Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joanna Newson

• 01-11-2005 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of Joanna Newson? I discovered her c.d. a couple of weeks ago and have been addicted ever since, her voice and her music are enchanting!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bip

yup yup yup shes brilliant, especially the song "Peach Plum Pear"... has to be one of the best feel good songs ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I really like the album but I don't think her music has the longevity of the other "new weird" folkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

who are the others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Amazing stuff... 'The Book of Right-On' is sensational stuff... She's an odd girl for sure, plays the harp straight upright in her seat and eyes wide open... scary

ThatBloke wrote:
    who are the others?

Devendra Banhart, Antony and the Johnsons, Vetiver, Jana Hunter, Noah Georgeson, Mi and L'au, Baby Dee, Current 93 from the last ten years, Michael Gira's recent solo stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

John2 wrote:
    Devendra Banhart, Antony and the Johnsons, Vetiver, Jana Hunter, Noah Georgeson, Mi and L'au, Baby Dee, Current 93 from the last ten years, Michael Gira's recent solo stuff.
    Heard of the first two, I'll get on to the rest, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I saw her on Jools Holland last new year's eve and was spellbound. That was "The book of right on"; fantastic song, so erratic and charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Saw her at the Sugar Club last year. Fantastic stuff, brilliant rhythms on some of the tunes with just the harp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Horrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yeah, Mi and 'Lau are fantastic. Saw them in the Boom Boom Room recently before Josephine Foster who pissed me off 'cos she kept singing about goblets. SO 1375.

• Advertisement

DadaKopf wrote:
    Yeah, Mi and 'Lau are fantastic. Saw them in the Boom Boom Room recently before Josephine Foster who pissed me off 'cos she kept singing about goblets. SO 1375.

I only found out they were playing the day after. Looking forward to getting my greasy mits on their new album. What I've heard so far is really good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

only recently found out about her... and i love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Joanna Newsom has a new album on the way in the next couple of months, if anyone's interested.. apparently it's not just voice and harp this time, there are accompanying arrangements being done by Van Dyke Parks. She played all of her new material at a show a few weeks back, there's going to be just five songs on the new record but each of them is between eight and fifteen minutes long (!).. Her voice has changed a bit as well, from hearing some recent live recordings, it's less girlish and piercing now and she seems to have more control over it. I'm looking forward to the new record anyway. I disagree with the comment earlier on this thread that her music lacks longetivity, I think that her first album will be seen as something of a classic (or a cult classic, at least) in a few years.

I disagree with the comment earlier on this thread that her music lacks longetivity, I think that her first album will be seen as something of a classic (or a cult classic, at least) in a few years.

Well after I wrote that, I forgot about the album. Then a few weeks ago I started listening to it again and frankly I disagree with what I wrote too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

You can see her playing a few tunes on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A3212740

Advertisement