Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my venice truly dead

Options
  • 31-10-2005 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭

I just removed the ihs off of my venice3800+ .After mounting the storm waterblock I turned on my computer. It booted to windows and informed me of better temps. Then the backing plate I was using(dfi nf4) popped into the hole. This caused my waterblock to become askew. Temps shot up into the 70s and I hurridly turned it off. Remounting the block I noticed a wierd smell of the cpu and a small brown patch. Now when I try to turn it on, it starts up but wont boot. All 4 lights stay on.

So is my venice dead?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

:confused: , crumbs m8, really sorry to hear that, sounds like its gone to cpu heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I had a similar incident with my t-bird, but it was because I got distracted and forgot to plug back in the CPU fan... I then very cleverly went downstairs for a while, I came back up to a temp of 90 degrees but amazingly it still works :D The smell was horrible though..

So it might not be the CPU.. You might have damaged your motherboard, if the temps got too high :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

commited wrote:
    So it might not be the CPU.. You might have damaged your motherboard, if the temps got too high :(

I hope not warrenties gone on that too

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Have you tried it in another board?

My watercooling leaked on a old P4 I had a while back and that survived for years after... There is hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

if ihs is removed theres no rma'ing it. Likelyhood is, that it is dead. Sorry to hear mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

krazy_8s wrote:
    I hope not warrenties gone on that too
    Where was the brown patch? Can you take a pic and post it here?

How is the warranty gone on the DFI? Their warranties are usually excellent.

If the brown patch is what I think it is, then I'd say the chip is dead! :(

I cant take a picture but when I took off the waterblock there was a semi-circle of brown on the side of the chip that had been completly bare for about 5 mabye 10 seconds. Also think that when the block moved it may have touched and joined 2 or more resisters/transisters on the side. You know those small annoying things. First time removing ihs as well. Bit off a balls up on my part.
    What really annoys me is that I did it properly and it was fine, but my own lazyness caused the accident.

Oh well anybody know what stepping are those optys selling in Komplett. Looking at the 146 + the dfi pc5000 that I bought off wizard. Could be a really good mix. I think its the CABYE that are doing the best. If anybody picked any of the last batch could you let me know what qaulity they are. My old venice could hit 3gigs but would refuse to post above 290htt and was only 32m stable at about 275. Think these optys can beat it.

btw using storm block, dfi nf4-sli-dr(if it still works), maze4 ,120.2 , and a 50z. temps should not be a problem

Made some mods to the chipset and broke the crappy little plastic pins holding it down. So warrentie gone

what guide were u following to remove the ihs?? link?

Razor blade and patience is all you need.

That's a pity krazy_8s - hard luck! :(

• Advertisement

+ 15 minutes in the freezer. Just used my memory. Seen it done on loads of forums and my ihs was warped.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

ask dfi to send you a new chipset h/s
    I broke the pins on mine removing it to put AS5 on.
    Since then i fried it by plugging a sata power lead in wrong which was on the same lead as the molex feeding the mobo.
    PSU died + replaced under warranty
    HD went up in smoke but the lovely people at maxtor replaced that
    Motherboard died but was replaced by DFI even though they knew i had botched the fan on it

Buy a new CPU and failing that DFI will replace the board

thats the plan

My god got an opty 144, the memory controller is amazing. My old venice could only do about 275 htt , this is passing memtest at 310 with a 600mhz overclock. And with a 1mb l2 cache. For only 160 quid. And I know this baby can clock higher.

God I can stop drooling. People abandon your venices and rejoice in the world of higher quality 939 opterons.

*Cry* and I sold my high FSB RAM :(
    Glad you got a chip that can do it justice though! :)

WizZard wrote:
    *Cry* and I sold my high FSB RAM :(
    Glad you got a chip that can do it justice though! :)

u got any plans to build a new super rig???

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

krazy what is the stepping of your opteron my 144 will only do 2.8 but needs good voltage to get there. There seems to be a lot comming out that will do 3 GHz a lot easier than mine will do 2.8

gline wrote:
    u got any plans to build a new super rig???
    It's looking like February before I can do anything :(:(

WizZard wrote:
    It's looking like February before I can do anything :(:(

doh, at least u got transport though, that is a big plus, thats my next "project", :D

BabyEater wrote:
    krazy what is the stepping of your opteron my 144 will only do 2.8 but needs good voltage to get there. There seems to be a lot comming out that will do 3 GHz a lot easier than mine will do 2.8

cabye needs big volts as well.

As for wizzards uber rig we can all see an fx62 with 4igs ddr2 and 2 dual 7800gtxs 512mbs with a dual x16 li board. Anyhing else would just be criminal

• Advertisement

Looking on the net it seems the 146 is the one to get. Plus that x9 multi is a bit ****. And as always you win some you lose some. But common 320htt on the cheapest possible proccessor. Thats what I paid for and I am happy with what I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

For the price its well worth it i wasnt worried about the 9 multiplier as me lanparty handles high htt.
    My opteron is a CABYE 0536 by the way

Advertisement