Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Has Windows Update Changed ?

• 01-11-2005 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭

I update my Xp once a month manually , last night I went to the windowsupdate site and got this msg
    The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
    Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)

Now , does this ,mean that I have to have auotmatic updates on to update ? and am I right in saying that this was not the case before ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check that the service is running - some tweakers turn it off.
    also check that a third party firewall isn't blocking it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This wouldn't be caused by a change on windowsupdate.com, more so a change to your system,
    Turning on the service in services should fix it per what Capt'n Midnight said :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

They did that quite a while back - restoring the mentioned services to 'Automatic' should sort it out - you don't actually have to use Automatic Updates though, just have the service turned on. And IIRC, it doesn't work if you just manually start the services (nice one, Bill :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭jonski

Turned the services back on and it works fine . I don't remember turning anything like that off but I may have done inadvertently while trying to make BF2 run a bit better . And yes , I was worried that I would have to leave automaticupdate turned on but as mentioned above this is not the case .

Thanks for the help people

John

Advertisement