Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future games and how we will be left FAR behind

Options
  • 21-09-2001 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

It's no news to anyone here that we need flatrate and unmetered data communications, as was possible in the 80s.

But I am now even more pissed off because I've been reading up on the latest games that are due out soon. The MMORPG is just getting bigger and bigger ever 6 months.

Basically we missed out totally even 2 years ago with stuff like Ultima Online, then there is the likes of Asheron's Call, Everquest, etc., . Now you pay for those with flat monthly subs.....but to really use them you need to not also pay on top of the £40 for the game and £10 sub, a per second (my ass) billing.

And soon, there will be more games that we will miss out on, like Star Wars: Galaxies and Neocron.

Most of you will have heard of Majestic in the US, a sort of real-life meets computer-game. That was totally ruled out here because of the nature of Eircom's ass-**** charging methods.

Imagine if Ireland, a small country, a FRIACO and ADSL for reasonable cost. You could setup the mother of all online games, Ireland could host loads of developers testing out MMORPGs, such as future versions of Majestic. If there is one thing holding Ireland back now on all fronts it is lack of competitive communications.

And by competitive I don't mean in Ireland......this is the 21st century, and a company can just as easily setup in UK, Germany, wherever. Ireland's brief moment in the spotlight might be very brief indeed. Fujitsu are the latest to shut down I read today.

Still, an Irish version of Majestic would be sweet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

yawn..so many thread on all the same bullsh|t, almost spam.

dont get me wrong, im with you man, but its game over.:)

heh Bard why not make sub dirs within the forum?

FRIACO
    DSL
    Eircom Hatred
    How to Bankrupt Eircom
    etc
    etc.

peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I think you forgot....

-When is the Local Loop goin to be unbundled ??
    -Lets set up our own WAN or DSL Service
    -Why doesn't the ODTR do this etc. (she has no bloody powers-thats why!)

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by chernobyl
    yawn..so many thread on all the same bullsh|t, almost spam.

dont get me wrong, im with you man, but its game over.:)

heh Bard why not make sub dirs within the forum?

FRIACO
    DSL
    Eircom Hatred
    How to Bankrupt Eircom
    etc
    etc.

peace.

There would be too much cross posting: I mean, how can you NOT talk about FRIACO and Eircom in the same sentence :D

I don't think we need sub dirs yet. There are only a couple of current threads on most things and ADSL is only popular because just when you think it couldn't get any worse it does. We don't want to end up with several ghost forums and all the talk still in the main one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ru1nzx

Oh stop moaning, We all want cheap unmetred unlimited 24/7 access but it aint gunna happen anytime soon.. and ill bet 20 quid there wont be anything decent available nationwide by easter 2002

Advertisement