Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help - PS2

Options
  • 01-11-2005 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Hiya guys,
    Sorry if this is in wrong forum.
    My boyfriend has been hinting about wanting a PS2 for Xmas this year.
    I don't know anything about these things so just looking for a bit of advice.
    Where would you recommend buying these things? On the net or in a shop like Game? Do they come with controllers/memory cards etc, or do I have to buy them seperately?
    Does it just connect up to his tv or does it need to be connected to the internet too? I want to spend about 200e ish in all and want to have it all ready to go for him, not find that the stuff I've bought isn't enough.
    I suppose I'll get him a game too, one of those sports ones. Is it a good idea to buy a console/game combo or are the games you get with that the older, crappier ones?
    Would appreciate suggestions!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You can pick one on in any of the games shops like Game, GameStop, Smyths or even Xtravison.
    If you buy it online then watch out for the year postal strike in the run up to christmas.
    Ask him what type of games is he interested in. Some of the bundle packs come with 2 two games, one of which is usualy crap.
    The PS2 comes with one controller. Memory cards are a separte purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

It doesn't need to be connected to the internet either to play. If you buy a slim line PS2 it comes with an internet port, unlike the original. You should ask him if he plans on playing it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Cool. He's not really that into gaming etc so we'll just need the basics and a few nice games.
    Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

the new slim ps2s with games etc should be well under 200 euro, no ?
    ps2, come with controller, it doesnt need the internet. You need to buy memory card sepratley

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

GAME: €159 for slimline black PS2
    €175 with an own-brand controller and 1 game (from set list... but it has Burnout Revenge \o/)
    €189 for Gran Turismo 4 pack

• Advertisement

Ooh, thanks r.k. That sounds good! That's almost cheaper than the net actually. I was thinking of something like FIFA 06?
    Will go into town tomorrow and investigate, don't want to leave it too late then find they're all sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

get burnout revenge pack and fifa 2005 or 2006 ,2005 about 25e preowned ,ie secondhand but gauranteed to work as good as new.make sure u get manual too if u r buying a preowned game. you can use the ps2 to watch dvds too,it connects into tv scart socket or front rgb inputs if your tv has them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pro Evolution Soccer is a better game than fifa. Pro Evo 5 is out at the moment. You should consider getting the Grand Theft Auto games. They are very varied so will have something for everybody. There isn't a person I know that doesn't like them. You can't really go wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Get a cheap 2nd hand game both of you can play , Soul Calibur 2 fighting game women seem to be really really good at kicking my ass in it......and im good :(

kdjac

Actually, for something you can both play... Super Monkey Ball Deluxe :) Incredibly cute, but great fun.
    If he wants a football game... has to be PES of course. Pro Evo 4 is about 20 euro secondhand, and Pro Evo 5 is just out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

get sc2 best 2 payer fighting game,get fifa 2005,its better for a beginner simpler to play ,proevo soccer is for the more demanding hardcore player,more realistic.fifa has all the teams and correct player names and licensing likenesses of players faces, etc,timesplitters 2 is a great 2 player fps shooting game like goldeneye.easy for beginner to play ,loadsa game modes and 2player maps .alot of women like soulcaliber2 cos theres 2player stages with a good mix of male or female characters with beautiful graphics and costumes.

Right, I ended up getting a slim black PS2, the GAA game, Pro Evolution Soccer 4, some motorbike game, and Tony Hawk skating game all for e190 which I was pretty pleased with. Especially since a different shop was doing the GAA game and the PS2 on their own for e190.
    I bought it in Game on Henry Street.
    He can buy the extra controller and memory card himself as I'm broke now! :)

Nice one :)
    That's probably the best deal GAME has on at the moment, and hopefully he'll like the games :)

Advertisement