Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help ASP guys

Options
  • 22-09-2001 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I'm brand new to ASP. I know all that HTML ****. i downloaded a message board that uses plenty of ASP files. it says to upload them to my Server and then to visit their URL's for my board. everytime i try the URL, i get a File Transfer box popping up on screen. do i need a special program to support ASP on my site?
    sorry but we all had to ask questions once.
    thats how we learn
    call me dumb whethever.
    just help
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

The server has to have support for ASP - email the company that owns the server you're on and ask them if they have ASP on that server, and if you can pay for it, you probably need to.

If it's a free hosting service such as geocities, you won't have ASP, end of story.

There's another thread somewhere here about decent hosting, have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

Is the server you are hosting your website on an NT or Windows 2000 box? You can't run asp on a regular unix box.

Alis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

get a unix box and go php nuke man..ready to run hot php code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 yngwie^

i'm using Freedom To Serve. www.f2s.com. here click on the signature to see my site. but i want a decent message board thats better than a ****ty Beseen board like the one i have now.
    thanks.

check out http://www.phpnuke.org/ ,fully automated installations and you would not even need to be php coder man yourself.
    ASP is more complex code man and you generally have to pay for ASP servers.

• Advertisement

what stuff should i download from www.phpnuke.org? there is so much **** and a PHP newbie really needs help.
    thanks
    Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Exactly, you will usually pay for ASP. Chillisoft do some kind of ASP thing for unix machines, but it ain't free. :P

As far as I know, F2S support php - do a quick test there, put this text into a file, save it as test.php, upload and try to view in your browser;

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

That ought to return a large page with plenty of info about the php install on that server. It's very useful, having all the variables and such in one place like that.

i just got a page of mess.

heres what i got from my host.

php_installed.jpg

do you have an "admin control panel" with your host?

well. when i say newbie. i mean newbie X 20000. i've only been into all this stuff for a few months. is the admin control panel gonna be in my upload gallery place?

• Advertisement

Phaxx, that code isnt working for me. when i try the URL to it, i get file download pop up and when i do that, and open it on my pc, it's a little mess of text. do i need some program for this?

well my host gave me a cp @ http://cp.chernobyl.eonboard.co.uk/

obviously username/password protected.
    but immediately i get
    Username ****
    Primary Domain Name chernobyl.eonboard.co.uk
    Account Type UNIX

And from there i can add mail forms/MySQL/SSI etc etc

okay. i've downloaded PHP Nuke. in the folder, i've got some more folders and then a few files with no program to open them in. what do i do with PHP Nuke?

Firstly yngwie^, its really cool your going the nuke direction.

Now i dont wanna sound short with you, but if you wanna learn there really is only one way [ie] to study.

phpnuke has lots of "how to?" documentation and if you were learning and using ASP then phpnuker should be a breeze.

well amn't i dumb.
    PHP Nuke is for Linux I've only just discovered. I'm using Window's ME. as this isn't my computer, i cant put Linux on. any ideas?
    Thanks
    Fionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Ammm it doesn't matter what type of pc you have seeing as you won't be hosting and running phpnuke locally. It only matters what OS your host is running. They usually have a big help page with all the relevant details you'll need just have a search around for it on your hosts home page.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭acidweb

I used to use f2s for some of my earlier work. They (www.users.f2s.com) seem to love using http://phorum.org/ . I suppose if you are just looking for a bulletin board this would be a good idea. If/When you get stuck, you can always post to their support forum, they're usually helpful :)

okay. i'm installing PHP into my PC first. i'm getting an SQL server and i got Phorum. this seems to be working.
    so thanks for the great help!!!!
    Fionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by yngwie^
    okay. i'm installing PHP into my PC first. i'm getting an SQL server and i got Phorum. this seems to be working.
    so thanks for the great help!!!!
    Fionn

SQL server? As logic1 pointed out what you have on your local machine is immaterial. What the host comes with is what matters.

Given you appear to be using f2s, you won't have SQL Server support. f2s will give you access to either MySQL or PostgreSQL instead.

If you're looking for free ASP hosting try Brinkster. However, the only DB support you'll get there is Access. SQL server costs a fair bit of money (£1,500 for a 5 cuncurrent connections licence - still a lot cheaper than Oracle), so you're unlikely to get it for free anywhere.

yeah well i've downloaded MySQL, PHP, and lots of that ****. i just want a message board!!!!! Phorums uses PHP and i'm having a go at setting it up. but this is quite complicated for a newbie.
    any ideas?
    cheers
    Fionn

• Advertisement

Originally posted by yngwie^
    i just want a message board!!!!! Phorums uses PHP and i'm having a go at setting it up.

I can give you a very simple one I wrote for ****.net if you want. It runs off ASP with messages stored as XML files.

I would write it myself, however, if I were you, for the experience.

Okay. i've uploaded all my files for my Phorum. when i type in the URL, i get this below messages. what files do i need to edit to sort this out?
    www.mcmullet.f2s.com/forums/index.php

It can't find your SSI (i.e. a server side 404, as it were). It's looking for it at:

http://www.mcmullet.f2s.com/forums/common.php

Give it a correct reletive path.

i'm having all sorts of **** from it now. i dont know what directories to put certain files in. i dont know which files should be in the /Forumfiles or /Adminfiles directories.
    this isnt good for a newbies mind.
    hehe

Advertisement