Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa takeover by Irish brothers

• 31-10-2005 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised there hasn't been a thread on this already, 2 Irish brothers are on the verge of leading a consortium that will takeover Villa in a £70 million deal. The Comer brothers from Galway have built up a huge wealth of over £1bn through their company Comer Homes Group in the UK and they now look likely to buy out Ellis and inject huge funds into the club.

Irish owners along with an Irish Manager at Villa is superb IMO.

Come on the Villa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was'nt there interest from some (proberly dodgy) Russian fella a while back?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

mike65 wrote:
    Was'nt there interest from some (proberly dodgy) Russian fella a while back?

Mike.
    Yea but nothing concrete, this looks like it could very well go through and I'd much rather a few lads from Galway than from Moscow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Deal to go through this week? heard that a cash injection was on its way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

wouldnt mind if they put a few pounds round Galway Utds way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

O'Leary came out this morning and said that the uncertainty surrounding the takeover of the club is affecting the players. Now, there is someone clutching at straws!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

As a Villa fan (well, follower/viewer more than anything) (after Shelbourne, ofc) I'm surprised these guys aren't putting money into home investments. 1% of what they're offering to Villa along with 1% of their future commitments (ie: transfer kitty) would be the backing an Irish club needs to break into the group stages.

I mean, claiming its great because they're Irish means nothing really, if all they're doing is ploughing more moola into England? May as well be Galway born English-men surely?
    Before anyone goes nuts, I don't mean any offence with that, but surely its a valid talking point? I'm just shocked to see it be claimed as great because they're "Irish".

It'll be good for Villa, but DO'L will walk the plank with Doug.

Just out of interest, here are the calculations I came up with:
    Assuming Irish Club figures as 5% of the Villa totals.

Take over:
    Villa: £64,400,000 (€94,805,521)
    Irish: €4,740,176

Minimum Annual Transfer Budget:
    Villa: £20,000,000 (€29,437,161)
    Irish: €1,471,858

Now, looking at those figures, ploughing even LESS than 5% into an Irish club would make a huge difference, i.e:

1% of the 64.4M Sterling take over would be approx 950,000 EURO.
    1% of the 20M Sterling trasfer fund would be nearly 300,000 EURO.

And suffice to say, wages wouldn't be as high either.

ONE PERCENT of the money being ploughed into English clubs by Irish men would make the world of difference to an Irish club.

As such I find the support of this because they are Irish offensive! :p

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    As a Villa fan (well, follower/viewer more than anything) (after Shelbourne, ofc) I'm surprised these guys aren't putting money into home investments. 1% of what they're offering to Villa along with 1% of their future commitments (ie: transfer kitty) would be the backing an Irish club needs to break into the group stages.

I mean, claiming its great because they're Irish means nothing really, if all they're doing is ploughing more moola into England? May as well be Galway born English-men surely?
    Before anyone goes nuts, I don't mean any offence with that, but surely its a valid talking point? I'm just shocked to see it be claimed as great because they're "Irish".

It'll be good for Villa, but DO'L will walk the plank with Doug.

Just out of interest, here are the calculations I came up with:
    Assuming Irish Club figures as 5% of the Villa totals.

Take over:
    Villa: £64,400,000 (€94,805,521)
    Irish: €4,740,176

Minimum Annual Transfer Budget:
    Villa: £20,000,000 (€29,437,161)
    Irish: €1,471,858

Now, looking at those figures, ploughing even LESS than 5% into an Irish club would make a huge difference, i.e:

1% of the 64.4M Sterling take over would be approx 950,000 EURO.
    1% of the 20M Sterling trasfer fund would be nearly 300,000 EURO.

And suffice to say, wages wouldn't be as high either.

ONE PERCENT of the money being ploughed into English clubs by Irish men would make the world of difference to an Irish club.

As such I find the support of this because they are Irish offensive! :p

I'd say it amounts to one thing: Buying Villa will get them all over the English tabloids, TV stations and on the radio in both Ireland, England and perhaps Europe.

And, even if they don't take over Villa, they've already got a huge amount of advertising for their company. Just think of the advertising it'll get them if they buy Villa. Every time someone mentions their name, their company will invariably be mentioned.

I'd imagine that's why you don't see them pumping money into Galway United.

TBH if I had the money I wouldn't touch the EPL with a 100ft pole, the Premiership is one of the best leagues in the world and attracts some of the best players in the world including the best Irish players, the EPL will never do either no matter how much money anyone invests in a club like Galway Utd or Shelbourne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

There is risks to both.

However gambling in the Premiership is much more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

if i had that amount of money i would invest it in an irish club moreso than an english club.Can you imagine what 5 million would do for an irish club.

• Advertisement

Imagine what the money Liverpool paid for Cisse could do for an irish club.

1million in ireland would go much further that 1m in britain.

Money isn't everything you could give an Irish club Chelsea's millions and they still wouldn't be able to sign the top players. Top players want to play at the highest level week in week out not in the EPL.

You are taking the piss now if you think that money wouldnt have an effect on where a player plays.

Where did Gary Liniker go near the end of his career?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

You are taking the piss now if you think that money wouldnt have an effect on where a player plays.

You can't make a team from players who are at the end of their careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

irish1 wrote:
    TBH if I had the money I wouldn't touch the EPL with a 100ft pole, the Premiership is one of the best leagues in the world and attracts some of the best players in the world including the best Irish players, the EPL will never do either no matter how much money anyone invests in a club like Galway Utd or Shelbourne.

Neither will Villa, these aren't Russian billionares.

However, less money, FAR FAR less money, could get an Irish side into the group stages of the champions league, and earn alot of money and publicity back for their investment. at Villa, the best they could do with all their money is, well, qualify for the champions league. And that would require alot more time and money too and would still be far less likely.

The most important part of that post is, "the end of his career". Top players want to play for the best teams in the best leagues until they can't because of injury or age.

Salsh/ED,I agree Villa won't attract the best in the world but they will definitely attract better players than any EPL side. I mean could you see Baros leaving the Champion Leagues winners and signing for an EPL side??? I don't think so, no matter what money was on offer.

The EPL will never attract top international players no matter what money one or two clubs have.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Neither will Villa, these aren't Russian billionares.

However, less money, FAR FAR less money, could get an Irish side into the group stages of the champions league, and earn alot of money and publicity back for their investment. at Villa, the best they could do with all their money is, well, qualify for the champions league. And that would require alot more time and money too and would still be far less likely.
    1%, I did the math! ;)

irish1, watch Joey ndo then rethink that statement! :) Whats it, 27 caps for cameroon and influential in their qualification for the last world cup, and he's only 28 (i think!) :D

Villa will most likely end up as Spurs this year, buying loads and spending lots, possibly looking to the future. Tho it might give incentives to the likes of Huth to make the switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

irish1 wrote:
    The EPL will never attract top international players no matter what money one or two clubs have.

Of course it will. It already has.

I had a think about this the other day, someone asked me what I would do if I won the €116m that the woman from Limerick won.

The first thing that came to mind was buying Shelbourne. I'd guarantee CL football within 5 years.

Yeah, same thing here. Do like they do in Qatar or whatever for a few years? lol :) I'd donate money to every club though too, say 2m each or something, for development/players or whatever they wanted! Start improving everyone! :D

Yeah, same thing here. Do like they do in Qatar or whatever for a few years? lol :) I'd donate money to every club though too, say 2m each or something, for development/players or whatever they wanted! Start improving everyone! :D

I suppose €20m for the eL wouldn't be too much hassle, I'd love a go-kart track around a big mansion somewhere down the country too. :D

I think those builders would be better off (publicity wise) by putting their money into the eL. Imagine the publicity they would get when an Irish club made the group stages of the Champions League...

I think there is probably some regulation about donating money to every club though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

To be honest if you had a ton of money to spend you you
    A. Invest it in a mid-table club in a top European league
    or
    B. Invest it in a club in a semi pro league that has been given a very poor 'bill of health' by an independednt report (Genisis) and on occasion cannot even organize refs for a top flight clash.

I'd go for A, no disrespect to EL fans here but that's the reality of it.

Look at the half build stadium in Tallagh for example, if the EL was worth it some investor whould have that place finished long ago and Rovers would be filling it week in week out.

Until such a time as the autorities here fix the EL (better media coverage, marketing, facilities, regional balance etc.) there are not going to be many big time investors.

I know where my priorities would lie anyway. With the club I go to see every week.

Thats exactly it. If I won €100+ Million, I wouldn't care about making it back. I'd happily invest 60-80Million over a few years. It's all about the heart. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

irish1 wrote:
    Salsh/ED,I agree Villa won't attract the best in the world but they will definitely attract better players than any EPL side. I mean could you see Baros leaving the Champion Leagues winners and signing for an EPL side??? I don't think so, no matter what money was on offer.

The point is it'd cost alot less money to achieve the same aim, ie champions league qualification and a massive boost to their egos.
    To be honest if you had a ton of money to spend you you
    A. Invest it in a mid-table club in a top European league
    or
    B. Invest it in a club in a semi pro league that has been given a very poor 'bill of health' by an independednt report (Genisis) and on occasion cannot even organize refs for a top flight clash.

I'd go for A, no disrespect to EL fans here but that's the reality of it.

Look at the half build stadium in Tallagh for example, if the EL was worth it some investor whould have that place finished long ago and Rovers would be filling it week in week out.

Until such a time as the autorities here fix the EL (better media coverage, marketing, facilities, regional balance etc.) there are not going to be many big time investors.

First, nobodys fixing anything without money. Money fixes problems, not the other way around.

Second, these obviously aren't in it for the money (Unless they plan to do a Louis Kilcoyne on Villa Park. I'd love to see the reaction to groundsharing with Birmingham mind you) so your point isn't really valid, it's not about making money back. Investing money in English football is equally stupid as investing it here if it's a profit you want unless you run a very, very well run club that will not overspend. They are in this for something other than money, therefore your point doesn't really apply. It's obviously about the personal glory, and for me, finishing in a slightly higher mid table position than Villa usually finish in doesn't compare to dragging a team from your home country to the big time and giving one major boost to the game here. Villa will never achieve anything bar the odd cup, these aren't billionairs. The best they can possibley do is, funnily enough, qualify for the champions league. Something that at Villa would cost alot more money and take alot more luck to do.

Slash/ED, I really can't agree that the only aim is to qualify for the Champions league, obviously it's an aim, but Villa also want to win trophie's and the FA Cup would be a possible with a few good additions. If I had money to invest I'd much rather put it into a side that could actually win a major trophy like the FA Cup or Uefa Cup.

I mean surely just qualifying for the group stages of the Champions league can't be seen as major success.

As for the men not been Billionaires, well they have assets worth over £1 Billion so they aren't stuck for money and Aston Villa also have their own property portfolio along with owning a large plot of land around the club that if zoned could be worth a fortune, that's one reason Ellis has been hanging in there.

IMO I'd rather invest a few hundred million with a chance of actually winning something major rather than just qualifying for a the group stages of the CL.

Thats exactly it. If I won €100+ Million, I wouldn't care about making it back. I'd happily invest 60-80Million over a few years. It's all about the heart. :)

Yes, of course you'd do that if you 116 million - just hand over half of it away :) Wouldn't we all.

Second, these obviously aren't in it for the money (Unless they plan to do a Louis Kilcoyne on Villa Park. I'd love to see the reaction to groundsharing with Birmingham mind you) so your point isn't really valid, it's not about making money back. Investing money in English football is equally stupid as investing it here if it's a profit you want unless you run a very, very well run club that will not overspend. They are in this for something other than money, therefore your point doesn't really apply. It's obviously about the personal glory, and for me, finishing in a slightly higher mid table position than Villa usually finish in doesn't compare to dragging a team from your home country to the big time and giving one major boost to the game here. Villa will never achieve anything bar the odd cup, these aren't billionairs. The best they can possibley do is, funnily enough, qualify for the champions league. Something that at Villa would cost alot more money and take alot more luck to do.

No offence to the EPL but taking over a club like Villa in England will get these two Irishmen alot more media coverage than taking over any Irish club ever would, even if he did pull them from obscurity to the Champions League. Just look at the amount of media coverage that they and their company are getting already.

Lemlin wrote:
    Yes, of course you'd do that if you 116 million - just hand over half of it away :) Wouldn't we all.

I love the club, and have done for years, if I was in a position to help develop and strengthen it there would be no second thoughts about it. Obviously I'd want to be more involved than just hading over money, but given the opportunity I would without hesitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I love the club, and have done for years, if I was in a position to help develop and strengthen it there would be no second thoughts about it. Obviously I'd want to be more involved than just hading over money, but given the opportunity I would without hesitation.

When you say 'more involved' what do you mean ?. Have a say in what players are bought ?. Do you have managerial experience ?. Are you going to be a chairman that puts up the money and then starts interfering (not in a malicious way) in the day to day running of the club, very dangerous routhe to go down.
    Should you change your user name to 'Vladimir Romanov' ?

Anyawy it's all hypothetical, Euro millions is on tonight so good luck.

I meant more in a capacity where I could be considered part of the club rather than some randomer handing over bucketloads of cash. I have no experience and would want the manager to have full control over the players etc, but it'd be nice to do something. Be it tend to the grass, or just wander about the place. lol.

• Advertisement

I have no experience

Doesn't FM count?? Sh1te!

irish1 wrote:
    If I had money to invest I'd much rather put it into a side that could actually win a major trophy like the FA Cup or Uefa Cup.

I mean surely just qualifying for the group stages of the Champions league can't be seen as major success.

To qualify you have to win the actual eircom League, if you didnt realise.:o

So you are winning a major trophy.

Its not as easy as it looks to win the league.

Cork City have only one it once in 21 years.

Sorry I wouldn't regard the EL as a major trophy.

irish1 wrote:
    Sorry I wouldn't regard the EL as a major trophy.

:eek:

Well it's a mainly amateur league with a very low standard of football imo. Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

irish1 wrote:
    Well it's a mainly amateur league with a very low standard of football imo. Just my opinion.

You shouldn't really post on the internet if you know nothing about the game. :rolleyes: I know absolutely nothing about cricket therefore I do not post my "opinion" on it.

Just for your information the EPL is the English Premier League:rolleyes:

What part of Birmingham is Carlow in?

• Advertisement

speriamo wrote:
    You shouldn't really post on the internet if you know nothing about the game. :rolleyes: I know absolutely nothing about cricket therefore I do not post my "opinion" on it.

Just for your information the EPL is the English Premier League:rolleyes:

What part of Birmingham is Carlow in?
    Speriamo, I said the EL, which I thought meant Eircom League, I suppose I could go for LOI, i.e. League of Ireland either.

As for me known nothing about the game, thats the most ignorant statement about me I have ever read on this forum. (note I use the word ignorant literally, i.e. lacking in knowledge about me).

I have watched many Eircom league games, purely coz I would watch any soccer but I'm sorry the standard is so low it's awful.

As for your statment about Carlow been in Birmingham, I have said it many times why I support Villa, but hey I must be a traitor to support a team in the Premiership, but I bet you support our national side which is made up of players who all play outside Ireland, bet they are traitors too???

Seriously man if the Irish league was up to standard and there was a local team I would support them, but as it stands there is no local team and the quality of football is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

This is your exact quote: "The EPL will never attract top international players no matter what money one or two clubs have."

The EL is our domestic league i.e. as in this country.

Our national team is made up of Irish players playing in a richer league. Our domestic league is made up of Irish players. I support both because I am Irish.

Your last statement confirms my original suspicion. Thanks for confirming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

speriamo wrote:
    This is your exact quote: "The EPL will never attract top international players no matter what money one or two clubs have."

The EL is our domestic league i.e. as in this country.

Our national team is made up of Irish players playing in a richer league. Our domestic league is made up of Irish players. I support both because I am Irish.

Your last statement confirms my original suspicion. Thanks for confirming.

So your also a supporter of bohs aswell since there irish? I bet you are..

I hate EL people using this whole pro-irish bollox. Just because you support a EL team doesnt make you more irish then anyone else. A person that supports a EPL isnt less irish all of sudden.

Below the top 3 the quality is shocking. Sure look how longford did in europe, its was comical.

The reason the Irish lads want to invest in Villa is because from a business sense it makes alot more sense then a EL team. There not in it to win trophies, there doing it to make money.

So your also a supporter of bohs aswell since there irish? I bet you are..

I hate EL people using this whole pro-irish bollox. Just because you support a EL team doesnt make you more irish then anyone else. A person that supports a EPL isnt less irish all of sudden.

Below the top 3 the quality is shocking. Sure look how longford did in europe, its was comical.

The reason the Irish lads want to invest in Villa is because from a business sense it makes alot more sense then a EL team. There not in it to win trophies, there doing it to make money.

Well said. Some of us don't even have an EL team we could call local.

Advertisement