Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

get boards.ie on your i-mode phone + tv guide

• 01-11-2005 1:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd share this with imoders. Apologies if this is elementary....

I have found a great way to get Full website content (even forums: eg boards.ie) onto your basic NEC n343i i-mode phone by simply using Googles imode proxy server. It cuts out all images, tables and formatting making it quicker to load and no page too big messages..

www.google.ie/imode

Search for what you want.. the results are totally stripped down and you shouldn't receive the page too big error. Click on the link that you were looking for and then go to that page. Then save it for viewing later and rename the bookmark from the default Google to whatever the resulting page is.

Alternatively you can set up pages on the net by going to googles imode page and looking for what you want. Once you have the page up you need, email it to your o2 phone using plain text. It should pop into your phone straight away..open the mail and click on the link then once the page has loaded...save the bookmark and rename it.
    Below is a TV guide example including Irish terresterial channels. You can even keep track of the boards.ie by googling (via imode) boards.ie+archive (best to do this on a desktop) select the correct link and then furthur open the link to your applicable forum.. Email this address to your phone....open it and there it is.. Pretty neat. You can't post obviously but its a great way to keep track of something you are selling or bidding on in the for sale sections.

Copy and email this link to your o2imail account (send plain text format only as the o2mail format is plain text only)
    Once the mail is on your phone..open it and click the link...

http://wmlproxy.google.com/chtmltrans/p=i/q=dublin.eu.org//s=0/h=en/i=UTF-8/d=3/g=@26site@3Dsearch@26hl@3Den@26lr@3D@26mrestrict@3Dchtml/u=http@3A@2F@2Feire.ie.eu.org@2Fpalm@2Ftvguide@2Findex.htm/c=0

This tvguide is one that was formatted for palm pilots and was originally scripted by Vincent Landi. However it wouldn't fit on the NEC343i's screen as it kept side scrolling as it is formatted for the palms wider screen. It also gave page too big errors. The google proxy via the above link gets rid of these problems.
    If you don't care about the Irish TV channels check out the bleb.org site. They have a great wap version of the tv guide which is also auto generated from scripts and works great (fast) on the i-mode phones.
    Direct link is here: www.bleb.org/waptv Highly recommended.

Let me know if this works for you all.
    Q.

PS: check out pdaportal.com for some nice links suitable for the i-mode phone.
    Once again these are palm pilot friendly sites but most of them work grand on the NEC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

meh, cant get it to work proper fro boards, i just use the o2imail address for stuff. not to pushed about getting forums on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Thats weird. Its working great for me for tracking all sorts of forums and blogs etc. Anything put thru the proxy (google) will be perfectly rendered for the phone..albeit very basically. No tables, images etc.
    Put in www.google.ie/imode on desktop then search for boards.ie+archive.

That should bring you to the boards archive (PDA friendly) pages.

Open the link and then go thru the boards pages to find the forum or post you want to track and once there copy / paste the address into hotmail / outlook and email it (in plain text format) to your o2imail account.

Once received on your phone, open it and simply click the link.

Once the page has loaded bookmark it and rename it. (Its default bookmark name will be google).

Hope this helps. If you don't wish to track forums obviously change the parameterrs of the search. The method is the same for any other site.

The tv guide at bleb is fantastic. The programmer from the Iish one is working on an imode friendly Irish TV / Radio guide at the moment.

Q.

Advertisement