Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV on the way out - need new one maybe?

Options
  • 01-11-2005 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Over the last couple of days my TV (29" Black Diamond, about 5yrs old) has black screened with a white line through the middle a few times - sound is OK and a turn off/back on fixes it. I'm thinking it's on the way out but I need to play around with the sky box/dvd/video cables etc to mke sure it's not just a connection issue but I don't think so....any thoughts?

Part 2 - if it is on the way out, it's probably not worth fixing???? So what can I get kinda cheap as a replacement. Did a trip around Harvey Norman, Soundstore today and nothing jumped out. Cash is kinda limited with Christmas not so far away but if I do need to change it I want something that will last and is still up to date. Any ideas....
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

Sorry to say but yourTV is on the blink it happened to me a while ago. I know it can be fixed but prob not worth it. I would go to power city if your close to have a look.I bought a BEKO 32" for my bedroom, prob to big but i didn't care and its great:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 PrettyKitty

Hey, why not try renting a TV for a while? There are some good companies about - Oconnors is a name that springs to mind but not sure if they are only in Galway.

You can get a state of the art TV for minimum cost, and if anything goes wrong with it you give it back and they replace it.

Otherwise you could buy a TV on HP. Interest rates aren't usually that good though.

Hope you get it sorted for Christmas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Best bargains seem to be the 28" widescreen CRT's. You see them for 299-499. Thats for a decent make like a Philips. Sony's are still quite expensive. The TFT's are stylish but the picture quality for TV is poor. DVD's look great though. A good cheap compromise would be something like a 100hz 28" Philips CRT. Places like Power City and similar seem to be clearing out all their old CRTs for TFT's. No point in buying a non widescreen anymore. Try to buy something with a few years warranty. Electronic goods seem to break a lot more often these days.

You can pick up some cheap deals on the for sale forum. But don't pay too much for a 2nd hand TV, its more likely to break. I had to get our Sony repaired twice last year. Cost about €80. If it breaks again it will be binned, and I'll buy something with a warranty.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The flatline on your TV is more than likely fixable, it's usually not too serious a problem. Maybe get an estimate from a local electrical shop?

Due to the amount of Philips I see failing, I'd say avoid them. Common faults are dodgy CRT's or failed processors.

Keeping price low, I'd recommend a Samsung 28" as they're quite cheap, and a great flatscreen TV for the price (around €429 or so). I'd have no hesitation recommending Panasonic either, though bit dearer, at 499eur (DID Electrical)

If cash is tight, maybe do as PrettyKitty suggests, and rent a TV for a while, at least until after Christmas.

I would say avoid the temptation of going for cheapo stuff, as it may let you down sooner than you'd like. Go the extra few quid for a brand name.

Advertisement