Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vouched access to Soccer forum is stupid

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You also accused mods of banning you because they didn't agree with you, and ranted about this being a feature of boards.ie mods as a whole. Then you tried to pass it off as "abrupt", with a parting shot about "bureaucracy".

So yeah, you said you were sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Laguna wrote:
    I said I was sorry but I still have to endure your 'smart' final word retorts, how sad.

oh pipe down there rubber ducky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

oscarBravo wrote:
    You also accused mods of banning you because they didn't agree with you, and ranted about this being a feature of boards.ie mods as a whole. Then you tried to pass it off as "abrupt", with a parting shot about "bureaucracy".

So yeah, you said you were sorry...

Did you offer anything to this thread in regard to the original question I put in place?, or do you just roam around boards, tailing on the end of threads that have run their course to flame other people?

Laguna wrote:
    Did you offer anything to this thread in regard to the original question I put in place?, or do you just roam around boards, tailing on the end of threads that have run their course to flame other people?
    Aw shucks, you got me. That's all I ever do on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

As was stated, you accused me of banning you for some other crap that really means bugger all to me. You did not apologise to me for accusing me of that, you apologised to Talla if you come across as abrupt in your posts in this thread. How you would fail to come across as abrupt, rude and frankly stupid when you launched into a rant about the general state of Moderation on boards and specifically the mods of the soccer board for having a different opinion to you, when in fact you were in the wrong is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

60996482_f56bd57ac1_m.jpg

Do us a favour and close this ****ing thread someone.

*you win*

As for spoils of your victory, I will never go to the access request forum and ask for access to the soccer forum.

:v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v:
    BONUS
    :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v:

pacman.png tbh.

Just proves my point really. You two are the types of moderators I was talking about.

• Advertisement

If you had come here, asked a civil question and not gone about accusing people of things incorrectly then there would have been no problem. Unfortunately your attitude does not help your case at all. You are welcome to apply on the soccer forum any time however behaviour such as you have displayed on this thread would not be tolerated there.

You want a civil question?, look at my original one, at the start of the thread. Look at some of the 'civil' responses I got.

Fine, don't give me access to the forum then, I'm OBVIOUSLY another one of those perennial arseholes/trollers by using the word "stupid" in a thread title, plus that and the fact that I'm not a member of any Boards clique clearly demonstrates my general lack of worth. All I wanted was to post a few replies in the soccer forum, simple as, my request was above my station it seems.

I think that is where it started going downhill for you although your introduction to the thread I would imagine did not endear you to too many people, I was not made aware of this thread for some time, I did not PM you, and I do not know who did. As muppet said, you have been here for a while, you should know that the way you have been going about this was not the best and a PM to either of the mods of the soccer forum probably would have avoided alot of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Please, please, either let him into the Promised Land or siteban him. This is getting silly.

Laguna wrote:
    You want a civil question?, look at my original one, at the start of the thread.
    Let's do that, shall we?
    Laguna wrote:
    ...laborious and stupid... so dumb... are the majority of Boards users the great unwashed or something?
    Riight. I wonder what you're like when you're being rude.

You've taken disparate comments of mine out of context and neatly put them into a phrase that wasn't in the connotation I used them in OscarBravo. I didn't make a statement verbatim to what you've concocted so the 'quote' you've created to put me back in my place wasn't worth you cutting and pasting it.

One final question - If my original questioning of the access scheme to the soccer forum was so out of line, wrong, offensive, rude and just plain inconsiderate...

Why did a change occur in the access rules to the soccer forum?.

Laguna wrote:
    You've taken disparate comments of mine out of context and neatly put them into a phrase that wasn't in the connotation I used them in OscarBravo. I didn't make a statement verbatim to what you've concocted so the 'quote' you've created to put me back in my place wasn't worth you cutting and pasting it.
    On the contrary, I explicitly used ellipses to indicate that I had omitted parts of the original post. You didn't ask a civilised question, you launched straight into a rant about a system you considered laborious, stupid and dumb. You jumped precipitously to a conclusion about your perceived attitude of moderators to other boards users, which pervaded your posts throughout the rest of the thread. Until, of course, you got your way, at which point you mumbled a perfunctory and qualified apology.
    Laguna wrote:
    One final question - If my original questioning of the access scheme to the soccer forum was so out of line, wrong, offensive, rude and just plain inconsiderate...

Why did a change occur in the access rules to the soccer forum?.
    At a guess, it happened in spite of your hectoring attitude, rather than because of it. As rude as your initial post was, it sparked a broadly useful debate on the rules.

I would personally consider this to be a very positive reflection on the maturity and capability of the mods in question, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

If the mods can't control a forum properly maybe they should stand down and let someone else take their place as mod, someone who does have the time to stop/ban for flamming

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Resorting to vouched forum access is clearly a failure of the modding system. It just proves that the modding system is not infallible. Then again who ever thought that it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MicraBoy wrote:
    Resorting to vouched forum access is clearly a failure of the modding system.
    Care to elaborate? How is the continued failure of posters to stick to the rules a failure on the moderators' parts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Microboy and The General....can you remember what the forum was like before the vouched access? Or are you just mouthing off?

It needed a mod watching every fucking post 24/7 to keep it under control. Nobody could have kept that forum descending into the shite.

MicraBoy wrote:
    Resorting to vouched forum access is clearly a failure of the modding system. It just proves that the modding system is not infallible. Then again who ever thought that it was?

thats great.

but instead of complaining, why dont you offer a constructive solution?

If the mods can't control a forum properly maybe they should stand down and let someone else take their place as mod, someone who does have the time to stop/ban for flamming

who says they cant mod the forum?
    it seems pretty well modded to me.

after all, wasnt it you that was here last month complaining about being banned for something or other.

seems to work just fine.

but of course, if you do have something interesting to add to the thread, please feel free to leave a message after the beep.

otherwise, you have just earned yourself a reputation for being a moany whinging interfering person with nothing useful to say and only disparaging remarks about things you really have no clue about.

but feel free to prove me wrong...

Care to elaborate? How is the continued failure of posters to stick to the rules a failure on the moderators' parts?

I didn't say the moderators failed. I said the system failed. Meaning that a volunteer based moderation system is not infallable without the cooperation of both posters and moderators. As Seamus and Ruggie said in this case it was posters to blame.

I do think vouched access is a bad thing. I think its against the spirit of this website.

On a side point I agree with what was said in the other thread that subscribers should be given access to the soccer forum automatically. I think a donation deserves the benefit of the doubt to given to the user.

thats great.

but instead of complaining, why dont you offer a constructive solution?

I see no complaint.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

MicraBoy wrote:
    I didn't say the moderators failed. I said the system failed. Meaning that a volunteer based moderation system is not infallable without the cooperation of both posters and moderators. As Seamus and Ruggie said in this case it was posters to blame.

I do think vouched access is a bad thing. I think its against the spirit of this website.

On a side point I agree with what was said in the other thread that subscribers should be given access to the soccer forum automatically. I think a donation deserves the benefit of the doubt to given to the user.

How about actually taking a few minutes and actually reading the mechanism that has been put in place http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054846032

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am not going into why the vouched access was brought in, the relevant threads are linked here and at the time it had the support of the admins. The system in general has worked and has allowed the soccer forum to have a decent level of discussion without the rubbish that has blighted other soccer forums.

I agree the system is in general against the whole ethos of the site and the fact that DeVore agreed to it, someone who has been involved in the EFF speaks alot. It is unfair on new users but those that are willing to be patient for a month or two will get access and get to discuss football with some very knowledgable & intelligent posters.

With regard to subscribers yes maybe you are right, maybe they should get access, then again we could be giving out the message that you can buy your way into the forum. This is something for the admins to decide, it is their baby after all. All us mods are the babysitter, hoping for a lollipop and quick grope from one of the parents (that should cover all flavours of mods here!! fecking weirdos the lot of em!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MicraBoy wrote:
    As you quite rightly point out, moderation on most of the other forums only works if posters are more-or-less left to police themselves. If, as happened on the soccer forum, the number of disruptive posters is more than the moderators can handle, then the system of moderation on that forum needs to change. And it did. And the majority are happy again, and the new system works.

Ergo, switching to vouched access is a successful system.

MicraBoy wrote:
    I see no complaint.....

ok then, whats your solution to your observation that vouched access is not an acceptable form of regulating posting on a forum?

• Advertisement

How about actually taking a few minutes and actually reading the mechanism that has been put in place http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2054846032

Thanks but I know the rules have changed. Which is good because that means the Feedback forum works. I was talking about the old system, which I hope won't return on soccer or any other forum.
    ok then, whats your solution to your observation that vouched access is not an acceptable form of regulating posting on a forum?

The new system works for me. At least responsibility is with individuals and not with other posters. Perhaps a comment or link as to why it's restricted access might help newbies understand why things are the way they are.

Now just mod it with an iron fist and bob's your uncle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement