Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to improve the Level of Discussion on the boards....

Options
  • 21-09-2001 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

It seems the toipic always comes around eventually (as it will again soon) as to the lack of any interaction, new blood or interest in the boards.

It seems to me that the main problem is the endless legions of "Quote and paste" merchants who clog threads with quote+put down, quote+correction, quote+general smart-ass comment. This not only leads to excessive repetition and over long threads but a mass of comment which has no point or reason.

When someone actually posts a formulated opinion or argument for discussion, invariably he/she is disagreed with by a mass of the Cut and Quote merchants. Their replies are simply lazy put downs requiring no real thought (critism is the easiest form of comment) and can in themselves not be argued with or critisised as they are not actually putting forward any actual contrary or new opinion.

Result = thread dies in quogmire and disinterest or confusion.

I would suggest an end to the "quote" function. At least let the lazy B*stards type, instead of having software do the work for them. We may at least be able to get a ledigable thread or one that is interesting and has continuity of debate. Suspend the function for a month ay least and see if it makes a difference. Until then I will go elsewhere for stimulating and interesting debate. :cool:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

*As a postscript I would point out that when the boards are dull and uninteresting the only people left posting lame threads are the very same quote and paste merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Magwitch
    It seems the toipic always comes around eventually (as it will again soon) as to the lack of any interaction, new blood or interest in the boards.

It seems to me that the main problem is the endless legions of "Quote and paste" merchants who clog threads with quote+put down, quote+correction, quote+general smart-ass comment. This not only leads to excessive repetition and over long threads but a mass of comment which has no point or reason.

When someone actually posts a formulated opinion or argument for discussion, invariably he/she is disagreed with by a mass of the Cut and Quote merchants. Their replies are simply lazy put downs requiring no real thought (critism is the easiest form of comment) and can in themselves not be argued with or critisised as they are not actually putting forward any actual contrary or new opinion.

Result = thread dies in quogmire and disinterest or confusion.

I would suggest an end to the "quote" function. At least let the lazy B*stards type, instead of having software do the work for them. We may at least be able to get a ledigable thread or one that is interesting and has continuity of debate. Suspend the function for a month ay least and see if it makes a difference. Until then I will go elsewhere for stimulating and interesting debate. :cool:

I disagree

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

.. disabling quote function wouldn't do any good... you could still use loads of - you said "rah rah rah" type stuff using special right click copy and paste™ skills... not to mention the elite hackers who can do that keyboard shortcut thing too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

You need a good FAQ for newbies.

Not all muppets mean to be muppets. Unless you set the rules straight lots of decent people will make mistakes.

I'm involved in about 60 online communities and I still make mistakes *all the time*.

If there is no introductory document setting down the ground rules for a community, newbies will break them ;)

Alis (Currently still a Mistake Maker)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭RiCo

As a member of about ten boards, and to be honest its difficult to keep track of which is which, I come accross lots of morans.

The lite relief I get from say... Amp's little jester (nice 1) is often worth the effort it takes to check for posts and I for one would not stop it.

Simply put if its related to the post (even in fun), it's a valid post.

The quote is often useful in large treads as a reminder but over do it and your a 100% moran. I'd keep it. An option would be a link to the post and not the actual post text. Besides you only have to copy and paste to make a quote..

Let a few more people moderate and delete unwanted posts and clean up the system...

What can I say it's late I'm loosing it! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by amp

I disagree

Quoting is fine as long as it's done right. You only need to quote a sentance out of a paragraph to comment on that section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by Hobbes

Quoting is fine as long as it's done right. You only need to quote a sentance out of a paragraph to comment on that section.

I agree-:p

No seriously its very useful on a very busy board like IrelandOffline so as to be able to put posts in the context of what has previously been siad- where for instnce somebody has posted in the interveing period and thus it would make your post look a little OT:)

Its a good feature that is necesary from time to time!

Advertisement