Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB lies or lazy?

• 01-11-2005 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

IBB do a BB wireless kit with external aerial.

They offered to survey here but 5 weeks later refused on basis of a site on far side of village failing LOS

I sent them a photo showing top four or five floors of Clarion clear from here. Then they said they don't do more than 5km. The other place they did survey was nearly 10km. I am about 8.4km.

Well my daughter lives about 100m from Clarion and ordered Ripwave, but got box sent here as they have no parcel delivery.

The instructions were for USB, but an Ethernet is supplied. I set my laptop to DHCP, plugged in ripwave box and set the dish part of an MMDS behind the ripwave box on the desk in bedroom. About 1m of fiddling and 60% or more quality.

Downloaded 2hrs (dialup) worth of MS patches in about 6min.

Are IBB lying or just to lazy to drive a second time 6km past edge of city?

No doubt the proper aerial feed product (breeze or ripwave?) on my chimney pole would give near perfet signal. From bedroom window the Clarion is obsucred by trees.

Eircom has a trigger level for aDSL that probabily exceeds the number of households in the village (subtract small shops etc).

Digiweb "encountered a problem... installations are temporally halted in Limerick".

I'm posting this via the borrowed ripwave. Should I just get someone in City close to Clarion to take a second account and stick the box in a plastic case on end of MMDS dish on my side wall or chimney?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sorry if this should be in BB forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Much of a muchness watty, but I've moved it from IoffL>Broadband where you're likely to get more responses.

.cg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote:
    I set my laptop to DHCP, plugged in ripwave box and set the dish part of an MMDS behind the ripwave box on the desk in bedroom. About 1m of fiddling and 60% or more quality.

Downloaded 2hrs (dialup) worth of MS patches in about 6min.

Are IBB lying or just to lazy to drive a second time 6km past edge of city?

No doubt the proper aerial feed product (breeze or ripwave?) on my chimney pole would give near perfect signal. From bedroom window the Clarion is obsucred by trees.

Watty

Are you telling us that you now accidentally have BB because you accidentally received a properly working Ripwave unit well out of the IBB Stated Ripwave Coverage area in Limerick .

We now have a miracle where a technology known for its inabilty to work when beside its base station is working fine some 4km further out ....from what I can see.

You had better let your daughter down gently I'd say :D

Well she DELIBERATLY got it posted here..

It looks a bit mad propped up on some books and diary to be at focus of MMDS dish that has the dipole/LNB unit removed (bare dish), propped against a monitor on desk.

I'm supposed to bring it to her tonight and setup her husbands PC.

She suggested se try getting a 2nd account & box :)

But really I want Digiweb as then I could ditch the Eircom line. She has no eircom line and could hit folks on Clarion with a good pea-shooter or catapult from her top floor balcony, so I imagine it will work for her.

Digweb have a "problem" but assure me they will install before end of year. Anyone know what the Limerick Metro problem is? Are they simply moving from Clarion to taller Riverpoint?

I might actually be 8.6km from Clarion IBB ripwave base station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

will it work if you get your name and account info on your daughters house and then you can get the ripwave, as it seems to work well where you are.

Im actually supprised it is working for you :D

• Advertisement

I ordered
    Breeze 2MB: Connection €149.00, monthly €40.00 unlimited download, 2MB/2MB speed, Contention ratio 24:1, one Static IP address.

On 26th June 2005

Took them till 15th July 2005 to confirm acceptance

many thanks for your order which we have received and are now processing for you. Within the next 3 weeks you should receive a call from our installations department to arrange a convenient date and time to carry out the installation for you.

If you require any further information or assistance in the mean time or any updates then please don’t hesitate to contact our customer support / Installation dept on 1890 564 456 or 01 481 8400 quoting Cust Ref No

Then on 5th September 2005

Many thanks for your email. I believe that you have spoken with some of my colleagues today, and I just wanted to verify once and for all that unfortunately we do not have coverage in Patrickswell in Co. Limerick.

I understand that you have LOS to the Clarion from your premises, however, you are at least 4km beyond our acceptable install distance, and therefore we are unable to install a connection to your premises.

The reason I know this is that we have had customers from Patrickswell who also placed orders with us since our service first went Live in Limerick, and they all had exactly the same result. You must be within a 5km radius of our High Site to receive our service, as we do not guarantee the connection beyond that, and therefore cannot install past 5km.

My apologies that you have experienced this delay in receiving this information, however, should you wish to look at the following website address, it lists alphabetically all the broadband suppliers in the country, where they are located, costs involved, etc. www.broadband.gov.ie

<name snipped edited on request of IBB>

BUT... They definately accepted my order AND surveyed the patrickswell Enterprise park (nearly 1km further away and no LOS).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

watty were in Limerick are you? Il tell you this i had brodband from
    them and it was the biggest load of crap and got it out after a few
    weeks "THANK GOD" im just waiting on digiweb to get metro, don
    know what the problem is but it got to do with the high site or so
    digiweb say!

Sparky_S wrote:
    will it work if you get your name and account info on your daughters house and then you can get the ripwave, as it seems to work well where you are.

Im actually supprised it is working for you :D

I don't suppose they ever supply a Ripwave with a modified Chorus MMDS dish aerial :)

Even without an external aerial, I'm sure it would work on Chimney with much better signal (no tree in way). A plastic box or bag to keep rain out, mount it at focus of the MMDS dish or even a Sky Mini dish :) and extend the DC power cable from attic. The Server in attic has a second LAN card and Wingate firewall/proxy...

ricey wrote:
    watty were in Limerick are you? Il tell you this i had brodband from
    them and it was the biggest load of crap and got it out after a few
    weeks "THANK GOD" im just waiting on digiweb to get metro, don
    know what the problem is but it got to do with the high site or so
    digiweb say!

Patrickswell, with CLEAR view of City, Tipperary and Clare.

Maybe they ARE moving from Clarion to Riverpoint and it not quite ready..

Patience..

Mind you I had "Internet" email in 1986 on "bitnet" via dialup to X25 PAD from Newmarket on fergus Co. Clare to Belfast, then via X.25 to BT Gold server in London with X.400, telex, fax (send only) and "bitnet" gateways. All at 300 baud.

I'd have thought I would be on BB long since.

Your best bet is to forget about them and be glad
    you dont have a LOS and wait for digiweb.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ricey wrote:

But Ricey , its working :D

ricey wrote:

But I do have LOS even at ground level. But IBB don't care because a place nearly 1km further failled LOS.

you should actually count yourself lucky that IBB dont want your custom, id say wait for metro, i have it and im amazed how good it is.

If you do get IBB in the end, i would lay down money* that you will be posting problems with it within 6 months

*please dont quote me on that :D

I waiting for Metro as I want rid of Eircom's overpriced copper.

I had no phone problems with Chorus Wireless till they lost licence and turned it off. It was better service and 1/2 the price line rental of Eircom.

watty wrote:
    I waiting for Metro as I want rid of Eircom's overpriced copper.

Thats the spirit :D

Sparky_S wrote:
    Thats the spirit :D

Well said Sparky!

i would have to say that digiweb put my faith back into wireless ISP's, (except IBB)

Advertisement