Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV- Widescreen or Square Screen

Options
  • 01-11-2005 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

I am thinking about buying a new TV . When I went to the shops to take a look they all seem to be pushing the Widescreen TV. I presently have the old square type and am thinking about buying the same type again now .

The shop assistant tells me taht the square types are nearly obselete . They say all the new programs will be transmitted via widescreen format and that there will be black lines on the top and bottom of the screen because of this.

I think RTE transmitted some of the GAA matches in widescreen during the summer and I noticed the lines a little.

What concerns me is that these black lines seem to be on the Widesceen tvs anyway and given that i prefer the square type tv , Is buying a widescreen any real difference or advantage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You may want to try the Home Entertainment forum instead.

I don't know a huge amount about this, but some films have the black lines at the top and the bottom, but from what I can tell most widescreen tellies use all the screen to show normal programs.

One thing to remember is that the human eye sees more left to right, then it does up and down (think of the shape of the eye), therefore widescreen is more natural for us to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Given that you prefer to watch everything in 4:3 mode then you do not need a Widescreen TV. If, however, you watch DVD movies on your TV, I cannot understand why you do not have a Widescreen TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Bought a LCD widescreen TV myself a few months back and wondered the same thing at time of purchase. Have to say, it's a more comfortable viewing 'experience' and I'm glad I didn't buy a square TV.

If you have only get the terrestrial channels - over the airwaves - then it'll be broadcast in 14:9 compromise format (not proper widecreen), instead of 16:9 format. This compromise format will give black bars on both types of TV, unless you adjust it to 'stretch' the screen. The square TV screen is 4:3 format but, sooner or later, it'll all be in 16:9 (proper widescreen). AFAIK, cable and satellite TV are normally in 16:9 widescreen format.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't forget you can return your old tv to the shop for free when you get your new tv http://www.weeeireland.ie/ :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved from Consumer Issues

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It has become quite difficult to get a wide choice of 4:3 ratio TV's nowadays. Sony, JVC, etc no longer produce big 4:3 sets (Sony's biggest is 21").

I know Sanyo still make a 28" 4:3 and maybe Philips do also (or God forbid, a Goodmans/Alba/Bush/etc spurious brand).

So basically, widescreen has the biggest choice available now, so the technology is near pushed in your face whether you want it or not!

Advertisement