Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU worry for Athlon processor

• 21-09-2001 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Ok, heres the situation. I am building a system with a 1.4gig athlon processor. I wanted to use the Enlight 7237 case with a 250 watt psu, but i read on the web that you need a minimum 300 watt psu, or it might not boot.

The AMD website seemed to confirm that they reccomend a minumium 300 watt psu.

Have any of you built a similar spec machine?

Will I need to worry about the 250 watt psu?

If I need a 300watt psu, where can I buy one here in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Athlon 300W Power Supply £28.48
    www.itdirect.com Naas Co. Kildare

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I was using a 250w power supply in my Athlon 1000...until last night. Installed an internal Zip drive and now it won't boot even with every drive bar the hard drive disconnected :(

Oh well, I wanted to change case anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just built a system in a case from Maplins that has a 300w psu .

All works perfectly fine, the case was £90 (which includes the psu), its a nice setup, bar the fact that the psu appears to be a permanent fixture, ie if it blows i need a new case.

That said i've a surge protector and if i get a surge big enough to fry it , i'll probably need a new motherboard etc anyhow, so not too bothered.

And yes what you read is correct..you need a 300w min for a 1.4 Athlon, preferably bigger.

Gerry reccommended the Maplins box to me in another post and i've no complaints, everything works fine so i'd go for that if you are in the Dublin area, and want something handy.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Good Man Longfield

Just what I needed to know, and the case I had my eye on comes with a 300w psu also,so it will be either one for me.

Both of them are similar prices as well :D

Just one point;Legion, if you go for the Maplins case, don't be a spa like me :D

There are no screws to open it..i spent a couple of hours looking at it figuring how to open the bloody thing (there are no instructions) before i called in and asked red faced how to open it (the total humiliation!!), the front pulls off, then the sides just slide out, grip the base of the front and give a firm tug.

Trust me, saves you incredible humiliation of asking how to open :) , you'll appreciate this advice if you get the case and see what i mean.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

*cough* muppetreh *cough* :)

btw, I had no idea that the case had gone up to 90 quid. It used to be 50, then 64!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Cheers Lads,

You've been a big help :D

Originally posted by Gerry
    *cough* muppetreh *cough* :)

:p:p:p tis only easy when ye know how :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xenophobic

A word of warning with the Maplins cases, be sure you get the 300 Watt not the identical 250 Watt. They upgraded the PSU quite recently (if you look in their catalogue they say that the case has a 250Watt PSU), both cases have the same product code and the only way to tell is to have a look at the PSU fan, there should be either a green or blue label on the fan. Unfortunately I can't remember which was which Green/Blue-250/300?

Xeno

Ehh? Xeno , was in there this afternoon, and was having a look though the current catalog, am using the "new" case with the funky green bezal effect, the psu inside says 300w, but never hurts to state "i want a case with a 300w psu" i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

I bought the Enlight 7237 case with a 250 watt psu, and I run my Athlon 1Ghz @ 1.35Ghz with loads of fans, zip, dvd, cdrw, hd, geforce 2, etc, etc, totally fine (but I'd say its probably maxed at this stage...).

Saying that I'm gonna buy a 400+W PSU very soon.

Just my pennies worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

I got a 1.1GHZ Athlon, with 2 HDD, 512MB RAM, DVD, CDRW, Sound Card, Modem, 2 NIC's, 6 Fans, MPEG card, Voodoo 3 AND my monitor all running off a 230V PSU without any probs. Still amazes me, but it still works too!!! :-)

Advertisement