Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ode to my CD

Options
  • 01-11-2005 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I want to start a thread to remember all CD's lost in life, through unfortunate scratches to the w*nkers that steal them at partys.

For today I would like to remember the three copies of Radio Head - THe Bends that have disapeared from my posession over the years. Please add yours.............................

RIP Radiohead - The bends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

It's not lost but my copy of OK Computer is geting steadily worse over time. It began with just one but now about four or five songs on the cd wont play :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Coldplay - Parachutes
    My sister borrowed it and it disappeared. Goddammit.

The Beach OST
    Rubbish film, fantastic soundtrack. I miss this one the most tbh, mainly for Sugar Ray's version of Spinning Away. Great track.:(

Lots of others I can't think of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Alanis Moirsette - Jagged Little Pill, deceased on the way home from France.

Matchbox 20 - Yourself or Someone Like You, lent to a friend, never returned.

Jerry Fish & the Mudbug Club - Be Yourself, in someone's car, somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Tool's Undertow suffered much scratching after lending it to a friend. Much much scratching. Now I don't lend CDs to anyone unless I know they're going to take care of them. And luckily I've Undertow on vinyl too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Strange, I also lost two copies of The Bends (three if you count the backup on my HD that got wiped). Radiohead conspiracy?
    Worse was a compilation tape from a friend that got chewed up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I also lost a copy of OK Computer! A friend gave me one of his later that same day (he had many for some strange reason).

Definite Radiohead conspiracy btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

My sister lost a copy of The Bends as well, then turned up at my flat and tried to take my copy, insisting that I'd stolen it from her.

Fortunately, I had anticipated this eventuality, and was able to proffer a receipt for it. Anal or what?:o

But yeah, definite Radiohead conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I have a Radiohead CD that is also arsing up! :(
    Moulin Rouge OST never really worked and only like one or two songs but still, can't remember more,I have old cassettes that are getting progressivly worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Whats a cd ? is it like an mp3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Alicia Keys - Fallin'

Just completely lost it and it was never found.. How I miss it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Tusky wrote:
    Whats a cd ? is it like an mp3 ?

Not in the slightest. For example if you kicked an mp3 file around your bedroom for 10 minutes it would soon lose it sound quality. However CD's are impervious to this kind of wear and tear and are guarenteed to last forever.

Ask TomorrowsWorld if you don't belive me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Travis - The Man Who

This CD was a phantom for me. Bought it back in the day and didnt even get to hear it. I lost it before I got to listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

besty wrote:
    Travis - The Man Who

This CD was a phantom for me. Bought it back in the day and didnt even get to hear it. I lost it before I got to listen

Your better off. Elevator music

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

a 3% shift in the earths magnetic field could wipe every single bit of digitally stored information away forever [mp3s included, obviously]

cd's have a shelflife of 15 years MAXIMUM if they dont get scratched or left out in the sun.

cd's can mess up your computer

cd's scratch in the blink of an eye, and not in an "ooh, warm crackles, how OLD SCHOOL and charming" kind of way, but in a horrible "missing ones and zero's glitchy noise" kind of way

vinyl has built in copy protection. the only way to copy onto vinyl of the same standard as the original [acetate copies only have a limited shelf life] is to press up 1000 copies and flog 999 in order to get one perfect copy.... its less hassle just to buy the bloody thing first time around.

the ONLY disadvantage about vinyl is that it's really heavy and bad for the environment [vinyl is made from oil]

---> back on topic, if i ever find the guy who now has my copy of dom and roland's "can't punish me" on moving shadow.... pray you're not that guy!

also, i daily shed tears for my copy of "airtight" by the funky technicians, th longest lushest intro in music history and there's a HUGE scrape that looks like a truck hit it for the whole lenght of the intro... :( ... at least the b-side is playable! really rare tune as well.... 4000 copies in 1994.... i found mine in a second hand place in Belgium in mint condition three or four years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

I too have a horrible scratched cd of the bends.
    try learning street spirit on guitar when it keeps skipping.
    thank god for trading mp3s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I had plenty of DVDs and videos not returned and over time you keep forgetting to whom you gave them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Actually I have all your CDs! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

RIP to my two radiohead - Pablo Honey CD's ( I still think my sister has one of them) and to two copies of The Offspring - Smash. To Dookie by Greenday, I did not mean to step on you, sniff, to my forest gump soundtrack that dissapeared at a house party, blubber, to my U2 Best of album, I'll get the bitch back on your behalf and to the 30 CD's that ****er that still lives in oz stole from me. I miss ye all.

Oh and to the hologramed copy of XP that my mother threw in the fire cause she though it was screwed, you deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I had plenty of DVDs and videos not returned and over time you keep forgetting to whom you gave them in the first place.

I have a friend who has a lot of DVD's and whenever someone wants to borrow one, she actually makes them sign out for it... like writing their name and which one they have, so she can keep track. Smart idea... :D

I hate it when someone borrows a CD and then returns it all scratched up. My Avalon "A Maze of Grace" CD has never been the same since my "friend" borrowed it. :rolleyes:

If someone wants to hear an album I own they either listen to it in my house or else gives me blank CDs and I copy it for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

I've had 2 copies of The Bloodhound Gang - Horray for Boobies stolen at parties. I've just lost my third, but I'm clinging to the vague hope that it might turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

nobody gets a loan of a cd or dvd from me. like John 2 they can give me a blank cd or dvd instead

there must be something with Radiohead cd's. my Ok Computer isnt in the best health either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

This is my truth... by the Manics stolen by scumbag mates of a wanker ex-flatmate.

and an indie compilation called Precious circa 1993 borrowed and never returned by some twat.

Just this weekend my friends gave me money because they knackered The Bends and Happy Mondays greatest hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

joejoem wrote:
    I want to start a thread to remember all CD's lost in life, through unfortunate scratches to the w*nkers that steal them at partys.

Very sad so many dearly departed. Tut tut.

But has anybody here tried to replace these missing cd's? I mean you don't own the only copy on Earth, go buy another or better yet download it: http://allofmp3.com

CD's are going the way of the record. Digital (mp3/wma/ogg) is the way forward. I hardly ever buy cd's anymore I download. In fact I'm thinking of selling my cd's when finished ripping them.

Radiohead CD's: http://music.allofmp3.com/mp3/Radiohead/group_954/albref_25/mcatalog.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

I gave away all my KISS and Adam & the Ants LP's many many years ago. I rue the day, I rue the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

jaqian wrote:
    But has anybody here tried to replace these missing cd's? I mean you don't own the only copy on Earth, go buy another or better yet download it: http://allofmp3.com
    Don't you think that's occured to anyone?
    Most people (I know I certainly can't) can't afford to just go out and buy brand new copies of CDs that have gone missing, and donwloaded versions just aren't the same as owning the actual album (it's a material thing).

Let us mourn :p

jaqian wrote:
    CD's are going the way of the record. Digital (mp3/wma/ogg) is the way forward. I hardly ever buy cd's anymore I download. In fact I'm thinking of selling my cd's when finished ripping them.

CDs are going the way of the record? So the only people who'll buy CDs in a few years will be the few people who enjoy high quality non-compressed music? I can just imagine the discussions in the pub:

"Back in my day, we had sleeves for the discs."
    "Discs?"
    "Yeah, shiny silver things with artwork and all."
    "All I've got is a folder icon and none of the correct tracknames."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

jaqian wrote:
    Very sad so many dearly departed. Tut tut.

Radiohead CD's: http://music.allofmp3.com/mp3/Radiohead/group_954/albref_25/mcatalog.shtml
    such a pointless post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Rip my beloved Whitney Houston cd...don't laugh, I almost had the songs off...it fell, box broke, and made its way under the path of little brother. Nuff said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement