Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

prospects for a rookie mechanical engineer designer

• 31-10-2005 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭

greetings
    iv just graduated with a mechanical engineering diploma and am seeking work as a designer. however iv been struggling as of my lack of experience, i know everyone has this problem at some stage but im wondering has anyone any advice for getting a start in this kind of area.
    iv done alot of design in our course including designing a bottling machine and also part of group designs for jigs and stuff and am well able to handle solid works.

by the way i must say that that is one cool program, makes autocad look like pong!!please dont sue me mr auto cad, im unemployed!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Hey im a mech too.
    Got my Cert & Dip and finishing my Degree and have a nearly 2yrs experience (im taking the scenic route). You need experience no matter how crap it is or how bad the work it is - get the foot in the door and your away.

In terms of software dont hang your name to just one package it narrows your options way too much.Join iei.ie or whatever the call themselves and check the bulletin board for work. Also it may be worth getting a letter of recommendation from a Lecturer to add to your CV and ask in your Department if any companies have sent in any offers for jobs.Mention your project in your CV also it looks good.

Nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

yes im taking a similar scenic route as i plan on going back to do my degree in september or the following year!! thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Aln_S

Hi!
    I just graduated this year with a mech Eng Degree and lookin for a job at the mo aswell. I have been lookin since Sept. there is not alot out there. Good option Nukem 2 yrs experience will really stand to u when u Graduate. Everyone is lookin for experience now and as soon as you say Graduate they dont want to hear from you.
    Best of luck with your job huntin tho gucci!

Advertisement