Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching Disabled? - Part 2

Options
  • 01-11-2005 2:07pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, since my last thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=318430

about searching being disabled was locked before I got an explanation.. can someone enlighten me.

In answer to whoever it was that asked where I was for oh the past two months... well its wasn't on this site, hence the question.

Are too many searches going on and causing the system to go slightly mad?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Long story cut short:
    A server or two died. Search was disabled to reduce the load on the remaining server(s).
    New hardware was ordered.

When new hardware arrived admins decided to upgrade vBulletin to 3.5 at the same time to take advantage of new improvements in the software.

Search re-enabled.

Some SQL queries were taking too long and causing stress on the new servers, search was disabled to reduce load whilst speed improvements were researched.

Improvements are being/have been implemented and search is still disabled whilst they are tested on the live system

Search will be back shortly

This is what I understand of the situation, anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks WizZard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

WizZard wrote:
    Long story cut short:
    A server or two died. Search was disabled to reduce the load on the remaining server(s).
    New hardware was ordered.

When new hardware arrived admins decided to upgrade vBulletin to 3.5 at the same time to take advantage of new improvements in the software.

Search re-enabled.

Some SQL queries were taking too long and causing stress on the new servers, search was disabled to reduce load whilst speed improvements were researched.

Improvements are being/have been implemented and search is still disabled whilst they are tested on the live system

Search will be back shortly

This is what I understand of the situation, anyway.

Good Samaritan of the day award 1/11/05

Advertisement