Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have any luck setting up a Linksys WAG54G with Digiweb 2Mbps?

• 31-10-2005 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just switched over the last few days from UTV (to hell with them - 8GB cap and 1Mbps for 30 a month) to Digiweb's 40GB/2Mbps DSL package... So far, I've been very impressed with them, speeds are very good and they handled the whole transition process from UTV for me, taking only about a week to get me up and running.

I've only hit one snag: I've used a Linksys ADSL WAG54G gateway for ages now with UTV but I can't get this to work with Digiweb, so I have to huge the fairly basic Zyxel modem they sent. My basic setting for VC, Multiplexing, PPPoE, all check out and I've compared them to the ones I get on the Zyxel.

For whatever reason though, I can get no Internet connection with my Linksys, even though it indicates it's connected, my ADSL link is up and even the WAN address is correct. Still, I can't reach any web page but if I simply unplug everything and connect the Zyxel (again over Ethernet), change no network settings, I can then connect just fine.

So, I must be missing a setting in the router configuration, but not too sure what. The Linksys is a popular router, so I was wondering if anyone here has used it with Digiweb's DSL? Even another third party router configuration may help, so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

No one at all? I'm guessing other Linksys routers may share the same config more or less. Funny thing is, I can connect if I set up a BB connection for whatever reason (kinda like having a dial up connection, but via the LAN) but it's extremely slow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I have a linksys router set up with my digiweb dsl, what are you
    trying to do?

Thanks for the reply Ricey, I'll give it a go. All I'm trying to do is use the WAG54G (which has an ADSL modem built in), instead of the Zyxel provided by Digiweb themselves. The basic settings I can think of (VPI/CI, Multiplexing, PPPoE, login settings) all appear to be correct, but I can't get an Internet connection.

I can go online, ADSL link is reported as up (LEDs indicate that as well), but neither Firefox or IE can connect to anything and I can't ping any servers. If I simply disconnect the Linksys and hook up the Zyxel, it all works just fine. That's what I'm struggling with - I simply can't see what setting I'm missing...

Ok this is exactly what you have to do. Forget about entering any settings in the Linksys router just set it to "automatic configuration DHCP" the only settings you will need to enter on the linksys router is for the wireless stuff. But the first thing you should do is open the Zyxel modems setting page ie 192.168.1.1 and click on LAN then look for the part were it says TCP/IP and change the IP Address to 192.168.2.1 and thats it. Everything should work perfect now. To access the router you will use 192.168.1.1 and the modem 192.168.2.1 these cant be the same "192.168.1.1" let me know if it works.

:EDIT: just seen that u dont want to use the Zyxel modem but i think you will have to i tried it and can only use the router along with the modem digiweb gave me, you might aswell do it that way it will be set up in a few mins.

• Advertisement

Thanks but this doesn't work. I go into the Zyxel's conifiguration, apply the IP as 192.168.2.1 and I'm instructed to close the window. Trying to get back into the configuration ,the IP is still 192.168.1.1.... If I don't close the window, same thing.... I can't change the IP to 192.168.2.1....

The Linksys utility does not support my router and there's no firmware update for the WAG54G, v.1 router that I have....

The point is though, that this should work, because I have an ADSL modem built into the gateway. I noticed in another post that you have a WRT54G (I think), so by definition, you have to use the provided ADSL modem, since your router does not include one.... Realistically, the settings should be identical to UTV (and for the most part, they are) so I can't see what's going wrong. Everything indicates that the ADSL is up and running, but still no connection with the Linksys...

you must be able to chang the ip, try changing the ip on the linksys router.

Thanks for all the suggestions - it's appreciated.

I finaly got it to work like I wanted to, without the Zyxel in the loop. My main gateway configuration setup, allows for either "Keep Alive" connections or "Connect On Demand". With UTV, "Keep Alive" was always the one that worked, but with Digiweb, only "Connect on Demand" does, otherwise I see all the weird sideffects I mentioned in previous posts. All remaining settings are the same as UTV basically.

So, now I can finally share the connection between all my PCs. :)

Thanks again Ricey. On another note, how long have you had Digiweb for? Are you happy overall? I'm very impressed so far, but I've only been with them for less than a week now...

Glad you got it working. I have had them for over 12 months now and never had any problems im on the 3mb package and always get max that pings are good so games online play well the tech team is always on the ball. Saying that i wont be renewing my contract again i have metro ordered and been waiting ages so if i can get DSL from magnet i will.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Make sure too that you get rid of your utv proxies (if you have not already done so!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

probally digiweb are only allowing connections from a particular device defined by its mac address

digiking wrote:
    probally digiweb are only allowing connections from a particular device defined by its mac address

I doubt it, seeing as it now works with the Linksys. The Zyxel modem Digiweb provides is packed away once again :) . I'm totally confused still on why I needed to adjust the connection setting and it seems the hardware firewall on the Linksys gateway causes some issues too. Still, it works fine now and that's good enough for me. It's a joy to be rid of UTV...

Advertisement