Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 XDA2s with blackberry connect on Vodafone?

• 01-11-2005 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if it is posible to get BlackBerry enabled on a vodafone account without a vodafone supported blackberry device? I have been told by vodafone to go to an agent, who told me to go to vodafone... Ugh! i just want to know am i wasting my time trying this? I have the XDA2s with the latest T-Mobile software, with black berry connect on it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Ring vodafone on 1907 or better still 1850287000 to get their data team. Get blackberry provisioned on your account - just tell them you have a blackberry.

Go to mobileemail.vodafone.ie and follow it from there. The BB PIN and IMEI should be readable from the control panel of the XDA. You may need to define a BB connection on the XDA but try going ahead without it...

Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Hi Darragh.

Just rang there and their data team are not there. typical! 24/7 life, and they are there 9-5.30! hopefully i can get this fixed in the morning.

Thanks for the tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

Dude Ring O2 and it sorted today 1800 20 02 02

firstly, im a vodafone customer for the last 6 years and want to stay with vodafone, mainly because i want a 3G phone (imate jasjar) in the new year. Secondly, vodafone wont allow me to use the XDA because its 1) unsupported, 2) licensing issues (they have no license) and 3) even when i rang back and told them i have an XDA, when i gave them the IEME number, they told me there was a problem. :( looks like i wont be playing with blackberry. i will, how ever, be trying to get the exchange one working (active sync OTA works grand, but the instant email is not here yet).

they said they'd support third party blackberry products (Nokia communicators for example) on November 1st.

They must be playing hard ball.

O2 are actually quite a good network - while their customer care aren't as friendly, they know their stuff.

Darragh

• Advertisement

yea, i think i actually will be moving to O2. as long as there is no contract, i will be happy. the guy in the data team i was talking to said that they will be supporting Nokia Communicators, P910s and some other devices soon, but even then they cant support the XDA since they dont have a license for it. Ahh well, they loose a good customer by loosing me (6 year customer with a bill of 70EUR+ a month)...

i dont think anyone up there wants me to have blackberry support on my phone. i tried moving to O2 but because i failed the credit check 3 months ago (only in a new job for 3 days, previously working out of the country) they wont let me reapply! im actually thinking of getting my hands on the new Imate JasJar, which will have Microsoft's answer to BlackBerry (there are exchange servers where i work so it should be ok)

tough call lotas

The advantage of using blackberry is the flat rate cost of 25 euros per month regardless of data transferred.

Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

while their customer care aren't as friendly, they know their stuff.
    Are you serious? O2 Cust care is far nicer then Voda's. I have never had any problems with them, they are usualy straight forward and when they dont know something they dont know something, they dont just fob you off with an excuse.

Anyway, I switched to 3 and there customer care are very pleasent to deal with. They phoned me up out of the blue and asked me how I was finding the service. If I find a problem or an issue such as not being able to text UK nos. I just call them and tell them. They usualy tell me why something is not working and I feel that I get a straight answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

lotas wrote:
    i dont think anyone up there wants me to have blackberry support on my phone. i tried moving to O2 but because i failed the credit check 3 months ago (only in a new job for 3 days, previously working out of the country) they wont let me reapply! im actually thinking of getting my hands on the new Imate JasJar, which will have Microsoft's answer to BlackBerry (there are exchange servers where i work so it should be ok)

Heres a suggestion, don't know if it'll suit your situation:
    Would a Vodafone VPA Compact and their new Business email service not do the same thing ?

The VPA is Vodafone's PDA device .. similar to an XDA I guess, and their Business email service is an alternative to blackberry that pushes mail to the phone in a similar way to blackberry, the main difference being that the email client is web-browser based on your handset.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement

v10: the problems with the compact is just that. its compact. no keyboard, small screen, and a few other limits. i have the XDA2s, with the larger screen and the keybaord.
    darraghrogan: i know its a tough call, but if i cant get blackberry support, why keep trying? and who comes up with a stupid rule of no more then one credit check in 6 months? and another thing: why should i sign a 12 month contract with o2 if i am not getting a phone? why a credit check? i managed to move from vodafone R2G to bill with out a credit check and without a contract!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Blackberry devices are only support on the device network you buy them from, AFAIK it's to do with the actual log-in on the you use to set up the blackberry account.

gillo wrote:
    Blackberry devices are only support on the device network you buy them from, AFAIK it's to do with the actual log-in on the you use to set up the blackberry account.

I have a Nokia 9500 communicator with BB Connect. It was originally set up with O2 - www.o2mail.ie and works grand

I subsequently put a Vodafone sim into it, and it continued to work based on the o2mail.ie BB account.

I went to mobileemail.vodafone.ie and tried entering the pin and imei but it told me that they were already registered.

I suspect that once you have an account set up with BB in Europe it doesn't matter what network you use to connect as long as the BB APN is available to you.

Lotas - get BB put onto your account and try registering your details on o2mail.ie

Darragh

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I suspect that once you have an account set up with BB in Europe it doesn't matter what network you use to connect as long as the BB APN is available to you.

You're right here - at the end of the day all you need is a path from your device to srp.eu.blackberry.net . Blackberries are handy in that they are network agnostic. We have a BES installed by Vodafone but it happily supports O2 devices.

parsi wrote:
    You're right here - at the end of the day all you need is a path from your device to srp.eu.blackberry.net . Blackberries are handy in that they are network agnostic. We have a BES installed by Vodafone but it happily supports O2 devices.

So it wasn't a technical glitch at all!

Without asking too much about your own setup, do you know what other network services are available on the blackberry apn?

I tried connecting to it using my mobile on my laptop, and sure enough you can ping srp.eu.blackberry.net (I actually pinged 193.109.81.33 which I read from a service book entry) but do you know if theres a http gateway on that APN? The reason being that I currently amn't being charged for any BB traffic on my account, yet I still have access to the APN.

Darragh

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Don't know much about that (we're learning just by resolving problems or queries that come up) - we use the Mobile Data Service on our BES to connect to our proxy and thus provide web browsing to remote users. I know that if they don't use the Blackberry Browser they will be routed via WAP and thats chargeable. However the Blackberry Broswer (in our situation anyway) only works if MDS is enabled on the BES users account.

What way it works for people using BB Connect or whatever I don't know but I doubt that HTTP traffic would be served by blackberry.net itself (seeing as they have developed MDS etc).

parsi wrote:
    Don't know much about that (we're learning just by resolving problems or queries that come up) - we use the Mobile Data Service on our BES to connect to our proxy and thus provide web browsing to remote users. I know that if they don't use the Blackberry Browser they will be routed via WAP and thats chargeable. However the Blackberry Broswer (in our situation anyway) only works if MDS is enabled on the BES users account.

What way it works for people using BB Connect or whatever I don't know but I doubt that HTTP traffic would be served by blackberry.net itself (seeing as they have developed MDS etc).

Must read up on BES so - see if BIS has a proxy.

Darragh

Advertisement