Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Recommedation - 4k

Options
  • 01-11-2005 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I was wondering if people could give me some recommended cars for this price range. I've been in Ireland about 3months from Australia, so its mildly daunting not knowing any of the background info on what the total costs are.

I've read the best places to go are either dealers selling the same brand second hand or private sales, if you know what you are doing. How do people come up with their prices? Ie, do most people crank there prices up by 10,20 or 100%?

Finally, to use the mechanics listed in Buy and Sell, do they come out with you or do you take the car to them?

Many thanks for help with this stuff... I'm looking forward to having transport but trying to avoid buying a lemon (and losing lots of euro!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi there.. well I am selling my Micra if you want to have a look. It's just passed the NCT and my neighbour who is interested in it just took it to a garage this morning and the mechanic said it's good car, not a bother with it (except the window problem of course, €50 to repair I'd say). The car would cost about €3.3K from a dealer and with that extra money you really only get 3 maybe 6 months warranty and after that it's as good as a private sale car but you would save yourself a few hundred going private.

What I did when attempting to buy a private car was have the seller drive it to me, to a mechanic in my town and I paid him €50 to check it. He checked it and there was a problem that could have cost me about €800 to fix. Now I wouldn't have had a clue about it and would have probably bought it as it was a very nice looking car but for the sake of €50 I saved myself getting into a lot of trouble.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As you are new to this country, make sure that your budget stretches to cover your insurance also.
    Have a look at www.carzone.ie to see some comparable dealer prices. Dealers will charge maybe 10% over the private sale price but often give a few months warranty.
    What size car are you after? Larger cars command more road tax (rates @ www.motortax.ie).
    In terms of small cars, you have the micra, punto, corsa, polo, fiesta, etc.

WRT mechanics travelling - ring them and see as some travel whilst others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi,

I was wondering if people could give me some recommended cars for this price range. I've been in Ireland about 3months from Australia, so its mildly daunting not knowing any of the background info on what the total costs are.

I've read the best places to go are either dealers selling the same brand second hand or private sales, if you know what you are doing. How do people come up with their prices? Ie, do most people crank there prices up by 10,20 or 100%?

Finally, to use the mechanics listed in Buy and Sell, do they come out with you or do you take the car to them?

Many thanks for help with this stuff... I'm looking forward to having transport but trying to avoid buying a lemon (and losing lots of euro!)

Before you buy any car check out the cost of insurance as this can be more expensive than the car.

Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in Europe to own and run a car so make sure you can afford to insure it before buying. Unfortunately in most cases when buying your first car here your choice is limited to what you can afford to insure rather than what car you want.

Best of luck.

Advertisement