Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Double Insurance?

Options
  • 01-11-2005 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Probably been asked before but can't find it:

If I have two cars and I'm the only one able to drive them - why do I need to pay for two insurance policies??????????

I can only drive one at a time!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

thelurcher wrote:
    Probably been asked before but can't find it:

If I have two cars and I'm the only one able to drive them - why do I need to pay for two insurance policies??????????

I can only drive one at a time!
    Some companys allow two cars on one policy but by and large you need a se[parate policy for each vehicle because they can make money this way!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

kbannon wrote:
    Some companys allow two cars on one policy but by and large you need a se[parate policy for each vehicle because they can make money this way!
    Could you tell me which one(s)? I'm looking to do this myself at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

you might be only able to drive one, but while your driving carX, CarY is sitting on a driveway somewhere at risk of being stolen .. hence you have to insure it.

True, whippet, but it's cheaper to pay for a car that's been stolen than damages to someone badly hurt in an accident, so why not have a policy at a premium reflecting this? Or why can't I apply my no-claims bonus to more than one policy, the logic being it applies to me, not the car I happen to be driving at any given time?

Of course, I'm going mad here in assuming that insurance companies compete to provide a service, rather than just collect money for a product the government kindly made compulsory. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

For the sake of it we'll say both are 3rd party only.

kbannon: I'd be interested in those companies too.

• Advertisement

blastman wrote:
    Could you tell me which one(s)? I'm looking to do this myself at the moment....
    I can't remember but I think a thread about this was done relatively recently

Can't find anything in the last 10 days or so, and nothing in the insurance sticky either. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

No search doesn't help, either. :(

blastman wrote:
    Can't find anything in the last 10 days or so, and nothing in the insurance sticky either. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

No search doesn't help, either. :(
    There was something!
    I searched the last 15 pages and then decided I should probably do some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

As far as I'm aware both Quinn direct (most policies) & Hibernian (fully comp policies only) allow a policy holder to drive a vehicle which doesn't have an additional/individual insurance policy attached to it.

Possibly, but that's in cases where you are not the owner of the other vehicle, I'd say. Plus you have no insurance disc displayed if you're stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

You need 2 policies. And you have to start the whole no claims thing again on the 2nd one.

I know that, what I'm after is an alternative to that, if one exists. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

There is no alternative.
    I have been down this road.

Grin and bear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

When I caused a scene in the foyer in the Q building I eventually got a call back from an underwriter in Quinn Direct who told me they don't insure a second car. He agreed that a car that is parked up is not a major risk and insuring the car was money for old rope but was adamant that at that stage they were not going to offer me cover on my second car; this was earlier this year and is their loss as I have 9 years NCB and am about as good a risk as is ever going to present himself at their door.

At present one of my cars, an Alfa 156 2.0, is insured with Highway soon to change to FBD at a very reasonable €400, while the other a Mini Cooper is insured with AXA with full NCB for about €550. I have fully disclosed that my NCB is in use on the Alfa but still have full NCB applied. At this stage I think I actually have 3 years NCB worked up on the Mini but initially I had none.

The AXA office in Blanch oiled the wheels initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What about a second person driving the other car (named driver or other).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I might be able to help here. I was insured on two cars at the same time with my own policies with Hibernian. Basically, I had a weekend car and a get me to work and around car (A Civic and an Accord). When I rang Hibernian they told me that I could take out a policy on the Accord (the current one was on the Civic) but no NCB would apply, as such I would be paying full whack. I explained the weekend - work car arrangement and they suggested that I move the prinicpal policy onto the Accord for work purposed and take out a new policy on the Civic (since I would be doing less than 10km pa on the Civic). For this they done some magic and applied two policies one to each car - €800 for the Accord and €1000 for the Civic with NCBs applied to both (don't know if full 50% discount was applied to the second car, I think it worked out like their Hibernian scheme or something) But this Seemed fine to me at the time.

It's all changed now and I've gone back to a one policy person, so I don't know if it still applies (but this was only 6 months ago)

BTW the above arrangement was only achieved after some serious pushing on my behalf!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

My 3yr NCB should be issued any day now so I can finally get away from the shower of wa***rs I'm with at the moment.
    Will just ring around and hope I get a good deal.

Keep us posted on how you get on insuring both cars, lurcher.

Advertisement