Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vouched access to Soccer forum is stupid

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

In fairness to newbies, without knowing the context for it, it does seem pretty stupid.

To those who remember the situation that led to it being put in place it's such a clear improvement on the way things were that complaining about it also seems pretty stupid.

Trust me, those were bad days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Talliesin wrote:
    Trust me, those were bad days.

Again I agree with you but i feel at this time that the scheme can only improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Can't only improve ? Does that mean it's okay as it is ??

Anyway, I agree with the active member thing but some people are active members without posting 15 posts a day and the like. Some people on the forum post once a week but read every word that is written ( I know I was when I joined originally) and I go through phases of not posting on any threads because I have nothing of worth to add to them or feel that other people have expressed my sentiments in said threads.

The other problem with the active poster thing is that it is a bit hard to enforce when search is down. In fact it would be nigh on impossible to do so. If perhaps there was a soccer post count that was maintained then that would work but TBH i like the system as it is, people can sponsor whoever they like some take a risk on it, others put a lot of effort into delving into background, there is a good mix on the forum at the moment, and hopefully we can maintain that going forward with some hardcore Modding ;)

Can't only improve ? Does that mean it's okay as it is ??

Anyway, I agree with the active member thing but some people are active members without posting 15 posts a day and the like. Some people on the forum post once a week but read every word that is written ( I know I was when I joined originally) and I go through phases of not posting on any threads because I have nothing of worth to add to them or feel that other people have expressed my sentiments in said threads.

The other problem with the active poster thing is that it is a bit hard to enforce when search is down. In fact it would be nigh on impossible to do so. If perhaps there was a soccer post count that was maintained then that would work but TBH i like the system as it is, people can sponsor whoever they like some take a risk on it, others put a lot of effort into delving into background, there is a good mix on the forum at the moment, and hopefully we can maintain that going forward with some hardcore Modding ;)

Sorry was actually a typo , what i meant to say was i feel the current system CAN only improve, this making the forum more enjoyable for its members.

I think Most people on the soccer forums understand who is a active member and who isnt even if they dont post that often , its when they do its worth the read and you know that they are reading every single word in the thread.Hence i think that the active idea could work.

I just think that when the search function is back up people should use it instead of looking to see whom the poster supports and how long they have , who cares ? You cant judge people and how they will behave by who they support just look at gimmrick he supports cork ;)

I cant stress enough how important it is for the forum and for the members that read and post there that every tom/harry isnt allowed in and the way the current system is , its enabling people that have never posted on the soccer forum ever to still grant access to people.

Like i said i think this area could be looked at futher and be more then willing to help as im ssure other guys in the forum would be.

To say it can only improve is incorrect, it could disimprove quite dramatically.

There is not alot of extra work on the mods side in what you propose I mostly just look at threads that have enough responses in the most case and that would still continue to be the case as you should not be posting on the requests forum unless you are sponsoring somebody. Also as we spend most of our boards time on soccer anyway and know who posts and in or abouts how often we would have a fair idea. I disagree with the active member bit though as it could be used as a reason for lots of spam to be posted. I need to get to one hundred posts before I can sponsor, well lets get to 100 posts then. There are a number of other reasons that I think the system you propose is flawed and if you wish we can go into them some more. But TBH, the system is working as long as the membership of the soccer forum do as they are supposed to, ie reporting posts and sponsoring users based on whatever criteria the deem fit. I am happier with the way that it is going now than I was 18 months or so ago and am happy to see that civil discussion can now be maintained where signal is by far > noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

The soccer forum was a steaming pile of shìte until the sponsorship system came in. I contributed my fair share of "Ashley Cole is brutal" and "I hate Arsenal cos they are teh ghey" type comments, so I am more than aware of the improvement.

Some decent discussions over there these days, regularly interesting reads and top notch videos and stats from the goldmine that is Eirebhoy.

Yeah i understand where you are coming from and the way your looking at it . "if its not broke dont fix it".
    But the biggest flaw surely is that someone that has never posted in the soccer forum can still sponsor someone. Explain how that benefits me as a member and you as a mod ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Sarge wrote:
    Yeah i understand where you are coming from and the way your looking at it . "if its not broke dont fix it".
    But the biggest flaw surely is that someone that has never posted in the soccer forum can still sponsor someone. Explain how that benefits me as a member and you as a mod ?

if that said someone gets banned so does the person who has never posted in soccer.

These people who do not post often, still read the board and contribute when they feel strongly enough about something. As a mdo I appreciate these people, they are less likely to start flame wars, be abusive to others and often offer an insight that may not have been formerly been made. Why should this person who posts one good post a week or month or day be stopped from sponsoring while somebody who posts 10 posts a day which are in the main, OOOh isn't roy keane great or quote great chunks of others posts and type ROFL or some other similar sh1te.

Also who is to say what is a valid contribution, if you do not agree with something tha somebody says do you take a point off their valid contribution score or revoke their right to sponsor for a month for not maintaining the Sarge standard of good posting or somesuch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, i know why the access request forum was put in place, but does it still fulfill the needs that it was put in place for?

im not so sure. im all for change when its needed or wanted, but im not for change for changes sake.

i dont agree with the 2 sponser rule. i think its a bit silly.

onthe other hand, i do like the idea of gaining access through request, becuase then you can still control who posts!

perhaps an idea of reducing the access measures to a simple request in the access forum could be tried.
    after all, the idea of these boards is to allow discussion and communication for everyone.
    the mods are sensible, im sure they can give access without the need for other people to vouch, and if the new posters act the fool, then its just as easy to take that access away.

i do however think its unfair for new posters to need 2 sponsers, because we all know that sometimespeople just cant be arsed or bothered, or people just dont know you, and the threat of banning becuase one of your sponsers is an idiot would certainly put me off giving my support to people.

so, maybe an idea we could try out for a month or two to see if it should be implemented full time, or relegated to the large pile of stupid ideas?

• Advertisement

for not maintaining the Sarge standard of good posting or somesuch ?

sarge and standards in the same sentence.
    hehehehehe

They say that the pile can be seen from space..

Ah now i thought i made some valid points :(

Sarge wrote:
    Ah now i thought i made some valid points :(
    I agree that there were some valid points made, but it would be unfair to implement them at the moment. Is like Labour and the conservatives.

Tony Blair, the soccer forum should be free for use for all.

Michael Howard, only allow those people who contribut to the soccer society should be allowed to decide who the other members are that contribute, and what's more they should all pass a test.

Charles Kennedy, I am going to decapitate everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

wAN THE LIB DEMS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I was wondering when one of these threads were going to appear, its been a while.
    I think a lot of what WWM has suggested makes sense. Maybe its time to take this offline T4TF?

Maybe it is, to the batcave.

Can I be batman, i like the cut of his jib and also the cut of his superhero costume, BTW does he really have that large a package or is he just overcompensating, answers on a postcard.

Maybe it is, to the batcave.

its the car.

chicks dig the car....

Im going to shoot myself in the foot and say that i really like Mr WWM suggeston would get rid of people sponsoring just for the sake of it.

I Have great belief in the mods of the soccer forums as i personally think they do a great job there , they should make the decesion who they think is sensible enough to make a post , without all the spam and the trolls.

Does lead to the, he wouldn't let me in because he does not like my team stuff though and I can assure you that more people would be on here every week saying how come I am not allowed to play with everyone else etc etc.

As has already been said, Talla and I will have a chat, see what we come up with and whether we agree that it is a workable system and determine if it will require another mods help and make an announcement on the board if we are going to trial a change.

• Advertisement

Yeah i could see that happening all right the whining and dinning all right "he wont let me in" maybe the mods make the intial decesion on access and then if the user wants to appeal it you could have someone to review indepenantly ?

Does lead to the, he wouldn't let me in because he does not like my team stuff though and I can assure you that more people would be on here every week saying how come I am not allowed to play with everyone else etc etc..

well, the way i see it, if people actually want to post, they will ask.
    i see no reason why you wouldnt let anyone that asks in.
    again, you know who is in and who isnt, and at the same time, if someone causes any trouble, they can be banned.

the reason for the 2 sponser idea in the first place was to stop random people coming into the foruma dn posting rubbish and then not giving a damn.

i think a simple request and short time delay will put anyone that just wants to post crap off.

Sarge
    Yeah i could see that happening all right the whining and dinning all right "he wont let me in" maybe the mods make the intial decesion on access and then if the user wants to appeal it you could have someone to review indepenantly ?

Like who, a different mod perhaps ? An independent assessor from KPMG ? We will dicsuss this with the relevant authorities and let you know.

The mods and mod police will be impacted for input and we will send out a draft charter for comments in the near future, after that there will be the update by the relevant members on the proposed charter and the inevitable chasing that has to be done as part of every review process. We will then integrate the suggested changes, go through a Fagan review and baseline the document once we are all in agreement. This should take approximately 8 months which is around 160 man days, I charge approx £550 a day normally but will significantly reduce my rate to facilitate this, infact I will do it for free. I will have to get buy in for this pro bono work from the mods and admins who will participate in it but if we are left to our own devices I am sure we will come up with some nature of workable solution in our own time.

Or maybe, just maybe Talla and I have a chat, come back see how it goes and that's it.

WW , sound like a good idea alright, I think that we eould have to maintain the month or so before asking though. Would ensure that a banned user did not come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

you could call it Genesis II

Like who, a different mod perhaps ? An independent assessor from KPMG ? We will dicsuss this with the relevant authorities and let you know.

The mods and mod police will be impacted for input and we will send out a draft charter for comments in the near future, after that there will be the update by the relevant members on the proposed charter and the inevitable chasing that has to be done as part of every review process. We will then integrate the suggested changes, go through a Fagan review and baseline the document once we are all in agreement. This should take approximately 8 months which is around 160 man days, I charge approx £550 a day normally but will significantly reduce my rate to facilitate this, infact I will do it for free. I will have to get buy in for this pro bono work from the mods and admins who will participate in it but if we are left to our own devices I am sure we will come up with some nature of workable solution in our own time.

oh! zing!

WW , sound like a good idea alright, I think that we eould have to maintain the month or so before asking though. Would ensure that a banned user did not come back.

but of course!
    its officially 'useful whitewashman thursday' today :)

Not long left in it then WWM, any more gems for us on the day that's in it.

Any chance you could head off to Iraq, them americans are ruining the place at the moment ;)

oh! zing!

Yeah i know .

/me touches hat and leaves room .

Don't leave lad, Talla and I are actually working on the suggestions that Whitey and yourslef have given us and we will have an outline charter and rules set by sunday I would imagine.

Your input is very much appreciated.

Not long left in it then WWM, any more gems for us on the day that's in it.

Any chance you could head off to Iraq, them americans are ruining the place at the moment ;)

arse, if only i'd logged on 5 minutes earlier!

• Advertisement

Don't leave lad, Talla and I are actually working on the suggestions that Whitey and yourslef have given us and we will have an outline charter and rules set by sunday I would imagine.

Your input is very much appreciated.

oh, and since i no longer need to be nice, thats Mr Whitey to you....
    :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement