Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vouched access to Soccer forum is stupid

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

MicraBoy wrote:
    Thanks but I know the rules have changed. Which is good because that means the Feedback forum works. I was talking about the old system, which I hope won't return on soccer or any other forum.

so what you are saying is that you just came on here and spouted out something without knowing anything about the situation?
    MicraBoy wrote:
    The new system works for me. At least responsibility is with individuals and not with other posters. Perhaps a comment or link as to why it's restricted access might help newbies understand why things are the way they are.

Now just mod it with an iron fist and bob's your uncle.

responsibilty has always been with the poster since day-1.
    its called 'Owning Your Own Words'.

if you dont have the belief and conviction of what you type, then dont say it.

it also means that if you are a bad boy, and insult someone, you get banned.
    it means if you say something that is not true, then you can be called on it.
    it means that if you give an uninformed opinion on a topic, then people will know in future not to listen to what you have to say...

it is not the job of a moderator to ensure that people say things that are within the very loose charters on these forums. the moderators job is to oil the cogs, keep things flowing, and in my opinion, only interfer when and where its is needed. this is open to discussion, and some mods interfer more than others. thats up to them. there are no guidelines.

if a forum gets filled with spam and insults and all that crap, then the mod is fully entitled to put in place whatever they deem neccessary to ensure the forum flows again.
    if you think its stupid, then maybe you dont know the story.

another good maxim here is 'Ignorance is Not an Excuse'.

it means, just becuase you didnt know, doesnt mean you are justified in spouting off. If you didnt know the reasons for the rules, or that the rules had been changed, then thats your problem. this is not a public information service board. you are empowered to do your own thing. if you find that you cant manage to find out things on your own, then maybe you should develope your own buddy system to help you keep tabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

MicraBoy wrote:
    Now just mod it with an iron fist and bob's your uncle.

There is no need to mod it with an iron fist, regardless of what your experience in modding is, the fact of the matter is, the Soccer board works.

We are trialling a new access system and if it does not work then we will go back to the sponsorship method. The reason for this is that we have now seen again the utopia of a soccer board that is self modding. Users do not join just to spout the "MY TEAM R TH3 WIN AND YOU ARE ALL A SHOWER OF CNUTS" bit, they join because they realise that it is a good place to go to have some informed chat and debate about the footballing matters of the day. The sponsorship method meant that people took their access to soccer seriously as if they screwed up, it would directly impact those good enough to sponsor them. There are over 700 members of the soccer forum now, there is at most a ban every couple of weeks, that is not bad, the turn around time for a reported post to a banning is quite short too, as the mods are for the most part ever present on the forum, once a post is reported, or if one of us spots it, user banned and that's that, so suggesting that the mods were not doing their job before or cannot do it now is laughable.

The system we have in place now does put the onus to behae squarely on the shoulders of the poster. The moderators for their part will uphold the charter. If the posters on the forum are adult enough to post in a civil manner then the access method will continue as is, otherwise it will go back to sponsorship and anybody who has joined under the curresystem may have to seek access to continue posting. While I hope that would not happen, if the fit hits the shan again, Talla and I will have absolutley no qulams in switching straight back to Sponsors for Access immediately.

As for subscribers getting straight in to every forum, I disagree with it, the rules should apply to everybody in the same way, this isn't like being in Jail you know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

so what you are saying is that you just came on here and spouted out something without knowing anything about the situation?

No I was saying the complete, total and utter opposite.

MicraBoy wrote:
    No I was saying the complete, total and utter opposite.

why are you complaining about the old system when you know there is a new system?

i mean you said that you think a 'vouched access system' doesnt work. but you already knew that its not there anymore.

its kinda conflicting dontcha think?

what exactly was your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Sigh....once more for those standing at the back.
    why are you complaining about the old system when you know there is a new system?
    I didn't complain about anything. I commented that the introduction of the 'vouched for' system came about because the moderation system failed. i.e the moderation system is not infallible, you can't expect it to work perfectly every time, and that posters have a part to play in making it work. This was not a criticism on the moderators. I never disagreed with the reasons why it was introduced, I have understood them from the first time I read them.
    i mean you said that you think a 'vouched access system' doesnt work. but you already knew that its not there anymore.
    I never said that either. I said I didn't like the system (because it appears cliquey to newbies) and thought it was against the spirit of boards (a generally open community). The vouched system obviously did prevent muppetry and worked in that regard. That doesn't make it the best system.
    its kinda conflicting dontcha think?

It is yes, when you don't actually read what I post.
    what exactly was your point?

Well if you can't figure that out for yourself, "may be you should develop a buddy system to help you keep tabs?"

• Advertisement

MicraBoy wrote:

I didn't complain about anything. I commented that the introduction of the 'vouched for' system came about because the moderation system failed. i.e the moderation system is not infallible, you can't expect it to work perfectly every time, and that posters have a part to play in making it work. This was not a criticism on the moderators. I never disagreed with the reasons why it was introduced, I have understood them from the first time I read them.?"

there is no vouched access system anymore.
    thats my point.
    stop talking about it as if its still in place....
    it has been replaced with another system. keep up for those of you at the back....

i have no idea what you are talking about with your 'moderation system isnt infallible'. what ar eyou talking about? can you please explain?
    MicraBoy wrote:
    I never said that either. I said I didn't like the system (because it appears cliquey to newbies) and thought it was against the spirit of boards (a generally open community). The vouched system obviously did prevent muppetry and worked in that regard. That doesn't make it the best system.

would this be the system that is no longer in place?
    MicraBoy wrote:
    It is yes, when you don't actually read what I post.

"

apparently its confusing becuase you dont know about the new system.....
    MicraBoy wrote:
    Well if you can't figure that out for yourself, "may be you should develop a buddy system to help you keep tabs?"

that would be a fantastic zing, if only you hadnt fcked up with not knowing about the new access system for the football forum!
    oh, you look a little bit silly now....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

5 star thread so far. I just find it strange that you can't vote for 6 stars which seems to be the max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

gandalf wrote:
    All us mods are the babysitter, hoping for a lollipop and quick grope from one of the parents (that should cover all flavours of mods here!! fecking weirdos the lot of em!!).

Ok. I was gonna post a very innocent post (really, it was....) re the Socceroos getting into the World Cup but I was NOT ALLOWED (Naughty naughty SexeeAussie).......

so I have a BIG jar of lollipops and the last time I looked I had two hands for lots of groping......

So, how bout it???????

Ok. I was gonna post a very innocent post (really, it was....) re the Socceroos getting into the World Cup but I was NOT ALLOWED (Naughty naughty SexeeAussie).......

so I have a BIG jar of lollipops and the last time I looked I had two hands for lots of groping......

So, how bout it???????

i am now officially embarrassed to be australian...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

*roffle*

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

human is the word I would have chosen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I didn't know you could embarass an Australian. ;)

Ohhhh poor diddums!

:)

Ohhhh poor diddums!

:)

indeed.

did you try the soccer access request forum.
    i really dont want everyone out there thinking that australians are total fúckwits....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

indeed.

did you try the soccer access request forum.
    i really dont want everyone out there thinking that australians are total fúckwits....

Awww Eamo please have some confidence in yourself, none of us think you are a fúckwit!!!

Are you suggesting that 'I' am an F WIT....... cos really, I won't have you calling me names until you actually meet me and realise that I am in fact a little on the 'thick' side!!!

I haven't tried to gain access to the forum to be perfectly honest....was just making an innocent post originally regarding HAVING to access the forum to make a post....no biggie here darling. Was more interested in having to bribe certain Mods with lollipops and groping.......

(NB~ to keep whitewashman happy I must stress that NOT ALL AUSSIES ARE FWITS OR DEVIANT SEXSTARVED PERVERTS.......Only 'some' of us!!!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement