Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vouched access to Soccer forum is stupid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

tsk, racist b*stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Done, please close thread. WWM, your cheque is in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mr_angry wrote:
    The system was put in place to cut down on the horrendous amount of personal abuse that was being hurled around, and has been a tremendous success since it was instigated. Its probably the one reason I continue to visit the forum - I was sorely tempted to give up back in 'the bad old days'.

You've been a member since 2003 - you obviously know one or two other posters on other boards. Find some of them who also use the soccer board, and know you are a responsible poster, and get them to vouch for you. Simple as that. Assuming you are a responsible poster, of course.

Its probably the one reason why I don't post anywhere near as often :) it and the CS forum were great places to vent some frustration at stupid United supporters :)

Yeah since the stupid Man U fan cull of 04 there is not half as much fun to be had ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I think the Request is stupid. I cant get in for love nor money.

• Advertisement

That could be more down to you than the members of the soccer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Have to say I think the access rule is pretty silly. I can understand it for newer members but surely any member of boards with say 6 months membership and 200 odd posts who is in good standing on the board generally should be able to gain access.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

padser wrote:
    Have to say I think the access rule is pretty silly. I can understand it for newer members but surely any member of boards with say 6 months membership and 200 odd posts who is in good standing on the board generally should be able to gain access.

They'd prob'ly be able to get sponsored, in fact :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

The main problem I have or had with the access forum isn't the forum itself but the way posters request for access.

''can I have access please?''

''hi, I like football.''

''Please, please, please can I have access?''

''I promise I won't get banned.''

Seriously too many comments like those above isn't going to get people to sponsor you. The fact that so many people ask for access and never mention why they think they should be sponsored, who they support or what particular aspect of football they have a particular interest is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

padser wrote:

Say someone like yourself you mean?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

The main problem I have or had with the access forum isn't the forum itself but the way posters request for access.

''can I have access please?''

''hi, I like football.''

''Please, please, please can I have access?''

''I promise I won't get banned.''

Seriously too many comments like those above isn't going to get people to sponsor you. The fact that so many people ask for access and never mention why they think they should be sponsored, who they support or what particular aspect of football they have a particular interest is unbelievable.

What exactly is it you believe people should say/declare/swear on the bible when asking for access to a forum on the internet?, surely you don't want them to give themselves a full character dissection, their dreams and goals, the number of children they have and why they have the names they do or perhaps you'd just like them to post up their C.V.

I started this thread because I can't understand the lengths one has to go through to get the much coveted access to the soccer forum, I'd liken it to the trials of Hercules. Hagar & Rabies (at the very start of this thread) sponsored me to get access, all well and good, two days on after that I still didn't get access leading me to believe my thread got up the nose of the moderators of aid forum, so I ended up rescinding my request for access to the forum if people are going to be so difficult and protective of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yeah since the stupid Man U fan cull of 04 there is not half as much fun to be had ;)

You forgot to mention the token Arsenal Supporter that was excluded as well. We don't want to make the same mistake twice and have him feeleing left out do we?

On the subject my twenty cent is that anything that will stop people signing up and posting under second accounts will work. The current system works well but is unfair on newer members who find it difficult to get sponsors.

Does nobody ever visit the forum they are whinging about. There is a new requests mechanism and charters in place.

The reason that you did not get sponsorship is because you did not request it yourself, ther reason that you could not get it yourslef is because you had previously been banned from access requests. When search is back I will tell you why.

In there it tells you exactly what you have to say.

BTW was not referring to you and the boys, more an imaginary cull of lad whatsisface and ronaldo 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Thanx 4 The Fish , well done on you and talla on the new charter its great.

No I think I can *guess* why I was deemed worthy of a banning from the access request forum.. is it because my opinion on Mick McCarthy differed from a soccer forum moderator, as in I thought he was the better in the job than Brian Kerr?...

I'm well aware conflicting opinions with moderators or well known boards members doesn't go down well and I should have known my place, back down there with the other boards plebians.

I know, I know, differing opinions from ones own are frightful and scary, I can truly see the immense need for a clandestine approach for access to a public forum, I motion Boards.ie to require access requests for all forums and, in addition, an access request forum for access to the access request forums...

I know what, lets set up a website where you request access to boards.ie?, the fun would never end!

BTW was not referring to you and the boys, more an imaginary cull of lad whatsisface and ronaldo 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and the rest.

You know what they say, "If the cap fits......................"

Congrats to youself an Talla and anyone else involved on the new charter, It appears to be fairer on new members yet should prevent the obvious problems from before .

Laguna wrote:
    No I think I can *guess* why I was deemed worthy of a banning from the access request forum.. is it because my opinion on Mick McCarthy differed from a soccer forum moderator, as in I thought he was the better in the job than Brian Kerr?... !

That must be it.
    Laguna wrote:
    I'm well aware conflicting opinions with moderators or well known boards members doesn't go down well and I should have known my place, back down there with the other boards plebians.

No Hold on a minute, Maybe thats it.

Laguna wrote:
    I know, I know, differing opinions from ones own are frightful and scary, I can truly see the immense need for a clandestine approach for access to a public forum, I motion Boards.ie to require access requests for all forums and, in addition, an access request forum for access to the access request forums...

I know what, lets set up a website where you request access to boards.ie?, the fun would never end!

But I'd have a wager that thats it.

So Muppet, what you're saying in effect is

You can have an opinion as long as it agrees with mine?

Laguna wrote:
    So Muppet, what you're saying in effect is

You can have an opinion as long as it agrees with mine?

No thats not what I am saying. I just dont agree with your what you are saying re the soccermods. If the accustaion you made in that post were true there would be fewer people with access to soccer, me included.

Do you honestly believe that you are excluded because you prefer Mick to Kerr?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Laguna wrote:
    No I think I can *guess* why I was deemed worthy of a banning from the access request forum.. is it because my opinion on Mick McCarthy differed from a soccer forum moderator, as in I thought he was the better in the job than Brian Kerr?...
    So where did you post this opinion of Mick McCarthy that conflicted with a moderators opinion that was supposedly the reason for you getting banned?

• Advertisement

Yes, I do. I only ever posted in the soccer access requests forum in reply to one thread in which someone trying to gain access to the main soccer forum was talking about Brian Kerr. I don't think I'd make a habit of regularly posting inconsequential posts in a forum that solely exists to permit access to another forum?. To top it all off, this was MONTHS AGO, is there a banning for life initiative in the access request charter for posters who differ in opinion?

talla, I may have overshot the mark with my statement about conflicting with a moderators opinion in the case of my banning from the access request forum, the 'offending' thread is so long ago, I can't even remember who I was talking to; let alone if it was a moderator. I should have said it's frowned upon in general on Boards to differ in opinion with a moderator.

Laguna wrote:
    Yes, I do. I only ever posted in the soccer access requests forum in reply to one thread in which someone trying to gain access to the main soccer forum was talking about Brian Kerr. I don't think I'd make a habit of regularly posting inconsequential posts in a forum that solely exists to permit access to another forum?. To top it all off, this was MONTHS AGO, is there a banning for life initiative in the access request charter for posters who differ in opinion?
    So from that you make the accusation that you were banned because your opinion differed from mine or T4TF.
    And how would you know what our opinions were?
    Nothing to do with the access request forum was for access requests?
    That it clearly stated it was for access requests only in the charter?
    Sure we might as well move the soccer forum to the access request forum instead.

And no, bans are not permanent in the access request forum. We're human and probably just forgot to remove the ban

I replied to the thread in an off the cuff manner, I was browsing the index of forums at the time and the thread title of Brian Kerr came up, I clicked on to it and replied, not paying attention to the location of the thread. I didn't set out to maliciously undermine the charter in the access request forum, I was following a blind link from the vbIndex, hasn't everyone done that?

Laguna wrote:

Well there's your problem. It was the fact that you posted a non access/sponsor topic in the access forum and not that you prefer Mick to Brian that led to your banning as per the old charter.

I see you have been here as long as myself so you must know by now how to go about effecting change here. Making unfounded accusations against the mods of any forum is not likely to further your cause.

Tallas obviously a much quicker tyypist than myself I.ll leave you to it.

Laguna wrote:
    I replied to the thread in an off the cuff manner, I was browsing the index of forums at the time and the thread title of Brian Kerr came up, I clicked on to it and replied, not paying attention to the location of the thread. I didn't set out to maliciously undermine the charter in the access request forum, I was following a blind link from the vbIndex, hasn't everyone done that?

Fair enough, I've restored your access to the the request forum.
    Feel free to post a request in the forum now, as you will see we've removed the need for sponsors now. Just take some time to read the charter and there will be no problems gaining access

Well when you have cleared your nose and have decided that the Mods are not banning you for bloody stupid reasons like McCarthy is better than Kerr or whatnot, feel free to apply for access.

FIGHT THE POWAH....

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Laguna wrote:
    That's great, thanks very much. I do apologise if I come across as abrupt in my posts in this thread, it's just some of the bureaucracy that exists on this site gets up my nose a little.
    Yeah, rules suck. All rules should be abolished. Everyone should be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want. That would be teh great.

• Advertisement

I said I was sorry but I still have to endure your 'smart' final word retorts, how sad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement