Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Week Four Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Kewell played for about 12 minutes, made a goal and was unlucky that the ball fell to his weaker foot in another chance. No need to judge him on twelve minutes of football but to say he "didn't do much" or was his "normal self" is slightly harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Kewell couldn't score in a brothel. He hardly made Cissé's goal in fairness, he bumbled his way into the box and lost the ball - Cissé took advantage - it wasn't some great plan by Kewell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Kewell played for about 12 minutes, made a goal and was unlucky that the ball fell to his weaker foot in another chance. No need to judge him on twelve minutes of football but to say he "didn't do much" or was his "normal self" is slightly harsh.

The fact that people recognise the term "his normal self" as a bad indication of his play in the first place is worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Stekelly wrote:
    The fact that people recognise the term "his normal self" as a bad indication of his play in the first place is worrying.

True. But he can only get better (or sold...).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    True. But he can only get better (or sold...).

and on that note I read over the weekend that O'Leary is about to make a bid for him for £5m:eek: I hope we take it and run!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yom 1 wrote:
    and on that note I read over the weekend that O'Leary is about to make a bid for him for £5m:eek: I hope we take it and run!:D

TeeHee Villa is our new dumping ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Kewell couldn't score in a brothel. He hardly made Cissé's goal in fairness, he bumbled his way into the box and lost the ball - Cissé took advantage - it wasn't some great plan by Kewell.
    Certainly I don't think he had Cisse in mind when he pushed the ball forward (if he did then it was a remarkably inteligent ball) but in the absence of Cisse I thought it was a good run by Kewell and if he didn't get himself through the gap to collect the ball I'd be pretty sure it'd have gone to a free or penno for obstruction.

I'm glad Cisse got the goal though, he's a confidence player so the more goals the better. Kewell is only just back so hopefully his contribution will give himself the motivation to improve his game further.

Nice to see some decent balls coming in from the right - shame they have to come from Stevie...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Stekelly wrote:
    TeeHee Villa is our new dumping ground.

Lets hope it is on saturday and we romp home to victory and not do our usual of goin into hiding after a european game. Actually i'd take the scrapiest 1-0 at the moment just to get rid of this "can't play after europe" tag that we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Arsenal team to play Sparta Prague :

M Almunia, B Lauren, K Toure, S Campbell, G Clichy, J Reyes, G Silva, M Flamini, R Pires, T Henry, D Bergkamp

Subs: M Poom, R Van Persie, F Fabregas, A Song Billong, P Cygan, P Senderos, E Eboue

What does Van Persie have to do to get a start here? I actually feel like going up to Arsene Wenger and slapping him and ask him what's he thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

On paper the Juve team looks by far the best in the world. Nedved, Camoranesi, Mutu and Zalayeta can only make the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

eirebhoy wrote:
    On paper the Juve team looks by far the best in the world. Nedved, Camoranesi, Mutu and Zalayeta can only make the bench.

Yeah on paper, did you see them on Saturday? Milan easily beat them! Although Milan don't have a bad team or bench either :)

BTW shame about your top scorer prediction, but I looks like Messi has scored one now anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Well I tell you something I cannot fathom in words of what I think of my beloved Man United side and most of all Alex Ferguson. :mad:

For anyone watching the Barcelona match, its master class in how to play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Come on United.
    let's buck up and steamroller these minnows in the second half!

Alec Ferguson has to be given the vote confidence in my opinion its time, this madness must end. For Roy Keane I believe everything he said is right and all of us Man United fans truly know it.

• Advertisement

We look so shaky at the back it's untrue. Get rooney on the ball. Get Park on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Forget about it. This team deserve to lose as badly as they are playing. Rooney is not interested...but would you be? I mean you are playing in a **** team with failures all around you. No creativity in the team. I feel sorry for the future of the club at this rate. Something drastic is needed and if you think Ferguson leaving is going to sort that out...you are totally wrong.

Barcelona are absolutely spectacular tonight 5-0.

I know because they would probably make Quieroz manager if he does go, and in my opinion he is the root of our demise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Man United have been awful so far tonight. The defence looks so shaky at the back and Ferdinand has been rubbish all season. even the great Rooney has had an awful game so far. Roy Keane was dead right in everything that he said

• Advertisement

on a lighter note, looks like theres a good game between werder bremen and udinese going on...4-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yet we're stuck watching a poxy game between to poxy teams on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

and a sending off for udinese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

3-0 to the Arse. Game over. Substitute Robin Van Persie scores another 2. See my original comment in this thread on the last page. *slaps wenger in face*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Man Utd lose. Shocking performance and deserved to lose

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Dr J wrote:
    3-0 to the Arse. Game over. Substitute Robin Van Persie scores another 2. See my original comment in this thread on the last page. *slaps wenger in face*
    Probably wouldn't have been anything like as effective if he had started, going on past experiences. The game was wide open when Van Persie came on, there were more clear openings in the last 15 mins than there were in the previous 75.

Job done, makes a nice change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

besty wrote:
    Come on United.
    let's buck up and steamroller these minnows in the second half!

Arf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Tonight's game was painful. To say United were average would almost be giving them too much credit. I hate tearing into my team but when I see performances like saturday's and tonight, then it actually makes me angry.
    Every one of them (with the exception of Van Der Sar, who made one of the saves of the season) were so lackluster. I don't even know where to begin.
    The goal itself came out of awful defending. Both Sylvestre and Smith went to sleep. It was a good finish, but in fairness, it shouldn't have been allowed to materialize. If Keane had to be censored for his rant during the week, then I'd love to hear his thoughts now.
    If Carlos Quieroz gets the job when SAF steps down, I think I'll start supporting Wigan.:(
    Well I think that's about I can say really, because words can't describe how bad United were tonight. I don't think I'll be able to stomach sunday.

Great watching Ferguson on Sky making excuses about the pitch, this man is truly deluded.

Pretty similar situation myself. I came home not looking forward to watching them. They just annoy me. Thank God Barcelona will provide me with entertainment in the highlights.

• Advertisement

I think tbh aswell that Chelsea will beat us the weekend, we have 0% confidence and top it off our team is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Barca are the only team I watch when they're on telly for the CL. I said earlier I put Messi as captain in my FF team and he got me 24 points. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was watching the game with half an eye and thought Utd were doing quite well until I relased which team was wearing Red! :D

Seriously, even this Liverpool fan is slightly appalled at the way a once all conquering team have been reduced to a bunch of schoolgirls. Sure there are some important players missing but whats mainly absent is heart and hope.

Man Utd had 2 shots on target.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

WDK wrote:
    Great watching Ferguson on Sky making excuses about the pitch, this man is truly deluded.

But excuses and all as he made, you could hear in his voice that he's a troubled man. The excuses sounded very hollow, the usual energy in his voice was conspicuous by its absence. Dark days indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

eirebhoy wrote:
    Barca are the only team I watch when they're on telly for the CL. I said earlier I put Messi as captain in my FF team and he got me 24 points. :)

Me too, if Barca are on the only team I would watch ahead of them in any game no matter what the importance is is an Irish one.

They are completley and utterly sublime to watch, when Messi becomes the next superstar I can tell people endlessly I saw his debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Nah, Betis were probably lucky, Chelsea probably scored the goal for them. :rolleyes: God forbid the thought that Chelsea didn't actually deserve to win.

To be fair he actually admitted that they deserved to lose :)
    "But Betis deserved the victory because of their attitude in the first half and the way they defended in the second half.

"We have to look to ourselves to work out what didn't work and try to solve it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4388068.stm

nice to see someone actually admit when they have been beaten.....unlike some other manager who lost in the CL this week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

WDK wrote:
    I know because they would probably make Quieroz manager if he does go, and in my opinion he is the root of our demise.
    Don't know how you can say that. As long as Fergie remains in charge the buck stops with him. I think a lot of utd fans are using Quieroz as an excuse not to criticise Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

damn straight though. Quiroz or whatever he is called has been ruining the side in my opinion. too many changes have been happeneing and its not good. its him who is telling ferguson that fletcher, smith, silvestre, o'shea and ronaldo are good. they are all wasters. ferdinand has been useless lately and rooney was not getting a chance tonight. Van Nistellrooy as a captain had little or no presence on the pitch tonight and never really does until he poaches a goal. When you compare him to the other top strikers in the english league like bergkamp, Henry, Van persie(of late), Crespo and even Darren Bent he is useless. he doesnt run for a ball or with it. has little skill and there is a reason he hasnt scored a goal outside the box. cause he is a poacher. ye i know in the end a goal is a goal but you need a bit of life and skill to get by players and create something and not just wait for a simple finish.

Ji Sung Park is my favourite player in the squad at the moment. he creates oppurtunities and is full of life and spirit. he runs himself everywhere and really is a team player. he got a proper game a few weeks back and set up all three goals in the league. he was unlucky tonight not to get a goal and the advantage should not have ben played cause he was put off balance.

/end rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Oooon a sidenote, that was some goal by Eto'o to round off his hattrick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

evad_lhorg wrote:
    its him who is telling ferguson that fletcher, smith, silvestre, o'shea and ronaldo are good. they are all wasters.

How inept must a manager be to base his entire selection policy on the advice of his assistants? A far more damning inditement then if he was picking them himself.

ah yes i knew i forgot to put in my little joking smmiley after that comment. ahh well. they are still wasters but i was jokin about him getting told whos good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Hindeed! Nearly a carbon copy of a goal he got in the league last year strangely.

PiE wrote:

agreed. Henry too. what a man. and i culdnt stop laughing at his celebration. classic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the next round of matches, is that next week or the week after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Tuesday the 22nd and Wednesday the 23rd

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nice for Arsenal to have qualified for the knockout stages of the Champs league already. Nice goals too. Van Persie seems to be turning into a very handy player. Hope he starts scoring in the premiership now soon to lift the burdun of Henry.

As for Utd :D Dont really need to say anything really :)

Etoo's final third girl was far better than Henrys goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

cheesedude wrote:
    Etoo's final third girl was far better than Henrys goal.

And whoever heard of monogamy.

jank wrote:
    And whoever heard of monogamy.

OY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Another 2 nights of superb football, Lyon,PSV and Barca being the highlight for me.
    Shame pool or chel will get them next round and suffocate them with horrendous football. Have a few quid on Arsenal to get to the final, playing good football at the right time just to qualify. Would imagine a south american joining them at xmas to ensure he can play in CL.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement