Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Mile Broadband - Any Good?

• 31-10-2005 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

I heard from a friend that they should be avoided, anybody else agree with him? They really are the only option for broadband out here in the sticks (other than Digiweb *shudders*)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

what's your prob with Digiweb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

There have been two threads similar to what you have started here ie. lastmile wireless feedback. One was largely negative, the last one positive. Search boards via google (assuming boards own search facility is unavailable at the time).
    Most people living in areas covered by last mile have no other alternative anyways. If you are lucky enough to have the choice of last mile or digiweb, then I wouldnt dismiss digiweb so quickly as from what i've read here, they've gotten reasonably good feedback - although i dont think theres a telecoms company in existance who hasnt had service problems of one kind or another, at one time or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

what's your prob with Digiweb?

*editted to elaborate*

Well, they only offer Satellite out where I live, and they got a strict policy on caps ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

*editted to elaborate*

Well, they only offer Satellite out where I live, and they got a strict policy on caps ;)

I wouldn't be negative on Digiweb for that - it's an issue with satellite and you'd get that with any isp offerig that option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I wouldn't be negative on Digiweb for that - it's an issue with satellite and you'd get that with any isp offerig that option.
    Theres probably no issue as such with Digiweb but there is with any satellite 'broadband' service..

Which means that you only have one option - Last Mile. Sign up and post your feedback here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

I have last mile which was installed this week (on Tue ) and I can tell you all that that the service is absolutely brilliant and the speed has to be seen if your reference point is dial up.

Its always on and therefore i have my phone line available at all times.As well as that I have my lappy and Mac Mini networked wirelessly which gives me broadband all thru house from any location.
    I dont know myself as I use mac mini for web browsing and therefore avoid viruses and spyware/adware/malware.No more windows crashes either.The reason i mention equipment here is to show that their service works effortlessy with both mac and windows.Ridiculously easy to set up using PPPoE on both machines.

Sure, ive read all the previous posts in the run-up to install and like all service providers last mile will have their critics....but not me.I can tell you without doubt that their wait times at present are being influenced by a number of things ,one being they are concentrating on schools at present due to mid term break.Also bear in mind that this service relies solely on "line of sight " to a base station and they are rolling these out at present subject to pp.If you cannot "see" the base station from your house then it wont work anyway!! and your only option then is satellite.

The demand for their service is huge at present and once base stations are fully rolled out it will be even bigger.

So before we get too critical lets not forget that a service which is in such demand,and influenced by site surveys will take time to reach the masses and therefore we should support these guys with being patient.

Like all services,everybodys experience will differ depending on their expectations in the first place.

Eirlink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

eirlink wrote:
    I have last mile which was installed this week (on Tue ) and I can tell you all that that the service is absolutely brilliant and the speed has to be seen if your reference point is dial up.

Its always on and therefore i have my phone line available at all times.As well as that I have my lappy and Mac Mini networked wirelessly which gives me broadband all thru house from any location.
    I dont know myself as I use mac mini for web browsing and therefore avoid viruses and spyware/adware/malware.No more windows crashes either.The reason i mention equipment here is to show that their service works effortlessy with both mac and windows.Ridiculously easy to set up using PPPoE on both machines.

Sure, ive read all the previous posts in the run-up to install and like all service providers last mile will have their critics....but not me.I can tell you without doubt that their wait times at present are being influenced by a number of things ,one being they are concentrating on schools at present due to mid term break.Also bear in mind that this service relies solely on "line of sight " to a base station and they are rolling these out at present subject to pp.If you cannot "see" the base station from your house then it wont work anyway!! and your only option then is satellite.

The demand for their service is huge at present and once base stations are fully rolled out it will be even bigger.

So before we get too critical lets not forget that a service which is in such demand,and influenced by site surveys will take time to reach the masses and therefore we should support these guys with being patient.

Like all services,everybodys experience will differ depending on their expectations in the first place.

Eirlink

Cheers for that Eirlink. I can see the Mast on top of the hill where the basestation will be - its a TV/MobileComm's mast (though its about 5km-7km away as the crow flies)

I phoned last mile today and they told me the base station should be up and running this week, they will leave it on for a while to test it and then roll it out to the general population, I am teh first on the list :D

Advertisement