Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Computer Neards here... Help PLS

Options
  • 31-10-2005 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

I want to learn how to telnet and ho it works. I've searched through google and can't find any good website's which show you how and the basic's.

I know everyone says google is your friend, but not on this
    Anyone recommend any good website's i could go to? or any books i could try in the libary

Any help will grateful:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Did you mean nerds?
    Use your previous thread.

mneh.
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=how+to+use+telnet&meta=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

You've obviously got great people skills, calling people nerds then asking them to teach you how to use Telnet.. pfff RTFM.

Use Google, surely even non-nerd superstars like yourself can use it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

And apart from the people skills you are asking in the broadband forum why .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

Ok What Form Should It Be Mr. Perfect...........brendand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Gaz25 wrote:
    Ok What Form Should It Be Mr. Perfect...........brendand

Do you want a shovel to dig that hole faster ?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

obligatory: "Dig up stupid"

If he has nothing constructive to say, then dont bother at all!!

I didn't mean to offend anyone when i said computer neards.......sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Gaz25 wrote:
    If he has nothing constructive to say, then dont bother at all!!

I didn't mean to offend anyone when i said computer neards.......sorry

Post-Crap-Dog_Suicide.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

eh i think i know that

haha!nice picture. :D

OP: i answered your question as well as anyone is going to in your original thread. creating another thread,in the wrong forum,and calling people neards[sic] is just plain unproductive to begin with. the fire continues..

• Advertisement

Karoma i thank you for your help:) ....i just thougt i would see anyone else had any idea's. I prob should have put the forum in programming, but i didn't think it really matters.

Not as if i selling a car and puting the thread in Broadband.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Gaz25 wrote:
    I want to learn how to telnet and ho it works. I've searched through google and can't find any good website's which show you how and the basic's.
    telnet hostname

works great for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

moving this to net/comms (i guess)
    you're likely to get a less sarcastic response there

tbh - google is sure to know the answer
    -> http://webmasterworkshop.com/guides/telnet_guide.shtml

uh...programming..good idea..create another thread in there..no harm..

MiCrO thank you for the link:D I didn't think there was any need for the sarcastic marks. I will have a look at this, thank again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Gaz25 wrote:
    MiCrO thank you for the link:D I didn't think there was any need for the sarcastic marks. I will have a look at this, thank again.

I'd say the people making the sarcastic "marks" probably didn't think there ws any need for the moronic thread title. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I think I will rescue you now, I know what it feels like to get "flamed" on a message board. Ah by the way the guys and gals were right though, a quick search of the board index would have revealed the net/comms board where you should have posted it, you could have also said "Mods please move this post to another forum if you have to, I am not sure where to post it", that seems to be what most people do when they are not sure.

Now for the rescuing part.
    Telnet is an old protocol for connecting to UNIX machines, your telnet program would be a terminal emulator (but dont worry about that). The protocol was really insecure and has been superseded by SSH (Secure SHell).
    Googling telnet or SSH should give you the information that you want.

To connect to another computer you would type (on windows)
    telnet computer.domain
    Telnet would then connect you to the login program on the remote computer on the default port of 23. You would then see a login prompt such as:

Welcome to eircom!
    login:
    (I used to get this message when I used Hyperterminal to connect to eircoms 1891 150 150 number).

To specify a different port to connect to you just added it to the command line like so:

telnet computer.domain 25

I personaly use telnet for testing servers. For example if I want to check and see if a mail server is working I would telnet into it, almost all servers will respond to a telnet connection and if you have a good knowlege of the server protocol you can also do some pretty interesting things such as sending an email to someone from themselves.

EG: telnet mail2.eircom.net 25 gives me the response:
    220 mail10.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net ESMTP

I learned this information form C Meinels Guide to mostly harmless hacking, I have an archive of some of the guides on my website, so you can download them from there, [url]Http://www.dragonseye.net/home[/url]

I hope this answers your question, oh try searching for telnets RFC. It will contain all the details on the telnet protocol.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you understand how Telnet works and you haven't seen this before
    - enjoy and be amazed
    (it's not finished stops about half way through)

[url]telnet://towel.blinkenlights.nl[/url]

how to send an email in telnet
    www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Telnet-Exchange2003-POP3-SMTP-Troubleshooting.html

If you don't understand how telnet works - it sends one character per packet to/from the application at the other end. There are many applications at the other end from dumb terminals to routers to whatever. You just have to the manuals for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Star wars on Telnet, now that has to be the most unique use for such an old protocol, considering that I just use it for testing servers and port probing.

Advertisement