Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just finished Half-Life 2. What should I play next?

Options
  • 31-10-2005 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Recommendations welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HomesickAlien

far cry is pretty good. graphically, its up there with half life 2, plus i managed to pick it up for <20 euro at game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

F.E.A.R. or download lost coast, the new level of HL2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

fear, call of duty 1 & 2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

I'm on a mission to get as many people to buy and play this amazing game which was somehow overlooked by the majority of the gaming masses. It's dead cheap now and I rank it as one of my all time fave FPSs

Gwan.... Buy it..... you know you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's because it's got that awful vin diesel in it :D

f.e.a.r is meant to be good, or quake 4 (haven't tried it myself but if you like doom3 you'll like this (it's doom3 with lights) )

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    it's because it's got that awful vin diesel in it :D

f.e.a.r is meant to be good, or quake 4 (haven't tried it myself but if you like doom3 you'll like this (it's doom3 with lights) )

Well I reckon it's cos people automatically and usually correctly think games based on a movie are gonna be crap.

This is different.

Chronicles of Riddick was so good Eurogamer went to the trouble of reviewing it twice.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57408

If you haven't played it give it a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Cremo wrote:
    quake 4 (haven't tried it myself but if you like doom3 you'll like this (it's doom3 with lights) )

And it's actually fun, to boot. I seem to judge FPS on their shotguns, and I like Quake 4's shotgun.

I'll back up the Far Cry recommendations, 'tis rather nifty. And if you haven't gotten your hands on DoW: Winter Assault yet, give it a go. Good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

F.E.A.R, you wont regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Serious Sam 2 is alright if you're in the mood for doing little more than blowing **** up...
    F.E.A.R. is definitely worth getting if the demo is anything to go by
    and another vote for Riddick here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

f.e.a.r is the best game out this year, imo. it also scared me more then any film i've ever seen before. excellent and definatly worth playing.

riddick is also good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

FEAR
    Riddick
    COD2

If you haven't played these yet, try 'em:
    Alien Vs Predator 2
    No One Lives Forever 2

They're older, obviously not as pretty, but very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Deus Ex -- very cheap now. Yes, it's elderly, but for atmosphere, it is one of the very best!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

How about Barbie And The Magic Of Pegasus?

Only 14.99 on Play.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i'd get some F.E.A.R., some of the best a.i. i've every seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'd recommend playing nothing until you've forgotten how good HL2 is.

All done? Okay,

FarCry, very beautiful, it's great fun up to a point but gets a bit crappy towards the end
    Quake 4, Very solid FPS, Good fun, slightly disturbing,
    System Shock 2 (It's abandonware now, and so god damned good.)Home of the Underdogs
    Thief: Deadly Shadows, Top drawer sneak-em-up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

star wars battlefront :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

just finished half life 2 five minutes ago. I would have said it was the best ever only for valves completely bizarre ability to tell a great story right to the last and throw a shiite ending on it. My god i was so disappointed - sure that point is done to death by now tho - i'm a year too late for a rant i reckon.

But to my immediate left rests Fear and have far cry and doom 3 installed too - and Civ IV coming next week which i'm really happy about, i love FPS but nice to get away once in a while..big question is will i ever come back from civ??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Well I reckon it's cos people automatically and usually correctly think games based on a movie are gonna be crap.

This is different.

Chronicles of Riddick was so good Eurogamer went to the trouble of reviewing it twice.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57408

If you haven't played it give it a chance.

Oh **** yes! Listen to this man. I got the game today (9.99 from play) and its amazing! SO much atmosphere, so much interactivity. Things like accidently finding out I could shoot out the lights and therefore take on several armed guards with nothing more than a rusty screwdriver was something special.

This is easily the best fps I have played in a long time. Perhaps even better than HL2 with regard to play mechanics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

i tried to install the demo of riddick but it wouldnt let me cause i dont have sp2 on my pc :(

Oh **** yes! Listen to this man. I got the game today (9.99 from play) and its amazing! SO much atmosphere, so much interactivity. Things like accidently finding out I could shoot out the lights and therefore take on several armed guards with nothing more than a rusty screwdriver was something special.

This is easily the best fps I have played in a long time. Perhaps even better than HL2 with regard to play mechanics.

Ah my work here is done.

Wait till you get your eye shine and it gets cooler.

One thing I really liked is when you complete the game you get to replay it but with commentary boxes describing why and how things work. Fascinating way to see how games are made and decisions that are made during the creation process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

F.E.A.R. , Starship Troopers (Excellent Game)

R0ot wrote:
    Starship Troopers (Excellent Game)

Ah you just reminded me of the demo I've been meaning to download. Is it really any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Things like accidently finding out I could shoot out the lights and therefore take on several armed guards with nothing more than a rusty screwdriver was something special.
    Why not use the bullets on them rather than the lightbulbs? Also keeps your screwdriver from further blood-induced rusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Thanks for all the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

LoBo wrote:
    Why not use the bullets on them rather than the lightbulbs? Also keeps your screwdriver from further blood-induced rusting.

WELL my good man. You see I only had two in the clip, and versus a squad of battle tested guards with combat shotguns, I wasn't going to survive a direct encounter.

As for the screwdriver, simply hit "o" and he cleans it to prevent the rusting.

Advertisement