Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underrated TV

• 01-11-2005 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Theres a show on Paramount called Andy Richter Controls The Universe. Its absolutely brill! Its really unfair they dont show it until 2am. Its really really good cos its completely and utterly random. I tape it everynight. I just wanted to share that with everyone incase anyone else has seen the acid trip that is this programme. I think Im biased to like it though because Andy Richter was Conan's sidekick for about 9 years!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

sounds good :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Ive seen it
    its not bad
    but the most underated show of all time is House of Rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

TV3 used to carry it for a bit. Its good for a bit of a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Undeclared is an underrated show. Started watching the series again recently, got reminded of how good it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Andy Richter Controls The Universe: I agree! Also King of Queens, but only on this side of the atlantic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

two words arrested development most underrated show by public possibly ever

Brock wrote:
    two words arrested development most underrated show by public possibly ever

It's the best show on t.v. . People need to watch this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I will say it again

FREAKS AND GEEKS

Grounded for Life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Peep Show is the best show on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Elmo wrote:
    FREAKS AND GEEKS
    I didn't wanna say it.. as it was remarked before that whenever there's a discussion about underrated TV.. i'm always there shouting 'Freaks And Geeks' .. :D

Also, 'Undeclared' is excellent and extremely underrated!

Also, 'Undeclared' is excellent and extremely underrated!

I would like to see that serie in full I missed most of it the first time round.

But can you mention Undeclared and not mention Freaks and Geeks? I think not.

Elmo wrote:
    But can you mention Undeclared and not mention Freaks and Geeks? I think not.
    Very true! :D

Bought the Region 1 DVD of 'Undeclared' from Amazon.com on the day of it's release. It's an excellent DVD set - 4-discs with all 17 episodes, including an unaired episode and a bonus director's cut. 18 commentaries with directors, writers & cast, deleted scenes, auditions, outtakes, and extended takes, "Lloyd's Rage": an unproduced script for the second season that never was, Loudon Wainwright live concert footage, 90 minute Museum of Television & Radio Q&A session, 28-page booklet.

Highly recommended!

PS - excellent detailed review of the boxset here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

My fave programmes that noone recognises as the greatness they are.

with all of the attention crap like CSI gets (and the other gimmicky crime shows: cold case, numb3rs etc) the origianally Law&Order is almost ignored. finding a reliable cousin to send me them is next to impossible (due to my own circumstances... i cant be waiting 15/16 hours for the post). eps aired on RTE (after midnight :'( ) and Sky still have Briscoe in his last season. enjoy him while you still can!

Weeds isnt getting the attention i thought it would. best comedy on TV, atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭bush doctor

The PJ's - Eddie Murphy back to his best. Hilarious clay cartoon characters set in the projects, pity it was cancelled after a couple of seasons.

The Wire - by far the most realistic police/crime drama ever done imo. Not sure how many people are into it over here. It's on late on TG4 on Tuesdays I think. Season 4 out early next year in the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Oz was truely fantastic
    pity more people didnt get into it

and will they ever release the DVD's on region 2 :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Oz was truely fantastic
    pity more people didnt get into it

and will they ever release the DVD's on region 2 :mad: :mad:

Same with The Wire and Carnivale

Season 4 out early next year in the States.

I thought that season 3 was the final season of the Wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Anyone remember The Mitchell and Webb Situation or Bruiser?

If you like Peep Show you would have loved them... if only they'd get a DVD release....

I miss Outdoor Wee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Harry Hill's TV Burp
    bit of an acquired taste possibly but generally has me in hysterics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭bush doctor

Elmo wrote:
    I thought that season 3 was the final season of the Wire.

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/

Don't hold your breath for a release here though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

Forensic detectives and FBI files, they're on most nights one after the other at about 12 on discovery (i think they're on earlier aswell but i never catch it then).

They basically go thru the facts of a case and how it was solved but its done really well - better than CSI (and i do like CSI)

Nothing beats Law and Order though (the Briscoe & Green one that is) - pitty its only ever on with some guy in the way signing it!

edit: oh yeah, just saw someone mentioned King of Queens: I love that show, I've watched it for years but now it seems everyone else is catching on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Law and Order (The Original Series)
    Oz
    The Daily Show

all of the most underrated tv shows, being shown over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Off Centre.

Stars the guy who has sex with Stifler's mother in American Pie (2) and also Harold from Harold And Kumar (also the Chinese M.I.L.F. guy in American Pie).

It used to be on C4 late on weekend nights but not anymore. :(

Off Centre.
    Yeah.. it was on Network 2 (or RTE2 if you prefer) for a while on Sunday nights.

Was actually written and co-created by the guys that made American Pie (well.. the first two anyways).. hence a number of 'American Pie' similarities - Eddie Kaye Thomas and John Cho as main characters and also Shannon Elizabeth, Jason Biggs and Eugene Levy all put in guest appearances at one point.

Quite a funny little sitcom.

Lasted for 2 seasons - Season 1 consisted of 21 episodes. And Season 2 just 7 episodes (obviously cut soon after filming resumed for the season). Can remember a nice little in-joke at the start of the 2nd series about why is it that shows with very little or no viewers are still on the air? And all characters then just stared at the camera.

All in all - a very under-rated series indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Nightwish wrote:
    Oz
    The Daily Show

all of the most underrated tv shows, being shown over here.

who is showing Oz atm. i wouldnt mind watching it again

Oz
    The Daily Show

Are these underrated shows. Not in america at least.

Yes RTÉ don't have a clue when it comes to Law And Order. 12am on RTÉ TWO sunday nights :eek: and it just doesn't work for Sky One it isn't a sky one show. IMO.

Oz shown in full on TG4 during prime time. It fairly contraversal for the more conservative TV stations. But totally underrated by C4 who had it on late night.
    Don't hold your breath for a release here though

TG4 have been fairly good with this show. They finish the series a while back before any british tv station did.

Would love to see the Daily Show. TV3 could buy it instead of Ricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Elmo wrote:
    Are these underrated shows. Not in america at least.

Yes RTÉ don't have a clue when it comes to Law And Order. 12am on RTÉ TWO sunday nights :eek: and it just doesn't work for Sky One it isn't a sky one show. IMO.

It is not underrated, it is just not very good.

Law and Order hasn't worked on any channel this side of the Atlantic, it has been given about half a dozen prime time slots on UK and Irish channels throughout it's run and has never done well. Even trying to piggyback on the slightly more successful spin-offs has not worked.

Midnight on RTE is about all it's worth, there are much better programmes that have worse timeslots. It is at best B-grade US TV, best suited to the cable and satellite only channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭ConansGal

canker wrote:
    Forensic detectives and FBI files, they're on most nights one after the other at about 12 on discovery (i think they're on earlier aswell but i never catch it then).
    I love those programmes. Theyre really really good. I watch them practically everynight. The best part is theyre real. But I must say i do like csi:miami. I just know if anything happened to me Id want Horatio to be the guy taking care of me! :v:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

canker wrote:
    Forensic detectives and FBI files
    yes, yes, yes. i <3 FBI files. forensic detectives i could take or leave though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

No way, Forensic Detectives is way better than FBI Files. It has a bigger penis than FBI Files too. :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Beggars and Choosers and Police Squad.

Mike.

Law and Order hasn't worked on any channel this side of the Atlantic, it has been given about half a dozen prime time slots on UK and Irish channels throughout it's run and has never done well. Even trying to piggyback on the slightly more successful spin-offs has not worked.

Law And Order:SVU gets 140,000 viewers on TV3 and is their second most watch american show after Malcome in the Middle (Far enough they don't have many good american shows)
    Law And Order:CI gets 140,000 viewers on RTÉ TWO that is good for RTÉ TWO maybe not as good as LOST or DH but still very good for RTÉ.
    And when shown in Prime Time Law and Order can get 140,000 viewers on RTÉ TWO just as many as CSI: Miami and CSI:NY.

No it has no audience this side of the atlantic.:rolleyes:

Back to underrated shows:

Waterrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Arrested development has to be one of the most underated shows ever, it is genuinely funny and unmissable, King of queens and viva la bam are good aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anyone see Buried on Ch4 couple of years back? Had a guy from lock stock but it was quite dark. would love to get it on dvd. Oz is defo the most under-rated show and Kingpin is worth watching too. Anyone know where I can see Freaks and Geeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Ed. the show set in stuckyville about the guy with the law firm in a bowling alley, I really liked this show but I don't know of many people who actually watched it. It deserves a mention just for www.shavemypoodle.com

Ed.
    Ed was fantastic!

One show we really need on DVD!
    sweetie wrote:
    Anyone know where I can see Freaks and Geeks?
    A lot of online stores have it for sale - it's only available on Region 1. Do a search here for the best price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

[Law and Order hasn't worked on any channel this side of the Atlantic./QUOTE]

The times RTE show it on Sunday nights is a disgrace.

It gives prime time slots to stuff like Fair City and gives quality shows the graveyard slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Ed. the show set in stuckyville about the guy with the law firm in a bowling alley, I really liked this show but I don't know of many people who actually watched it. It deserves a mention just for www.shavemypoodle.com

Ed was really great. Last I saw of it RTE showed a whole season of it Mon-Fri
    over about 4 weeks at 8ish in the morning. This was June 2004. I taped every one and enjoyed them to the full that evening. Always put me in good mood.

Another quick note on Ed...

I just noticed today in the TV Listings that they're showing repeats (obviously) of it weekdays on Channel 4 at 12:30pm (lunchtime).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

basquille wrote:
    Another quick note on Ed...

I just noticed today in the TV Listings that they're showing repeats (obviously) of it weekdays on Channel 4 at 12:30pm (lunchtime).

From today they are showing series 4 which has not aired before on RTE or Ch4.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭omahony99

One of my favourite shows is The Drew Carey show but its really been yanked around the schedules, from double episodes Tuesday nights at 1:30am (after Ed) to Friday nights at 12:30am. I'm not sure if RTE have given up on it or not. Its not available on DVD either.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭saado

No mention of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace? :(

saado wrote:
    No mention of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace? :(

Great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mikelmessi

Ed was class allright. I think Third Watch is a decent cop show but it's shown at ridiculous times too. I don't know if it's the most underrated show, but definitely the most badly and randomly scheduled show was Homicide. Channel 4 and RTE2 would either show it at 1 am or just drop it for weeks. Al Giradelli was a legend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mikelmessi wrote:
    but definitely the most badly and randomly scheduled show was Homicide. Channel 4 and RTE2 would either show it at 1 am or just drop it for weeks. Al Giradelli was a legend.
    Word. I had to constantly scan the papers to see what crazy time I had to set the VCR for each week. The best cop show ever (along with its creator-sibling "The Wire") and Frank Pembleton rocks. At least the show got a bit of a send off with the TV movie which RTE did actually show..

Advertisement