Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL instead of Eircom

• 01-11-2005 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

hey,

NTL are going to be rolling out broadband to my area this month and I was thinking of signing up. Just wanted to see if anyone has any reasons why this would be a mistake to make.

I am with Eircom at the moment but am not happy since they lowered the price for their new customers and not for their old customers.

NTL is 1Mb speed for 25euro. But I'm not too sure how fast the Eircom connection is. Anyone know. I'm on the basic package for 40euro a month.

I appreciate anyones advice
    Bnev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

I just got rid of eircom and got NTL broadband installed for similar reasons. The basic eircom package is €39 per month for 1Mb Download/ 128k Upload, where the basic with NTL is €25 per month 1Mb Download/ 100k Upload. I personally find it much better than eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Don't hesitate, switch to NTL immediately! you should get free installation, modem and three months free service.

1mb down/100k up €25
    2mb Down/200k up €35
    3mb Down/300k up €45

I've had the 2mb service for a while and it's perfect and can also be used for Xbox live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Incidentally, what area are you in?

/D2 and still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭bnev

In clondalkin, d.22.

Its not available here yet, but they said sometime within the month.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW NTL will give you the 3m/300k service free for the first 3 months and then you can downgrade to 1m. I've said it before, NTL are like drug dealers, they want to get you hooked on the good stuff so you won't go back :)

I moved from 2m/128k DSL to 3m/330k NTL and I couldn't be happier, it is much more stable with little or no downtime and very low pings.

Also NTL look after their customers, when they upped the speed of their products all customers got it including existing customers and they dropped thew price of the top package (now 3m) by €10 from €55 to €45 and again everyone got this.

Rumour has it that NTL are getting ready to up speeds again, something like 8m for the top package, I expect they will pass this onto their customers again unlike Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

When did Eircom not pass on speed increases to their customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

Go with NTL then you can use VOIP with blueface and tell eircom where to stick their line rental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

bnev wrote:
    In clondalkin, d.22.

Its not available here yet, but they said sometime within the month.

Where in Clondalkin ar ya bnev? Did they deffo say its gonna be available this month or was it the usual "It should be available soon..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

cal29 wrote:
    Go with NTL then you can use VOIP with blueface and tell eircom where to stick their line rental

Can you keep your existing number with that setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yes, Blueface will port the number for you if you want to.

• Advertisement

How much does that cost & is it an ongoing cost or a once off cost do you know? Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

skywalker wrote:
    How much does that cost & is it an ongoing cost or a once off cost do you know? Thanks

€15 per month for unlimited Ireland and UK local and national calls at anytime.

See www.blueface.ie for details.

You are also going to need to buy a piece of equipment called an analogue terminal adaptor, which will allow you to attach your phone to the Broadband. It might be a good idea to kill two birds with one stone and buy a wireless broadband router which has the RJ11 (telephone) ports and VoIP support builtin.

See these:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/Category.asp?CatID=141&l=2&PcatIDL1=20&PcatIDL2=20&CnL1=VoIP&CnL2=Broadband%20VoIP%20Routers
    for eaxmples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

bnev wrote:
    hey,

NTL are going to be rolling out broadband to my area this month and I was thinking of signing up. Just wanted to see if anyone has any reasons why this would be a mistake to make.

I am with Eircom at the moment but am not happy since they lowered the price for their new customers and not for their old customers.

NTL is 1Mb speed for 25euro. But I'm not too sure how fast the Eircom connection is. Anyone know. I'm on the basic package for 40euro a month.

I appreciate anyones advice
    Bnev

See attached 3 Meg snap.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Is there anyway to find out when NTL will upgrade your area? I rang them up during the summer and they said sometime during the winter but wouldn't offer anything better. I'm in Dublin 8, Portobello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

It might be a good idea to kill two birds with one stone and buy a wireless broadband router which has the RJ11 (telephone) ports and VoIP support builtin.

See these:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/Categ...VoIP%20Routers
    for eaxmples

Blueface also do the hardware which they configure for you.

bk wrote:
    €15 per month for unlimited Ireland and UK local and national calls at anytime.

See www.blueface.ie for details.

You are also going to need to buy a piece of equipment called an analogue terminal adaptor, which will allow you to attach your phone to the Broadband. It might be a good idea to kill two birds with one stone and buy a wireless broadband router which has the RJ11 (telephone) ports and VoIP support builtin.

See these:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/Category.asp?CatID=141&l=2&PcatIDL1=20&PcatIDL2=20&CnL1=VoIP&CnL2=Broadband%20VoIP%20Routers
    for eaxmples

Cheers for the info man, but I was asking in relation to number porting, is that a once off cost of a monthly cost? Also, would the ntl 2mb be good enough for voip or would you need the 3mb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 FlightRisker

Long time listener first time caller......

I've been looking into broadband packages latelty. Does th Cap on the ntl package not effect it a lot? The only capless on I can find is Irish Broadband but i can't use them as I owe them €500 (long story short they're incompatent fools).

ntl package looks great but I'm just worried about the cap..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Long time listener first time caller......

I've been looking into broadband packages latelty. Does th Cap on the ntl package not effect it a lot? The only capless on I can find is Irish Broadband but i can't use them as I owe them €500 (long story short they're incompatent fools).

ntl package looks great but I'm just worried about the cap..

I wouldn't worry about the cap. NTL don't charge for going over, they just MIGHT ask you to slow down a bit, but I think have have to be pretty much raping the bandwidth for that to happen.
    The 3Mb package has a 40GB download cap (unlimited upload) which equates to approx 1.33GB per day. I had a few days where I've downloaded over this and haven't had a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's interesting that Ntl ask you not to download over 1 GB a day yet offer a 40 GB cap.

They don't mind how much you download in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

skywalker wrote:
    Cheers for the info man, but I was asking in relation to number porting, is that a once off cost of a monthly cost? Also, would the ntl 2mb be good enough for voip or would you need the 3mb?

If you port to Blueface there is no charge. 2mb will be fine.

• Advertisement

Just rang up ntl & their not available in my area of Dub. :( ahh well. thanks for the info anyway lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 FlightRisker

Cheers for the info, will be placing order soooon

once i sort out those idiots at irish broadband

thanks!

Advertisement