Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to set up Broadband over several computers.

• 01-11-2005 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I have a small network running at home, three computers running though a hub but only dial up. Two of the computers are standard machines, the other is a file server/proxy machine that sits under the stairs, has no monitor or keyboard and is always on. Obviously To access the internet I have dial on demand for the two main machines.

For the first time ever I have the opportunity to go to DSL, and I’m not sure exactly how exactly to set it up.

I assume a router is designed to take the connection and split it between several computers, if this is the case which device gets the ISP assigned IP, the router or a PC? Or do those every device automatically get assigned an IP on connection?

Or would something similar to what I have, already be better?

Or am I on the wrong track completely here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

I'm on BT BB and the modem/router they supply has 4 spare ethernet ports on the back for sharing the connection. As far as I know, most residential packages do not offer fixed IP's. Based on this, I think the IP address gets assigned to the router each time it's powered on (?). The connection is then shared through the router to each machine.

I assume you would have your router connected to your server under the stairs. A wireless connection to your other 2 machines may then an option? Or not.

Not an expert so you may get more acurate info posted soon!

Hope this helps for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I assume you would have your router connected to your server under the stairs. A wireless connection to your other 2 machines may then an option? .

Yeah that was the intention...

I prefer to manually set the IPs for any machines on a network, ie 192.168.0.x etc..., and I tell my main machines to look to the proxy computer for their internet connection ie. what IP to route through.

If the router is the first call of port for these machines how would I insure that they are looking for the right IP all the time. Or is is easier to still use the proxy and route all connections to the outside world through it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The router gets the IP supplied by the ISP (Usually dynamically). Each computer connected to the router then gets an internal IP (Somthing like 192.168.0.x) issued by the DHCP server on the router.

If you want each computer in your network to have an internal static IP (in the 192.168.0.x or whatever range supported by the router) then you can also do this, well most routers can. You simply set the IP and subnet mask on each machine, say 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 and then tell the routers DHCP server to only issue dynamic IP addresses starting from 192.168.0.20 and above. This way your computers will keep an internal static IP, while any new computers you attach temporarily will get a dynamic IP.

This might sound complicated but it is actually much easier to setup then what you currently have. You could keep your proxy type setup if you wanted, it would be handy if you wanted to use the gateway as an advanced firewall machine (most routers have at least a basic firewall) or if you want to do badnwidth management stuff, but otherwise it isn't worth the hassle.

BTW if you also want an external static IP address, many routers support automatic update of Dynamic DNS services like www.dydns.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

excellent.... I will do that then thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you study, you can setup a static router on NT, Win2K and XP. But a Firewall / proxy or NAT program is simpler.

Use two network interfaces, one for LAN and one for Internet and Netbios / Microsoft client should NOT be "bound" EVER to any dialup, USB, Ethernet or Wireless LAN port connected to Internet. By default on Windows it is "enabled". Why Win2K or XP didn't change the default I don't know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement