Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart broadband exchange update

• 01-11-2005 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

The following exchanges/ dates will be met in the coming weeks:

North Main:- First week in November (this week).
    Letterkenny:- First/ second week in November.

Galway HPO:- Second week in November.
    Mervue:- Second week in November.
    Shantalla:- Second week in November.
    Whitehall:- Second week in November.

I'll post as they go live.

I don't have any other accurate updates at present.

Garfield.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Has the number porting thing been sorted out yet? or if not is it likely to be sorted any time soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks for the update...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dendrite

yes, thanks for the update.
    Fingers crossed for North Main.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

is it really worth the wait for all these exchanges to come up. The 256Kbps upload is the only thing that is in anyway better than the other Irish ISP's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Jakkass wrote:
    is it really worth the wait for all these exchanges to come up. The 256Kbps upload is the only thing that is in anyway better than the other Irish ISP's
    And the fact its a hellofalot cheaper, and has a larger cap...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

any word on the Athlone exchange?

And the fact its a hellofalot cheaper, and has a larger cap...
    magnet networks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hi,
    North Main:- First week in November (this week).
    Letterkenny:- First/ second week in November.
    I'll post as they go live.
    Garfield.

How soon can one get a connection once the exchange is live?

Jakkass wrote:

Its broadband for effectively €11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Yeah when will the Athlone exchange be opening up? Is there a realistic date confirmed yet? If Not, when is the best guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Still waiting for a reply from you about Nutley exchange Garfield.

Its broadband for effectively €11
    you could argue that magnet networks is broadband with 4Mbit down and 512Kbit up for €24.33 (tv, broadband, telephone €72.99)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ComputerMad

Do you know if and when the Raphoe Exchange might be enabled?

Jakkass wrote:
    you could argue that magnet networks is broadband with 4Mbit down and 512Kbit up for €24.33 (tv, broadband, telephone €72.99)

Not really - when are Magnet going to do anywhere outside of new housing developments? At least Smart are competing in the same arena as the other DSL providers. you might as well suggest that the only Broadband worth getting is that cable company in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The following exchanges/ dates will be met in the coming weeks:

Shantalla:- Second week in November.

Thats great news Garfield,
    What is the fastest way to get connected once they are live? I dont give a crap about changing my phone number.

Sean.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Not really - when are Magnet going to do anywhere outside of new housing developments? At least Smart are competing in the same arena as the other DSL providers. you might as well suggest that the only Broadband worth getting is that cable company in Dungarvan.

Isn't Magnet doing 4MB/4MB in new estates and 4MB/512 elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Isn't Magnet a service that is extremely hard to get as it requires FTTH (fibre to the home) technology that is only being put in new housing estates?

actually they have believe it or not. they have layed down cabling in Lucan to people not in the exclusive housing developments. haylenger is right its 4MBit / 512KBit to people not in the new housing developments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

slave1 wrote:
    any word on the Athlone exchange?

I asked this question myself on another post recently and was told not to expect Smart in Athlone till sometime in the New Year, mind you this answer wasn't given by Garfield.

Personally I wont be switching until the number porting issue gets sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skeesicks

So still no news of the Cork Central exchange then Garfield?
    It seems like its been first on the "Next" list in your signature for ages and now everywhere else on that list will be available before us.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

Hope someone from \Smart sees this thread. Yep, Athlone is a priority. Many people waiting, but waiting leads to frustration. Hellooooooo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 will_forde

Any news on the tralee exchange.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ooh, I look forward to the unbundling of Letterkenny exchange! I will be seriously considering porting over to Smart.

One question, what downtime would I expect as I presumably would have to cancel my Eircom DSL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Your phone number 1872xxxx is in the exchange NORTH MAIN.
    Congratulations, Broadband is available to you!
    Would you like to avail of this amazing offer?

Fiiiiiinally.

Change of number is still required I take it? "Free line-rental for life" deal expired too I'd imagine?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

PiE wrote:
    Fiiiiiinally.

Change of number is still required I take it? "Free line-rental for life" deal expired too I'd imagine?

Change of number still required and Smart are still a long way from the 100.000 so you are ok!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I'd love to know when Dundrum exchange is being updated! Sitting here with my crappy dialup. I ring every second week and get told a different thing everytime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

Personally I wont be switching until the number porting issue gets sorted out.

I can't understand why some people are reluctant to change their telephone number.

People change their address loads of times during their lives
    they move to different countries,
    they change their names eg marriage
    they get extra telephone numbers eg mobile
    they change employer

all similar to changing your telephone number. You have to give friends/family/companies your new information but once it's done, it's done.
    No big deal.

think of the satisfaction of not giving money to Eircon. Plus your getting a better deal with Smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I refuse to change my number. The amount of people that know it from over the years!

I plan to port my number to blueface and get a new number with smart. As far as I can see its a win win situation, unless I'm missing something? Also is it possible to get a router that will prioritise (sp?) packets for a certain port. ie put VOIP packets ahead of torrent packets etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I plan to port my number to blueface and get a new number with smart. As far as I can see its a win win situation, unless I'm missing something?

I was thinking about doing this and posted on boards about it - there were some major snags but I can't remember what they were! Come back search - we miss you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

digitaldr wrote:
    I was thinking about doing this and posted on boards about it - there were some major snags but I can't remember what they were! Come back search - we miss you!

The length of time it can take eircom to port your number to blueface is the only one I remember. Some guy on the VoIP forum said it took eircom 5 months to port his number...

I think you are thinking what people said about having a second line in and switching numbers etc or forwarding calls from old line to new line etc.

Advertisement