Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to NY on Wednesday.

• 31-10-2005 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Need some fashion advice.

Im looking for nice clothes to go out in, the type that will detract attention from my ugly face :p

Im a bloke and I'm 18.

So what's stylish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Don't be harsh on yourself saying your ugly, there's enough people in the world to run you down.

Besides, something trendy-casual would do well in New York, nice pair of slacks, shoes and a shirt/sweater. Americans aren't the best dressers themselves you know (besides the wealthy Manhattan socialites).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I plan to raid Woodbury Common, and 21st Century. Im just looking for idea's on brands etc.

Oh and I dont think I made myself clear in the 1st post. It's not for going out in Ny (I'm 18 I cant :() they're for bringing home and going out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Ah, I see

Well to be honest the clothes shops in New York are priced like London... outrageously

You may laugh but I recommend on buying a truck load of stuff from GAP. GAP clothes are pretty cool I reckon and are very cheap in America in comparison with here in Europe, also if you're into sportswear (Trainers/Replica shirts etc.) they're half the price over there than what you pay in Lifestyles/Champion sports here. The US stores of TK Maxx are excellent too. Check out the Nike store too!, class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you got woodbury everything is waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper but 5th ave is like dublin expensive!

stock up on ralph and tommy, american eagle and abercrombie for casual gear and boss etc for more formal stuff

woodbury commons is quality!

Cyrus wrote:
    if you got woodbury everything is waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper but 5th ave is like dublin expensive!

stock up on ralph and tommy, american eagle and abercrombie for casual gear and boss etc for more formal stuff

woodbury commons is quality!
    Yeah I'm going there on my 2nd day so I plan to buy loads of stuff.

Cheers for the suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Abercrombie & Fitch
    American Eagle
    Hollister

These are the good value shops for your age group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

Abercrombie & Fitch,

Theres one on 5th Avenue...up near central park, & down beyond
    Century 21,i cant remember the name of the area....its east of century 21 near the river...there clothes can't be got here,well worth the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Century 21 is right across the road from the old Twin Towers site..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭hardtrainer

Abercrombie is ok, but everyone is wearing it now, kinda old news really. As for American Eagle, they're just a cheap version of AnF and the quality is worse than GAP.

Don't go too mad in century 21, thats fine for underwear and socks and such, keep your cash for woodbury common. You should be able to get some good quality stuff there, just avoid anything with a big brandname on it or a trademark plastered across the back, they date too easily as the designers alter the branding slightly from season to season.

There are some great shops down near SoHo and Nolita that stock young designer stuff that you can't get anywhere else....they're your best bet since you won't see anyone else in dublin wearing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

paul moore wrote:
    Abercrombie & Fitch,

Theres one on 5th Avenue...up near central park, & down beyond
    Century 21,i cant remember the name of the area....its east of century 21 near the river...there clothes can't be got here,well worth the money

Seaport beside Fulton fish market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Don't go too mad in century 21, thats fine for underwear and socks and such, keep your cash for woodbury common.

Good advice. Personally, I thought Century 21 was a pile of poo, full of trash (customers and stock). If you like their stuff, then try the Quicksilver shop (around Times Square I think). The Levis shop was quite well priced - that was near Lex and 57th I think.

Macy's is crap. It's huge, but the mens department was shìte. Bloomingdales was surprisingly well priced for some stuff (RL shirts etc).

eoin_s wrote:
    Good advise. Personally, I thought Century 21 was a pile of poo, full of trash (customers and stock). If you like their stuff, then try the Quicksilver shop (around Times Square I think). The Levis shop was quite well priced - that was near Lex and 57th I think.

Macy's is crap. It's huge, but the mens department was shìte. Bloomingdales was surprisingly well priced for some stuff (RL shirts etc).
    Hmm I'm interested in the Quicksilver shop, have to check that out.

I'll report back on this thread when I return.

the quiksilver shop is a great place alrite t-shirts around $20, can't miss it really rite on the corner of Times Sq.

check this out too....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=316279

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

oh my god, I want to go to NY on a shopping spree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Guv

Is woodbury common an outlet mall?
    Lot's of bargains to be had stateside especially just off the beaten track, means lots of walking, so you might get a bargain but you know you earned it! :-)

Guv wrote:
    Is woodbury common an outlet mall?
    Lot's of bargains to be had stateside especially just off the beaten track, means lots of walking, so you might get a bargain but you know you earned it! :-)

yes its among the biggest in the NY area although it is actually about an hour outside the city.
    Jersey gardens is also something similar albeit of smaller size but supposed to be better quality shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

new york city is very expensive....go to the "malls" to get real bargains..and its only then that you realise how much you are getting ripped off back home........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

oh my god, I want to go to NY on a shopping spree...

haha i feel the exact same way............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Guv

cupthehand wrote:
    yes its among the biggest in the NY area although it is actually about an hour outside the city.
    Jersey gardens is also something similar albeit of smaller size but supposed to be better quality shops
    Cheers mate, this is on the way to NJ or close to NJ? I think I heard about it and was meant to go but my cousin is a lazy ba$tard and decided NYC was easier.:)

Got back this morning with a big packed suitcase.

Woodbury common is amazing! So many shops and so cheap! Got loads of french connection, levi's and the like there.

Century 21 was ****e, I left after 5 mins and just had a walk around downtown.....

where I stumbled across Abercrombie, amazing clothes and good prices. Got a cream hoody and some jeans for $130 + tax

Macy's was more for convenience than anything else as it was right outside my hotel. Good selection, got a lovely brown jacket there.
    I got alot more but I couldn't be arsed typing it all out as it has to be unpacked.
    Cheers for all the suggestions!

• Advertisement
Advertisement