Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Recall...

Options
  • 01-11-2005 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

I got notification last week that my Celica needs to go back to the garage because the "brake master cylinder" may have been subject to a manufacturing issue and they need to check it out. I'm always of the opinion that if it's not broken then don't fix it but when it comes to the internal workings of my car I leave it up to the experts. So, just to educate me a bit - what is the brake master cylinder and what does it do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The Brake master cylinder is connected to the brake pedal. When you press the brakes, the fluid in the master cylinder is compressed and causes the calipers on your brakes to push the brake pads against your drums/disks.

If the seals on the master cylinder fail you will get reduced braking power. Basically there is a dual circuit and if you get a failure you will have a reduced brakeing effort.

I would get the checks carried out as recommended.

If the master cylinder fails it will affect your brakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Basically it makes your brakes work properly so that you dont go around breaking speed limits. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

Thanks dingdong for an informative response.

nuttzy, as your posts go - that was nearly informative, but not quite. We can still be friends...I won't hold you past against you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Irrespective of what it does and how, it's a recall, so should be completed free of charge.

it's your brakes. You might need them urgently sometime and find they have taken a holiday. Failure to respond to the recall may leave you in a weak legal position if something nasty happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

What year etc was your celica?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

Mine's the '00 model.

Yep - it's free of charge so just gotta find a good time this week to take an afternoon off work and get it done......

Advertisement