Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting your hair chemically straightened?

• 01-11-2005 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Now I know it's very bad for my hair but seeing as I straighten it everyday (and there's no way I'll be stopping that anytime soon, yes I know it's very bad for it) I don't see how getting my hair chemically straightened can be that much worse. Anyone here ever had it done? If so how much does it cost, how long does it last and will I go bald? Thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I got it done in the Grafton Barbers(I'm a guy) for around €80 but I think most places like Toni&Guy, Peter Marks etc. charge around €140.
    It's important to get it done properly though because the chemicals can wreak havoc on your scalp.
    No, you won't go bald either.
    You could order the stuff from the net(i.e http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/page254.html ) if you've a friend whos trained or at least knows what they're doing but it'd be unwise to try doing it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Master...Card

Hi rb ie, your a guy, have you got short hair? I've heard that it can't be done on blonds cause whatever happens the straightening chemicals react with the peroxide in blond hair and it turns disastrous, is that mythical or what?:confused:

When I got it done(a few times) I had longish hair, but know a few guys who've had it done with short hair.
    Yeah basically
    if you have highlights or your hair is bleached, don't chemically straighten it cause it'll f*ck it up badly and
    if you chemically straighten your hair, don't get highlights or bleach it.Same reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Look up Japanese Hair Straightening. It is amazing. Rather expensive though but I'd say better than ironing your hair everyday. Stays straight till your roots grow. Ya could have the fuzziest hair going and once ya get this done you don't even have to blow dry your hair and it stay poker straight.

My friend got it done in America so I don't know how much it would cost here or where you can get it done.

There are a few threads on it in this forum. MAybe look them up when the search gets put back up.

Oh, if you do get it chemically straightened for the first while wash your hair in warm water only, not in hot water as it can dry out the scalp(which is something you don't need after having the chemicals put in) and use a really good conditioner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Thanks everyone :)

Oh and don't wash your hair for 24hours after getting it done.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i know a couple of girls who've got it done.

1 of my friends who's chinese got it done, and it worked perfectly. (the being chinese bit is relevent because apparently her hair suits the chemicals or something)

another girl i know, her sister got it done. the sisters hair was really thick so it took more of the chemical than normal to get it to straighten. so the hairdresser decided her hair would be the same and so used the same amount of chemical and totally messed up her hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

ROFL. Was contemplating it as it's gotta be somewhat neater than the current mess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Just invest in a good pair of GHD straightners and GHD Iron oil to protect your hair. Ive coarse frizzy wavy hair naturally, but its always silky smooth with the ghd's and its not one bit wrecked from them, actually its very smooth and shiny from using the oil. I know straightening is time consuming at times but id rather that then a load of chemicals put in my hair and drying the f**k outta it!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement