Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good source for LCD/Plasma Tvs

Options
  • 31-10-2005 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Im trying to track downa decent 32" lcd or plasma tv but there are just too many sources out there.

Can anybody recommend any shops/website that they have bought from?

There is quit a few on ebay but not many will ship to ireland.

Thanks for any advice.

Wavey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've been having fun with online retailers for a few weeks now, so hopefully you can learn from my mistakes:

I've ordered from dabs.com before for smaller stuff and they were fine, but I've just had a Samsung LE32R41B on order for over a week, showing 'Awaiting stock 1-2 days'. It's just changed to 'Awaiting stock 3-4 weeks' with no explanation, so I've cancelled it. Not too happy about that obviously.

Savastore.co.uk will deliver to Ireland, but only to your credit card billing address. A bit awkward if you're at work all day, since they won't give you a definite delivery day. I have my work address registered with my credit card company as an alternate delivery address, but they wouldn't even accept that.
    I've just phoned my bank and changed my billing address to my work address, and mailed Savastore to try the order again, so hopefully it will go through.

DigiUK.com will also deliver to Ireland, but again only to your billing address. No idea what they're like, although they did respond to an e-mail query I had the same day, which is pretty good.

ShopIreland: great prices, but despite the name, is merely a front for Amazon.co.uk, who won't deliver TVs 28" or above to Ireland. They don't tell you this until you're completing your order, so don't waste your time there.

mp3players.co.uk do LCD TVs too, and claim that delivery to anywhere in Europe is only £5 extra. A day after I'd ordered I mailed them to try to get a definite delivery date. Next day I got a mail back saying they couldn't deliver my TV to Ireland, as the courier wanted £150 extra, but I was welcome to try to find a cheaper courier. Odd, since both Savastore and Dabs were only charging about £25 extra to Ireland. Obviously, I cancelled the order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

MOH wrote:
    ShopIreland: great prices, but despite the name, is merely a front for Amazon.co.uk, who won't deliver TVs 28" or above to Ireland. They don't tell you this until you're completing your order, so don't waste your time there.

had been looking at that very model on that site , shame they won't deliver it as it was a good price.

Clover wrote:
    had been looking at that very model on that site , shame they won't deliver it as it was a good price.

It actually worked out better for me (so far).
    ShopIreland have it for £874.27 (1287 euro), plus delivery of about 12 Euro.
    I ordered mine from Savastore late Monday night, and it shipped this morning, expecting it by the weekend - for £859 including delivery.

As I said above they only deliver to your card billing address, but all that required for me was a call to my bank to change my billing address to my work address, then I'll call them back after I get my TV and change it back to my home address.

I'll let you know if it turns up OK, but so far their customer service has been very good with a few prompt e-mails regarding the credit card issue.

thanks MOH , i'd love to know how it works out for you as i was going to pick one up in powercity and harvey normans but they would not go lower than €1550 :eek: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Lads, try: www.katronics.de or similar german sites.

you are dealing in Euro's and their delivery charges are only upto €80

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Maxwell,
    Have you bought from www.katronics.de ?

I have just ordered a Philips 32PF9830 from them. Still havent got the order confirmation though.

thanks for all the replies lads

Wavey

Hi Wavey,

Yes, I bought a 42" plasma from them a few weeks back.

The whole deal/delivery went extremely smoothly and I saved a fortune on the shop prices here.
    Best of luck!

How did you pay?

Do i have to go to my bank and transfer the money with a reference number?

I paid by Bank Transfer as they requested this due to the high value.

Ask them for their bank account details and you then produce these at your bank and ask them to make the transaction.

Make sure you go to your bank(the exact branch) as it will save you a day in the transaction time.

Best of luck!!

Is there a cost associated with tranferring the money?

The last time i paid for something this way my bank (aib)had two options.
    I could send the money with no reference for a fee of about €2.
    But if i wanted to put a reference on the transfer it would cost me something like €50!
    So though if i sent it without the ref. the money would appear in the shops account bu they would not know what it was for!!

I gave up and used paypal that time!!

So basically did you have to pay a tranfer fee?

thanks for all the help,

What was delivery time like?

• Advertisement

Hi there,

I just did the standard transfer and it cost something like €2 and everything went perfectly.

I actually have the form in front of me - the AIB one is called: "Paylink Euro - Crossborder Payment Application Form" - you sign it and the bank does the rest.

You can call Katronics as they speak English and you can get their bank details - if you keep in regular touch with them, they will continously check their account for your amount to arrive and they then ship straight away.

Due to couriers and the like, mine was delivered on to 4th working day from clearance of money in their account.

I would recommend you call them and speak to ensure you get all the details you need and get them to clarify delivery etc. I had no problems whatsoever and thought they were a pleasure to deal with.

I have their bank details if you require them , I could send them to you by pm, but if you call/e-mail them they will give them to you.

Best of luck!
    (nice looking tv by the way!)

Clover wrote:
    thanks MOH , i'd love to know how it works out for you as i was going to pick one up in powercity and harvey normans but they would not go lower than €1550 :eek: .

Well, it apparently shipped last Wednesday morning, when I received a despatch note and an invoice - no sign of it yet, but the courier's website says 3-4 days so it's not late yet. However, the despatch note was supposed to include a consignment number for tracking the delivery with the courier but didn't, and there's been no response from Savastore's customer services about that, although I e-mailed them last Thursday.

On the other hand, they haven't yet charged my credit card, and the TV won't actually be late until tomorrow, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Knew that would happen. TV arrived half an hour after I posted.
    So:
    Ordered LE32R41B from Savastore Tuesday afternoon.
    Shipped from Savastore Wednesday morning with Amtrak International.
    Arrived Monday lunchtime.

Total cost £859.24 (= Eur 1270), including delivery of just £20.

Only negative from Savastore was their customer service seems a bit slow once you've ordered, but very happy with the price and delivery time. Now fingers crossed I don't break it on the way home from work and it works OK.

good to see it arrived for you in good time and a good price.

that site had 26 LE-32R41BD LCD tv's last week and they are all gone :eek:

i went into dixons myself yesterday and was looking at the LE-32R51BD , when the guy told me they had 4 out the back in the stores i picked one up right away but there was a price to be paid a high price compared to your's €1600 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

MOH mine was sent on the 7th of dec on a weds morning and nothing today hopefully 2moro

:(:D

thegame wrote:
    MOH mine was sent on the 7th of dec on a weds morning and nothing today hopefully 2moro

:(:D

Hope it turns up today - arrived just after lunchtime for me. Can you track it on the courier's website?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

:D got it today at 2pm:D huge box and in perfect condition,just leaving it warm up in the room as the tv was extreme cold ,let you know what i think of it later:D

Advertisement