Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel servicing

Options
  • 31-10-2005 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Just bought an Avensis diesel 20 td 100k mls - did an oil change etc. Used a decent oil - GTD magnatec - but the oil is still v black. Will this clear out through more frequent servicing or is there another way of cleaning it out

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Did you change the filter?

Some of the old oil would be left at the bottom of the sump, turning your oil a bit black, I don't know if the new oil should be completely black, or just darker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Really you should change the oil,air,fuel filters just to be safe, unless youve got the service history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Magneto

Yep - oil & air filters - coolant - full show done. Let the sump drain for an hour before I put anything back in. I suppose its possible that all the older oil won't drain out - just expected it to look a lot better than it does - its not affecting the car -- its running fine etc - anyway thank y'all for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

You do know a diesel needs a fuel filter aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Diesels will dirty an oil real fast, it is not an indicator of a problem, but rather that the oil is working by holding the contaminants in suspension.
    Service regularly every 5000 miles and change filter every time.
    Genuine Toyota Oil is surprisingly cheap and the filters are too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Yea diesel engines blacken oil real quick.
    Perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

You can buy an pump that pumps out the oil through the dip stick area.
    It is supposed to go right into the sump and get a lot more oil out of the engine then the bolt on the sump. Also it is a lot cleaner and easier then getting under the car and doing the job.

You can get them in motor factors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Magneto wrote:
    Just bought an Avensis diesel 20 td 100k mls - did an oil change etc. Used a decent oil - GTD magnatec - but the oil is still v black. Will this clear out through more frequent servicing or is there another way of cleaning it out

Thanks in advance for your help

Duckhams 10W40 semi-synthetic is the oil you want to be using, this seems to be the best oil i've used with this engine, you don't burn as much oil when you drop a gear, etc. Like was said, changing it every 5k miles is the best, you shouldn't have to top up at all.

Your timing belt is every 60k miles, I changed my fuel filter after doing 43k miles, and it was practically clean, only really a worry if you move around garages a lot i suppose. I haven't changed the current fuel filter in nearly 50k miles, I'll check it soon, but I really felt the last filter was spotless!

Your air filter is the most important one, do it every 15k miles or so, i tried mine out to 25k miles (18k is toyota recommended) and my fuel efficiency dropped by 25%!! Not funny that!

As regards the oil being black, perfectly normal!

Advertisement