Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Carolina?!

Options
  • 01-11-2005 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

Me and and my mates are planning to go do the J1 in the US next year and NC was one suggestion. I hear the beaches are good but i dont know much else!

Obviously im doing some digging on the net but i wanted to get some first hand information.

so has anyone been here? Basically i want to know what everything is like, e.g, prices, weather, nightlife, jobs, accomadation and cheap flights etc!

any info would be much appreciated!!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I have not been to North Carolina... but went on a J1 to NYC in 2001 for the summer. Great to be in the city and see upstate NY which has some great national parks (Bear Mountain).

Why don't you go to either NY, Chicago, or California?... what is the attraction of North Carolina?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

thats exactly what i asked my mates! I want to go to San Diego but my mates have heard good things about NC so i thought id try to hear some good things too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Where in NC were you thinking of? The Beach resorts down there would probably be pretty good. Some of the larger cities (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) I have been to are reasonably cool, but nothing amazing. And I'd suspect the night life dies there when the students all go home for the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭RyanfromNJ

I used to live in Kure Beach, NC... it was absolutely beautiful... that's in New Hanover County, southeastern NC... about 80 miles north of Myrtle Beach... pretty inexpensive... night life is wonderful in Wilmington(which is the capital of the county)... I would definitely recommend New Hanover County... I miss it there so much, and don't know why I moved back north... someday though, I'll move back to NC though.... Good luck... feel free to PM me with any additional questions...

Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mixthetricks

Raleigh is the capital city of NC mate ;) Thinking of going there for a J1 Summer too...hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

I live in NC and love it. I live in Charlotte which is bigger than Raleigh although Raleigh is the state capital. The beaches in NC are gorgeous and it is cheaper than the west coast .We had the choice to live in CA but chose the east side, the lifestyle is as good only cheaper and tons of Irish here too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

NC in Summer is 100F and 100% humidity - be prepared to sweat. Charlotte is a pretty town but I hated the heat...I'll take 115F in the desert over that any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

MadsL wrote: »
    NC in Summer is 100F and 100% humidity - be prepared to sweat.

Not in Asheville.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

MadsL wrote: »
    NC in Summer is 100F and 100% humidity - be prepared to sweat. Charlotte is a pretty town but I hated the heat...I'll take 115F in the desert over that any day!

We have had 85F already in March/April but I still chose it over the -15C winters with snow that we had in Ireland;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Aprilmay wrote: »
    We have had 85F already in March/April but I still chose it over the -15C winters with snow that we had in Ireland;)

Pffft! 109F on my trucks thermometer a week ago! Then the other day, 3" of snow! Gotta love high desert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement