Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listings of races

Options
  • 01-11-2005 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I'm not in an athletics club and am running for general fitness only, not to be especially competitive. Now before y'all kick me off this board.... :rolleyes:

How do I go about finding races/runs that are open to all? Is there a website I'm not aware of that lists events? I mean I know the Dublin City Marathon is held on October Bank Holiday Monday, and the Women's Mini Marathon is in June. I also know that there is a Connemara half marathon, that Adidas held a 5 mile, 10 mile, HM series....

What I'd like though is to be able to see that there's (say) a 10k in February or a Christmas day 5k event so that I can motivate myself. If anyone knows of such a listing, or alternatively if you want to post up brief details (name of race, distance, month or date if known), that'd be great too.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bmurphy8177

AFAIK there is a 5mile or 5k race held in the Phoenix Park on New Years Day each year. I dont know who the organisers are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Marathon_Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jaggers

There's a 5K run on Sunday 4th December 2005 Phoenix Park, Dublin at 11am
    Entry Fee: €10

see www.donoreharriers.com for an entry form.

It's called the Jingle Bells Run so hopefully it will welcome non-club runners like ourselves. I have not run it before but thinking of doing it this year as a fitness boost before the big Christmas.

There's always the Goal Mile on Christmas Day. Should be one organised in most regions around the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

Thanks guys. By coincidence I came across the Jingle Bells 5k since posting my question and I think I might enter that. The BHAA site is excellent too.

I guess my timing is not great - I get interested in running in a race just as winter descends... of course the other way of looking at it is that it gives me time to really build up a good aerobic base before spring.

Anyone has other events they know of over the next few months, feel free to post em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

The Irish Runner magazine is the best source for listings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

The Raheny 5 Mile is always a good day out. It is either the last sunday in January, or first sunday in February. Usually attracts one of the biggest fields of the year (approx 800 runners).

Jingle Bells is a great race. I ran it last year and though it was good fun, and the course is nice (watch out for the uphill at the end though)

Would also recommend the goal miles. If you are near Raheny, Raheny Shamrocks does its on version at 11am. It is a one start event and runs the length of the avenue from Sybil Hill. (unlike the other events where there are several starts). It is great Craic...builds up a great appetite for the Turkey.

Apart from that, the BHAA is your best bet.

Good Luck and happy running in 2006!!!!

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to do the Jingle Bells. Was wondering what the course is, I've been running in the Park a bit but not so much on the hills.

I'll keep an eye out for the Raheny 5 mile too, sounds great. I'm away for Christmas so I'm going to miss the Goal mile, but ya can't have it all!

I might have to start getting Irish Runner too like the poster before suggested!

Last year the start was just before the carpark on Upper Glen Road. (The grass car park when people park when flying there remote airplanes). Then along to the Furze Road, out to the avenue, then along Ordinance Survey Road. Down Knockmoroon Road and back up along lower Glen road till it meats Upper Glen Road, finishing about 200meters along Upper Glen Road.

Hope this makes sense.

Copy the link below and paste into your browser.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?centerX=-6.346460580825806&centerY=53.35238929284107&zl=0&fl=h-m-h-0-1&polyline=a%7DsdIp%7Bve@O%60B%5DvAu@dAaA%60@%7BAOqBo@aCIiBt@kAtBu@v@e@WmByEe@mJcAqJaAyJgAyJwAwJeBoJaBaLaB_Mi@%7BD%7DCxJ%7DCxJ_DvJ%7DCxJiAnDpCxFxC%7CExC%60FzChEz@hAjBnAlClA%60DlAjA%7C@tB%7ED%60B%7EC%5BjDy@zCGnCz@pCpA%60EfBbGdAbCv@o@bAYv@kAjB_ChBgBdBoC%3FoCs@yAsBeBDyBjBRp@T%7E@%5DlCoA%7C@%5DbBuEfCsF%7CAaB%7EA_Bp@q@

Thanks Domer, that's just excellent. I love running in the Park, but so far I have been doing a bit of running on the north road & chesterfield ave, i.e. avoiding the hills! Looks like I need to try this course out once or twice to get a feel for it.

Domer wrote:
    Last year the start was just before the carpark on Upper Glen Road. (The grass car park when people park when flying there remote airplanes). Then along to the Furze Road, out to the avenue, then along Ordinance Survey Road. Down Knockmoroon Road and back up along lower Glen road till it meats Upper Glen Road, finishing about 200meters along Upper Glen Road.

Hope this makes sense.

Copy the link below and paste into your browser.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?centerX=-6.346460580825806&centerY=53.35238929284107&zl=0&fl=h-m-h-0-1&polyline=a%7DsdIp%7Bve@O%60B%5DvAu@dAaA%60@%7BAOqBo@aCIiBt@kAtBu@v@e@WmByEe@mJcAqJaAyJgAyJwAwJeBoJaBaLaB_Mi@%7BD%7DCxJ%7DCxJ_DvJ%7DCxJiAnDpCxFxC%7CExC%60FzChEz@hAjBnAlClA%60DlAjA%7C@tB%7ED%60B%7EC%5BjDy@zCGnCz@pCpA%60EfBbGdAbCv@o@bAYv@kAjB_ChBgBdBoC%3FoCs@yAsBeBDyBjBRp@T%7E@%5DlCoA%7C@%5DbBuEfCsF%7CAaB%7EA_Bp@q@

You say you run in the park, do you run in the evening time? I am finding it very had to find somewhere nice to run since the evenings have gotten longer. The only place you can run in the park that is lit well is along the avenue, and that can get a bit boring (a may not be too safe!). I hate running in traffic and on main roads, but I dont see an alternative.

Have you any well lit routes you can recommend?

• Advertisement

>>do you run in the evening time?
    I have done, but more in daytime. I ran one night this week in the loop around North Rd and the Avenue, but yes, a lot of it was pretty dark, and prob not too safe, though I think the rain helped keep the dodgy characters away!

>>Have you any well lit routes you can recommend?
    Nope, from looking around the park I don't think anywhere other than the main avenue is well lit (other than small areas like around Garda HQ). And I agree that the long run along the avenue is pretty tedious...

Advertisement