Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vouched access to Soccer forum is stupid

Options
  • 31-10-2005 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

I think the process of being able to post in the Soccer forum is laborious and stupid. The whole point of only being given acces if you are vouched by two people is so dumb, what if you don't know anyone who has access to the Soccer forum?, you'd never get access, you'd be resorted to PM'ing random people in there to see if they'd let you in at which point they'd tell you to **** off (and rightly so for harrassing people by PM).

Why's it so exclusive to gain access to the soccer forum anyway?, are the majority of Boards users the great unwashed or something?. I like soccer (I am one of the endagered species known as the Crystal Palace supporter) and would like to voice my opinions on some of the threads in there but as I don't know any of the posters in the forum I'll never be able to do so!, is this really a good system?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Well look at it this way, Take a look at what that forum was like before restricting the access this way and look at it now. In my opinion it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The system was put in place to cut down on the horrendous amount of personal abuse that was being hurled around, and has been a tremendous success since it was instigated. Its probably the one reason I continue to visit the forum - I was sorely tempted to give up back in 'the bad old days'.

You've been a member since 2003 - you obviously know one or two other posters on other boards. Find some of them who also use the soccer board, and know you are a responsible poster, and get them to vouch for you. Simple as that. Assuming you are a responsible poster, of course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

People might sponsor you out of the kindness in their hearts.Jesus if I was in it I would sponsor you because of your avatar....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Read your PM's man.
    Go to the Soccer Forum Access request.
    I'll be your first sponsor.
    You won't have trouble getting a second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Yo Hagar, I tried to access the soccer access requests forum but for some reason I'm not allowed to view that forum at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you can't access the access requests forum I will be your second sponser here on this thread.

Magic!, thanks rabies.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Are you still willing to fight your crusade against the Soccer request forum's procedures or shall we lock this and maintain our understanding that the SAR forum's procedures are indeed fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Cool, another disgruntled newbie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Would it be unkind to suggest that the OP's chosen subject line shows exactly why such an access mechanism is a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Its a simple system that work. Leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

rsynnott wrote:
    Would it be unkind to suggest that the OP's chosen subject line shows exactly why such an access mechanism is a good idea?

no...i was thinking the same.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

3 months from now he'll think its the best thing about the site. Btw, I thought up that system, so... the word "stupid".... you know, its kinda emotive..... care to explain?
    *jaws shark music* :)

DeV.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It's not helped by the search function being broken for so long, I got sponsored by a couple of people I don't know, would like to pay it forward but am in no rush to sponsor someone when you can't see their previous posts...

Fine, don't give me access to the forum then, I'm OBVIOUSLY another one of those perennial arseholes/trollers by using the word "stupid" in a thread title, plus that and the fact that I'm not a member of any Boards clique clearly demonstrates my general lack of worth. All I wanted was to post a few replies in the soccer forum, simple as, my request was above my station it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

Laguna wrote:
    I think the process of being able to post in the Soccer forum is laborious and stupid. The whole point of only being given acces if you are vouched by two people is so dumb, what if you don't know anyone who has access to the Soccer forum?, you'd never get access, you'd be resorted to PM'ing random people in there to see if they'd let you in at which point they'd tell you to **** off (and rightly so for harrassing people by PM).

Why's it so exclusive to gain access to the soccer forum anyway?, are the majority of Boards users the great unwashed or something?. I like soccer (I am one of the endagered species known as the Crystal Palace supporter) and would like to voice my opinions on some of the threads in there but as I don't know any of the posters in the forum I'll never be able to do so!, is this really a good system?

i agree with this 100%. Its a ridiculous rule. using the logic that it stops flame wars etc, then we should have access requests for all forums. Isn't the whole purpose of having forum moderators to stop the type of people who post crap on the forums. If the mods do there jobs correctly then we won't need access requests, in the same way we don't need access requests for every other forum we use on boards.

Careful now The Troll, I was told in a PM that I offended people with the post you quoted, I was obviously being downright offensive and wouldn't want you to associate yourself with my thoughts by quoting me and the depravity I bring to Boards.ie.

EDIT: Don't worry BuffBot, I've revoked my request, I'm truly sorry I don't fit into the pidgeon hole you regard as 'mature and measured'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Your mature and measured response speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I personally think its a great idea.
    Online soccer forums are notorious for wild flames / "your team is ****" etc.. posts.
    I've heard from those on the forum a long while that it has significantly cut down a lot of messing.
    There are a lot of people who check the "request access" forum and will give sponsor if they believe its genuine.
    I'd check for how long they've been a member.... number of posts, and previous posts (I know searching is down, but you can usually make a good assumption on the first two).

I didnt know anyone on the board, but wrote my application and got sponsored.
    I've since sponsored a few others.

If you can think of a better way to keep out messers, I'm sure the mods would like to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

The Troll wrote:
    Isn't the whole purpose of having forum moderators to stop the type of people who post crap on the forums. If the mods do there jobs correctly then we won't need access requests, in the same way we don't need access requests for every other forum we use on boards.
    No. Mods are not there to stop constant flaming. If a forum descends in to flame wars on a consistent basis, there is something wrong with the posters, not the mods. Mods give up some of their free time to help out with the site; they don't sign up to read & police the constant stream of childish drivel that was the soccer forum before the current system came in to effect. Read [thread=152971]this thread[/thread] for a bit of relevant history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

henbane wrote:
    No. Mods are not there to stop constant flaming. If a forum descends in to flame wars on a consistent basis, there is something wrong with the posters, not the mods. Mods give up some of their free time to help out with the site; they don't sign up to read & police the constant stream of childish drivel that was the soccer forum before the current system came in to effect. Read [thread=152971]this thread[/thread] for a bit of relevant history.

No, the mods are there to ban people who post garbage and who start flaming. If people do it in the soccer forum then let the banhammer strike. Police the soccer forum in the exact same successful manner that the other forums are moderated and there won't be any problems.

Someone flames - ban them.
    Someone posts crap - ban them.

Not exactly rocket science and there is no need for the ridiculous request system.

The Troll wrote:
    Not exactly rocket science and there is no need for the ridiculous request system.

What damage does said system do you, precisely? How would anyone's life be any better if it didn't exist? Do you have a point, or are you just whining randomly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

The Troll wrote:
    No, the mods are there to ban people who post garbage and who start flaming. If people do it in the soccer forum then let the banhammer strike. Police the soccer forum in the exact same successful manner that the other forums are moderated and there won't be any problems.

Someone flames - ban them.
    Someone posts crap - ban them.

Did you read the thread I linked or was that too much trouble? Bitesize version (with no big words): Mods ended up banning several users daily. That's too much hassle to make the forum worth running. Choice was no soccer forum or access requests system.

henbane wrote:
    Did you read the thread I linked or was that too much trouble? Bitesize version (with no big words)

Now I suppose this isn't trolling?, I also suppose you have access to the soccer forum too, where you can make similar comments like the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Troll has jumped headfirst into condeming a system without fully understanding it?! No way!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Laguna wrote:
    Now I suppose this isn't trolling?, I also suppose you have access to the soccer forum too, where you can make similar comments like the above.

Henbane is merely expressing his abject wonder at peoples ability to completely ignore the reasons why the current system was developed in the first place.

Anyway, you've been offered sponsorship for said forum. Quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The offer has since been rescinded by the people who originally offered it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I think the main reason why ive taken a step back from the soccer forum is really for a few reasons.
    • The eircom league been nearly finshed
    • People who dont do any searches on who they are sponsoring
    • People adding pointless comments , just to up their post count

I think people are sponsoring for the wrong reasons and just doing it for the sake of it. I like the scheme where you have to know someone or at least speak some sort of common sense on boards before getting access.

I dont like the usual i support Dundalk FC since i was three sponsor me :rolleyes:

I think there could be improvements made to the sponsorship scheme , where by the sponsor has to me a active member of the soccer forum and for at least 6months before granting sponsorship.

This might seem like extra work for the mods but really I and im sure other people would be prepare to help out that extra bit to unsure that my favorite forum doesnt suffer from trolls / muppetts etc.

The way it stands there is a trend to the people actually willing to sponsor other people , it seems like the same people all the time.

All said above , i think the mods do a great job and take a firm and fair policy with the forum and again ill say thank you because it really is my favorite forum.

Lets look for ways to improve the sponsorships scheme , its a great thing but at this stage i think its broke and needs fixing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement