *laughs*
    Them: Ok sir, thank you for your time *slams phone*

Sponge Bob wrote:
    1800 not 800 its eircom all right.

No it's 800. What ever way they send the number the '1' doesn't display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

That's common with US-based Caller ID units who strip the assumed "national" 1 from the start. Even the earlier eircom units did this.

.cg

enn.ie wrote:
    The same paper says that telecoms regulator ComReg has launched a formal investigation into NewTel Communications for "cold-calling" consumers. The regulator revealed on Thursday that it was investigating a telecoms company following complaints, but it did not name the firm. ComReg has issued advice to consumers on how to deal with unsolicited calls, as noted by ElectricNews.Net on Thursday.

Not sure if that means it was really NewTel or not. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

paulm17781 wrote:
    Not sure if that means it was really NewTel or not. :confused:
    No need to be confused. It is NewTel. (Enn make the correct assumption, possibly from reading boards!)
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Finally got a reply(e-mail) from Newtel to all the complaints I have made. They apologised, and assured me my number has been removed from their call list. That said, it was a pretty short and to the point apology, and made no reference to my specific complaints regarding multiple calls, use of auto-dailing and down-right rudeness. I have a contact name and e-mail address if anyone needs it.

Advertisement